LegacyGT.com

Clicking noise on steering wheel - Confirmed by Subaru

Hello,

Sometimes I like to drive with no radio or music and I started hearing a clicking noise in my 2016 Legacy's steering wheel. I took my car to a dealer in CT and after a day in the shop, I was told that Subaru is aware of this issue and is working on a fix - no date was provided though.

The link below has a recording of what this noise sounds like (with the car off and then on). Has anyone else started having this issue? If so, did you receive any feedback other than "Subaru is aware of this issue"?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hs34v3hy4ltf78/legacy_steering%20wheel.mp4?dl=0

Thanks!

Mine only seems to do it when I first start the car and turn the wheel for the first couple of turns of the trip, or when I am turning the wheel when the turn signal is on. It's much worse when the turn signal is on - it sort of sounds like the mechanism that auto turns it off after the turn is clicking through different notches or something.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago mine has developed a squeaking/clicking sound. Doesn't do it all the time and only does it when turning corners. More prominent doing left turns but just today I heard it going right. Does something like three click click clicks then nothing. Weird.

And now it's out of warranty. Bullocks.

• 2 weeks later...

All righty, here's the response I've just got from Subaru's customer service:

We welcome your contact, as it relates to a 2016 Subaru Legacy. We appreciate you reaching out.

We are very sorry to learn of the concern for a clicking noise with the steering. I have reached out to Colonial Subaru on your behalf. The shop foreman confirmed that there is a slight clicking sound. He advised that the power steering rack and all components are operating as designed.

The shop foreman did report the noise to Subaru techline. However, they were advised that this is considered normal operation sound. While there may be an update in the future, there is no firm plan for that.

I hope that this helps. If the noise worsens or if you have any further vehicle issues, please do not hesitate to involve your Subaru retailer.

Thoughts?

All righty, here's the response I've just got from Subaru's customer service:

Thoughts?

My guess is that it is something to do with a turn signal switch rubbing in a way it shouldn't against whatever mechanism auto turns off the signal. Unfortunately it will probably end up being one of those things that poses no issues with actually drivability or safety, but will be annoying until it gets fixed. Whenever I get my tires rotated next I'll try to remember to bring this up with my dealership and see what they say.

What I don't understand is Subaru saying that the noise is "considered normal operation sound". So because my car hasn't made any clicking sounds from December 2015 until July 2017, does this mean it wasn't operating normally? :)

I feel like adding this to the Outback forum as well, to see if more people is having this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, this situation got worse a couple of days after my last post: I started hearing a strange noise, like a piece of plastic was loose inside of the steering wheel when making full turns. Took the car back to the dealer, the car stayed there for a week (also because of the 4th of July holiday), and some parts were replaced.

According to the Invoice: "Technician verified customers concern, found noise coming from roll connector in steering wheel. Replaced roll connector and steering angle sensor".

I also notice that the turn signal lever was getting stiffer - this may be not related to the steering wheel issue I guess - and it was replaced, as well as the switch turn dimmer.

It's been less than 24 hours and the noise on the steering wheel apparently has gone. Crossing my fingers here!

I took my legacy in for a tire rotation and had them take a look at this issue for me. I showed them a short video of it on my phone like the original poster had made and seemed to think it was a roll connector. They offered to order the replacement parts no hassle and install them when they come in next week. I also mentioned to them some clear coat was starting to delaminate from the grill, and the service guy immediately said he would order a new grill under warranty as well, again no questions asked. They even gave me my tire rotation for free.

They definitely adjusted something with one of the connectors or something in the steering since the clicking noise is now gone, so it must just be some connector wiggling loose over time.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago mine has developed a squeaking/clicking sound. Doesn't do it all the time and only does it when turning corners. More prominent doing left turns but just today I heard it going right. Does something like three click click clicks then nothing. Weird.

And now it's out of warranty. Bullocks.

This may not fix your problem but it is something to try:

Loosen the steering column uni-joint clamp bolt in the engine bay two turns but no more than that.

