LegacyGT.com

Palm Springs Roads - any good ones?

killerniceguy

I am driving down from Calgary to Palm Springs to spend the summer. I have never experienced the desert heat so I am looking forward to that...I think.

Can anyone recommended any good roads to drive in the Palm Springs area? I keep on reading of the famed Californian canyon roads but have no idea were to start. If there are any other automotive 'must do' in the area I would like to know about those too.

Many thanks!

KNG

The California canyon roads....are in the canyons. Palm Springs is in the middle of the desert...I've never seen anything but straight flat roads out there. The San Bernardino mountains are about an hour west, there are some good roads there. Another hour or so will get you to the coast, where there are lots of great canyon roads.

Not afraid to drive, what is another couple hours when I have driven 25 to get there. Is there a online resource for peoples favourite roads to check out? Searching is coming up with little, maybe I am not asking the right question?

Hot is right. A hot day up here is 80 with two days a year at 90. I am happy we have a pool.

Not afraid to drive, what is another couple hours when I have driven 25 to get there. Is there a online resource for peoples favourite roads to check out? Searching is coming up with little, maybe I am not asking the right question?

I don't know of any such resources, so here's what I know. Google'ing these roads will probably get you some good info.

Malibu (~140mi from palm springs):

Yerba Buena Rd

Mullholland Hwy

Decker Cyn

Encinal Cyn

Latigo Cyn

Las Virgenes Rd/Malibu Cyn Rd (one becomes the other)

Piuma Rd

Stunt Rd

Tuna Cyn Rd (One way only down, brand new pavement, extremely technical)

West LA (~120mi):

Sunset Blvd (good if you want to look at expensive houses, not really for driving necessarily)

San Juan Capistrano/Oceanside area (~80-100mi):

Ortega Hwy aka HWY 74

Palomar Mountan & Palomar Mtn Observatory

LA Foothills/San Bernardino Mtns (~110mi):

Angeles Crest Hwy aka HWY 2

Mt. Wilson & Mt Wilson Observatory

Big Tujunga Cyn Rd

Enjoy!

take the 74 out of Palm Springs

Palms to Pines (CA SR74) out of Palm Desert (immediately adjacent to Palm Springs) up to Idyllwild. Fun run - desert floor to about 7000 feet with enough turns to keep a constant smile on your face.

Also, don't forget to stop in Las Vegas (if you're close enough) on your way down and visit Carroll Shelby's museum at LV Motor Speedway.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

take the 74 out of Palm Springs

Palms to Pines (CA SR74) out of Palm Desert (immediately adjacent to Palm Springs) up to Idyllwild. Fun run - desert floor to about 7000 feet with enough turns to keep a constant smile on your face.

Also, don't forget to stop in Las Vegas (if you're close enough) on your way down and visit Carroll Shelby's museum at LV Motor Speedway.

this^^^^^

Box Canyon Road between Hwy 111 and I-10 is a pretty cool drive...I found it by accident one time.

Also, Chuckwalla Valley Raceway is about an hour east of Palm Springs just off I-10 if you want to hit a fun track, though I don't know if anyone hosts track days there in the summer (I was out there last week and it was 110 degrees at noon)...

^^ That's a great list of roads! SBT mentioned a good route which is close, take the 74w into the mtns follow towards Hemet, take the 243n which will dump u out on the 10.

For really good canyon rds u need to be on the west side of those mtns. I live out in Banning which is close to PS. I'm off work on mon-tues. PM me if u want some company.

Archived