LegacyGT.com

I had an interesting experience trying to buy new (aluminum) wheels to replace the stock steel wheels that came with my 1993 Legacy wagon. This was over ten years ago, but I'll bet the situation is still the same today.

I went to the local tire store (WheelWorks) and tried to buy new wheels and tires together. They know all about the tires. They have many models of wheels on display, and can talk sort-of knowledgeably about outer DIA, inner DIA, width, and bolt pattern. But when it comes to actually buying the wheels, they cannot help you (on a Saturday). I infer that there is a "secret" parameter (which I believe is depth of the bolt mounting plane and the clearance issues that go with that), and the tire store guys do not understand what it is and must make a call to the factory to get the OK on this. The factory is closed on weekends, so no possibility of a sale.

I visited a Goodyear tire store on the same day and found essentially the same situation. No possibility of a sale. I visited a third store, same thing.

So I went to an internet vendor (probably TireRack) and they were glad to help me. Wheels and tires selected in minutes (on a Sunday) and shipped to me via UPS for very reasonable prices.

So my question is: am I correct about the mounting plane parameter? Why is it such a big secret? Even the internet guys who gave the approval and sold me the wheels would not talk about the "secret parameter". Is the whole car industry this way? There is nothing specific to Subaru here, all cars have wheels and tires....

• 2 weeks later...
I know now that the "secret parameter" is called "offset", but I guarantee the guys at the tire stores did not use that word and did not know what the issue was. It was a striking and unusual situation: I was standing in a showroom full of product (some of which would surely work on my car) and waving money at the salesmen, but they absolutely could not sell me anything on a Saturday. And they didn't really know why! Three different tire stores! Most people don't buy new wheels very often (although this crowd is different), so I have never heard of anyone else running into this situation. I wonder if it is still true today? I bet it is.

Subaru has high offset so most generic aftermarket wheels don't come in the proper amount. I wouldn't have to go out on a limb to say that most people upgrade to better Subaru wheels. Too bad B BS are hard to find in 5X100 because the same in the 5X114 are cheap and plentiful. The price difference is about the cost of a 5x114 hub swap, lol

Subaru has high offset so most generic aftermarket wheels don't come in the proper amount. I wouldn't have to go out on a limb to say that most people upgrade to better Subaru wheels. Too bad B BS are hard to find in 5X100 because the same in the 5X114 are cheap and plentiful. The price difference is about the cost of a 5x114 hub swap, lol

What 5x114 swap?

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Hub swap meaning full sti trans and diff swaps..there is no such thing as just hub swaps because the axles are bigger in diameter and shorter in length to hold the powerof a turbo charged motor. I looked into this as well and you can't just swap knuckles and hubs without axles. Can't swap axles without the differentials etc etc until the whole drivetrain is in your car.

yeah the STI. I kick myself because I had a chance to get a totaled bugeye wrx for 500$, front end was smashed bad though. So bad that it was like that subaru commercial "they lived". It had a jdm v8 sti motor with a full STI 5x114 swap, brembos, DBA rotors.

Archived