With the vehicle on the ground (not jacked up or on stands) put the tilt position of the steering column in the neutral downward position.

With the engine running turn the steering wheel half a turn one way, then the other, & back to the straight ahead position a couple of times (a couple of bits of cardboard under the tyres makes it easier for the wheels to turn).

Grab hold of the steering column uni-joint & wiggle it from side to side & up/down to make sure it is correctly positioned/re-positioned on the steering shaft splines.

Re-tighten the steering column uni-joint bolt (correct torque is 17.7 ft-lb).

Put steering wheel back to your desired tilt position.

SERVICE BULLETIN # 04-17-17

2015-2017MY Legacy and Outback 2015-2017MY WRX

Rattling Sound from Steering Rack

NUMBER:

DATE: 09/13/17

This bulletin provides a service procedure to address isolated customer concerns of a rattling sound identi ed as coming from the Electronic Power Steering (EPS) rack assembly. The repair involves installation of a new tension spring for the worm gear to reduce / eliminate the condition. It should be noted the condition is NOT detrimental to the operation of the EPS system.

PRODUCTION CHANGE INFORMATION:

The new EPS rack springs were incorporated into production starting with the following VINs:

04-17-17

Vehicle / Model

Starting VIN

Legacy

H*069171

Outback

H*429659

WRX

J*801300

PART INFORMATION:

A special tool bit is required to remove the cover screw for access to the tension spring. An inch-pound torque wrench will also be necessary. ONE tool will be provided to each Retailer AT NO CHARGE to coincide with this bulletin’s release. Additional bits can be sourced (at user expense) from either Bosch or Matco. Both tool suppliers will utilize the same BTP40P part number.

Description

Part Number

SPRING KIT NBL

34130AL010

This may not fix your problem but it is something to try:

Loosen the steering column uni-joint clamp bolt in the engine bay two turns but no more than that.

With the vehicle on the ground (not jacked up or on stands) put the tilt position of the steering column in the neutral downward position.

With the engine running turn the steering wheel half a turn one way, then the other, & back to the straight ahead position a couple of times (a couple of bits of cardboard under the tyres makes it easier for the wheels to turn).

Grab hold of the steering column uni-joint & wiggle it from side to side & up/down to make sure it is correctly positioned/re-positioned on the steering shaft splines.

Re-tighten the steering column uni-joint bolt (correct torque is 17.7 ft-lb).

Put steering wheel back to your desired tilt position.

Thanks for this. I went through this process of inspection and didn't find any problems. My noise sounds like it's coming from inside the car, like a piece of plastic in the column rubbing. And it's still not consistent. I'll ignore it for the time being, it a minor thing.

My noise sounds like it's coming from inside the car, like a piece of plastic in the column rubbing. And it's still not consistent. I'll ignore it for the time being, it a minor thing.

After my experience with a clicking noise in the steering column I thought that may have done the trick with your car.

The slight clicking noise I was getting was only after a left lock when reversing was followed by a partial right lock when driving forward. As the wheel was turned to the right I was getting two distinct clicks from within the column. Because it didn’t happen all the time I thought it was random but after some testing I found I could repeat it every time. Even though the clicking noise wasn’t loud, my guess is the noise was coming from the blinker cancel mechanism as the steering wheel was being turned to the right. Adjusting the steering column uni-joint as I mentioned earlier eliminated the noise.

My clicking noise started after I fitted the steering dampener lockdown even though I followed the install instructions correctly. I found from the service manual that there is a certain procedure for re-tightening the two steering uni-joint clamp bolts to eliminate any problems such as tight steering, & after following that procedure I totally eliminated the noise.

Edit: If a noise coming from the steering column can’t be fixed or identified I would be concerned that it could be something like the wiring in the column rubbing or catching when the steering wheel was turned. Although I haven’t heard of this happening in the gen6 Liberty/Legacy or gen5 Outback, the SJ XT Foresters had a recall some time ago to rectify a problem like that: See this ozfoz.com post.

Archived