LegacyGT.com

I can't believe this has been in my car all along - VF40 findings and questions

Note : I deleted and reposted this thread to change the title, you may have already read this.

So, I am currently in the middle of what I thought was going to be super easy VF40 center cart replacement. I'm nearing the home stretch but I found something that surprised the heck out of me. I also have a question regarding exhaust housings.

1. Let's start with the surprising finding. The stock VF40 that has been on my car since new was improperly built! As shown in the pic my waste gate flap does not completely cover the wastegate! Again, this is fresh out of my bone stock, never been taken apart 2005. Looks like they never installed spacer. Whaaat? I'm hoping covering that might give me a horsepower or 10.

2. I currently have three (3x) "VF40's" in my possession. I use quotes because one is not quite like the others. So the two that match each other - one is from my car, one is from junk yard. Both have exhaust housings marked "R5 H4". The third, also from junkyard is marked "R5 H1". They look to be identical but I am hoping someone knows where this R5 H1 is from and if I can use it. I would like to because one of the two H4's is the one with the messed up wastegate flap and the other is scored inside because the turbine ran all up over inside that thing. The H1 is in great shape, just might not be the right part. If anyone knows anything about these housings I would love some guidance.

My question : Do I use the H4 that was damaged by the turbine breaking off the shaft or the H1 that is in great shape but probably not exactly what is supposed to come with vf40?

Thanks!

VF40_IncorrectBuild.thumb.jpg.0798cffa597972176b38372a8dcf4f2e.jpg

745847286_VF40exhausthousingcompare.thumb.jpg.a2fa7d109c0b239a71a4cfe63ba0d481.jpg

HAMMERDOWN was the first member to show the waste gate issue many years ago. I think there's a fix for it...just need to find that thread...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Found this, may be it will help.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/vf40-issue-could-use-some-help-196493.html

Did a google search for, HAMMERDOWN waste gate issue.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Here, see post #17,

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/waste-gate-172683.html

Being retired, this forum gives me something to do...well I have things to do but...it's currently snowing outside, yeah its April 16th...

Thanks! I had just found it myself at your recommendation. Not sure my torch is up to snuff but I'm going to give it a go!

Otherwise I might try and use the housing marked as "R5 H1". I am going to take a bunch of measurements this weekend using a better measurement device than I had on hand last night. If it is seemingly identical to the "R5 H4" housing I might just go that route.

You can always PM JmP6889928 as he's our "go to guy" for turbo rebuilds.

Ask his advise.

Or take the directions to a local machine shop and see if they can help. If you think outside the box, this type of thing is common for heavy equipment places.

Thanks for input everyone!

Here's where I'm at on this.

1. I will attempt to fix waste gate alignment but do not plan on using the housing for this rebuild.

2. I will use the housing with the "R5 H1" casting marks. Upon further research it seems that the "18" stamping mark inside the turbine inlet is what really matters? Hoping someone who really knows weighs in, otherwise I'm just going to do it and see how it goes.