LegacyGT.com

$250 A/C Condenser DIY

bryanf

My condenser was another "rock victim" (got to be a design flaw here), so I'm attempting to do a $250 fix. I've already ordered and received a $150 aftermarket condenser and drier that, in theory, is supposed to bolt right up (looks like a better, more traditional design than the subaru part that apparently can be damaged by large bugs). My plan is to replace the condenser myself (looks pretty simple) and then find an A/C place to evacuate and re-charge the system for under $100.

My question is: Are there any single-use seals (gaskets, washers, o-rings, etc) that need to replaced on the connections between the A/C lines and the condenser? I'd rather have all the parts I need before I start...

Thanks in advance...

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

Costs

aftermarket condenser (from these http://www.car-stuff.com) $149

O-rings from subaru $10 (yes, that is outrageous)

evacuate and re-charge $114 (local shop)

For a grand total of $273

Which is a bit higher than my target of $250, but a hell of a lot cheaper than the $800 the dealer wanted.

Changing out the condenser was a easy and the after-market one fit perfectly. It took me about 1.5 hrs from start to finish. Toughest part was trying to get the o-rings off without marring the fittings. I'd be tempted to leave the old ones in place if I had to do this again.

I think the condenser is better than OEM...traditional steel fin design that has got to be more durable than OEM--it probably weighs a couple pounds more. Everything seems to work perfectly at this point, so I'm declaring success.

Install a lower grill mesh - priceless

you see a log of guys with classic cars do this. put some windows screen over the front of the radiator to catch the garbage. or even anything like the home depot guter guard grills ppl make. would hopfully catch/ deflect or otherwise slow down any garbage

This is a problem with all cars now. The condensor is so thin and cheap even small rocks can create a leak.

Just be sure you don't impede airflow to that baby trying to devise some type of screen.

FYI, Freon is a Dupont trademark name for R12. Putting "Freon" in a 134A car makes for a bad day.:)

• 4 weeks later...
how do i know if i am a rock victim? my AC is on for a few seconds, and then it blows somewhat warmer air, then on, then off...

It's normal... That was one of the first things I've complained about to my Dealer, they said it does that to prevent the Evaporator from over-freezing.

Anyway... I just inspected my car for A/C leaks today (it's blowing warm again) at work and confirmed my condenser is fxcked due to a rock :( I'm wondering since it's such a small pinhole, if it could be repaired instead of replaced...

It's normal... That was one of the first things I've complained about to my Dealer, they said it does that to prevent the Evaporator from over-freezing.

:confused: he really said that? bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

:confused: he really said that? bosco

If he's talking about what I'm talking about.. then yes, it actually is normal..

For example on what I'm talking about.. let's say our A/C blows 45 degrees out of the center vents... every 7-10 seconds it'll blow about 50 degrees for a second or two, then go back down to 45.. It's still cold, yes.. but you do feel a slight temperature change every here and there...

• 2 weeks later...
It's been a month since I finished the $273 Condenser fix and I always wondered if the new condenser would be able to keep the car cool at high temps (I live near the coast so it never gets that warm). Well, I took a trip to the mountains this weekend and was stuck in traffic at 100+ degrees with no problems...

could you post up some pics of your condenser fix? also where would be a good idea to place some kind of screen to prevent this? i would say this is a suby only problem as my gf's mitsubishi had to be fixed as a result of what the dealer said was most likely a rock.

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures during the install. There really isn't much to show, the new condenser is a more traditional steel fin construction rather than the aluminum OEM. It replaces the OEM perfectly and seems to work just fine. The only downside is that it is a little heavier, but I think it will be less fragile too.

I don't have a screen on mine, but if you do a search you'll find a couple threads where people have built screens.

• 7 months later...

Archived