LegacyGT.com

What Did You Do To Your 6th Gen Today Thread - Vol 3

Looking at all the threads ... the Subaru windshield has been far from durable, it cracks easily and chips easy too.

Enough anecdotes. Let's see some objective data instead. Be sure not to leave out all the people who haven't had windshield problems.

Actually, if you look at other brands' Internet forums you will find the same kind of complaints being lodged against virtually every other passenger vehicle of current manufacture.

My anecdotes are just as valid as anyone else's: Neither my 2015 Legacy nor my 2016 Outback have sustained any cracks or chips despite several moderate impacts from road debris, but even that's no guarantee that one of them won't crack a windshield tomorrow.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I think when you read about guys losing a windshield then you lose two in two months it tweaks your logic. First one I had no idea it even happened. Just noticed it the next day. Dealer said they could see a "very small" impact mark. I had to agree. The one a couple days ago sounded like a gunshot. No idea anything hit my windshield. I was looking all around trying to figure out what happened. Then I noticed the large star (pic above). I hope I can at least get to 2019. Colorado is known for debris, sand, small rocks etc on roadway probably accumulating through the winter. New glass coming Friday....

0 deductible here, switched to State Farm last month.

These things are stupid expensive and my windshield already has a dot in the middle, no crack but I feel the windshields with eyesight are super weak and they easily get cracks.

What is your State Farm windshield coverage?

I think when you read about guys losing a windshield then you lose two in two months it tweaks your logic. First one I had no idea it even happened. Just noticed it the next day. Dealer said they could see a "very small" impact mark. I had to agree. The one a couple days ago sounded like a gunshot. No idea anything hit my windshield. I was looking all around trying to figure out what happened. Then I noticed the large star (pic above). I hope I can at least get to 2019. Colorado is known for debris, sand, small rocks etc on roadway probably accumulating through the winter. New glass coming Friday....
Well I'm on another Windshield No. 3 in 6 Months... 🤬🤬🤬🤬 Road trip to Vegas smal hit 3" from the edge of the "A" Pilliar.. I'm working on something and when I hear back I'll let everyone know..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is actually an important issue as SOA is trying to distinguish the cause of all of these cracked windshields on the Legacy and Outback 6th Gens.

I can tell you that the construction changed in 2017 - 2018 according to SOA from laminiated to the thicker PVB center layer and it's still an issue in some instances.

For those that are getting replacements, are you getting OEM? It seems safelite in some areas hasn't been using OEM. Here's the part number to the newer ones but I'm unsure it will fit.

65009AL41A w/EyeSight

65009AL17D wo/Eyesight

I'm sure this was posted before somewhere but here you go!

Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) Quality Assurance has identified an increase in the number of cracked windshields on some 2015 and 2016MY Legacy and Outback models. Further investigation has determined the root cause for many of these failures to be the ceramic materials used for the black-colored printed perimeter combined with the silver-colored material used for the wiper deicer portion of the windshield glass. In response to this increase, SOA is extending the original warranty on applicable factory-installed windshields to 5 years / unlimited miles. This warranty extension will cover windshield replacement a maximum of ONE TIME where applicable on a vehicle with a VIN prior to those listed in the Production Change Information on page 2 and meeting the guidelines outlined in this bulletin.

Bulletin is 12-192-15R

This is actually an important issue as SOA is trying to distinguish the cause of all of these cracked windshields on the Legacy and Outback 6th Gens.

I can tell you that the construction changed in 2017 - 2018 according to SOA from laminiated to the thicker PVB center layer and it's still an issue in some instances.

For those that are getting replacements, are you getting OEM? It seems safelite in some areas hasn't been using OEM. Here's the part number to the newer ones but I'm unsure it will fit.

65009AL41A w/EyeSight

65009AL17D wo/Eyesight

I'm sure this was posted before somewhere but here you go!

Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) Quality Assurance has identified an increase in the number of cracked windshields on some 2015 and 2016MY Legacy and Outback models. Further investigation has determined the root cause for many of these failures to be the ceramic materials used for the black-colored printed perimeter combined with the silver-colored material used for the wiper deicer portion of the windshield glass. In response to this increase, SOA is extending the original warranty on applicable factory-installed windshields to 5 years / unlimited miles. This warranty extension will cover windshield replacement a maximum of ONE TIME where applicable on a vehicle with a VIN prior to those listed in the Production Change Information on page 2 and meeting the guidelines outlined in this bulletin.

Bulletin is 12-192-15R

I use All Star Auto Glass OEM becsuse dealer said "They wouldnt Warranty Eyesite unless OEM Glass is used" My insurance has to be cussing by now.. I haven't claimed this one yet because I'm waiting to hear back from a company.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have heard of the de-icer / crack issue and since my first episode was near that area, I went to the dealer. However I was over ruled as it was deemed an impact. The next one was definitely an impact that within an hour grew to over a foot long. The previous windshield replacement is stamped "Subaru" on the lower LH corner I believe. I assume my new one today will show same. I just want to go a year (+?) w/o a 3rd repeat.

I have heard of the de-icer / crack issue and since my first episode was near that area, I went to the dealer. However I was over ruled as it was deemed an impact. The next one was definitely an impact that within an hour grew to over a foot long. The previous windshield replacement is stamped "Subaru" on the lower LH corner I believe. I assume my new one today will show same. I just want to go a year (+?) w/o a 3rd repeat.
Never had a replacement and I been hit a few times. I don't want to jinx myself but when it comes to windshield Luck has been on My Side.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Just a quick follow up. This 2nd windshield is not OEM. Fuyao/solar/Acoustic/DOT. It was cheaper too so I think insurance opted to save $. Oh well. Looks good and ES does not mind so far....

I guess it's Chinese (the horror!) but I guess it's not exactly an off brand either:

General Motors, Ford, BMW, Honda, Bentley and more all use Fuyao glass in their newly manufactured automobiles. When top of the line auto glass is required then Fuyao glass is what’s needed.

The dealer won't like it but that's fine.

I was just made aware of the extended warranty on my 2015 Legacy windshield. I had it done over a year ago. I was able to find my receipt and my credit card statement for the amount. I will try calling Subaru support and see if I have any luck.

The 2018 headlights were a bit more challenging from the 2017, since the internals were different, so they had to run the wiring differently and they used different ways to light up the c-light.

I had them black out the turn signal housing to get rid of the chrome in there, things look much more cleaner.

The halos in there was a last moment thing, I didn’t think it would look as good but I am glad I was wrong, it looks sick.

They made sure they left enough clearance for the steering responsive headlights.