LegacyGT.com

Review of JmP Custom VF52

To those with VF52 LGTs, how comparable would it be to my experience driving a stock 2017 STi? From my quick research, it seems that the VF48 in that car spools very, very similarly to the VF52. I loved the way that STi drove, even with the stock tune. Definitely drove a lot better than my wagon that desperately needs a valve adjustment and a good cleaning of the oil pan and OCVs :lol:

• I Donated Too
It went on for awhile and had quite a bit before this post: https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5288641&postcount=3944

There was lots of words.

I want to add a funny side note about this "Snowplow" business. It was around the same time as the slightly more infamous "SGT Daddy" thread; A moment in LegacyGT history where the OP tried to convince many, many forum members that it was almost a design flaw that Subaru had not included hood louvers in the GT. He went on to convince us all that cutting Home Depot floor vents into our hood was DEFINITELY a good idea - this resulted in the thread turning into flames.

Then along came JMP and his avatar at the time, a picture of him sitting in a NASCAR grinning inanely and his thread on his 'invention' of a front end aero splitter for the Legacy GT. Once again the suggestion to the forum at large, it was a good idea. Such was the time on the forum, the thread turned to flames quickly and while I was not the worst by far I certainly 'joined in the fun' - JMP6something899992888 - no one can remember that shit and neither did I particularly remember the thread because it was the times of Gire and other mods desperately trying to keep order and the ban hammer used to smash down daily as things regularly went out of control... (BMX, NoDRFT anyone?)

Fast forward to late 2015. John has flown all the way to Massachusetts just to visit little me! He came because we had formed a friendship over many talks and the previously mentioned turbo. He got to drive the car I had put it in and we ended the afternoon sitting back at my home having a good long chat. As one would, he mentioned some of his other innovations one of which was a front splitter he once made for the Legacy and how a thread he made about it didn't go very well and they called it a snowplow.

Distant and long since dormant wheels in my head started to turn... and suddenly as my blood ran cold and my heart sank to the bottom of my legs in the realization of just who JMP6889928 was and what I had once said to the guy now sitting on my couch, in my house, but a few feet from me and definitely within swinging reach... Fortunately it seemed John also didn't remember "Sigmafour" probably because well I hadn't been the worst but still, I owed him an apology and in doing so we had a look at the old thread and thank god, a good laugh about it.

TLDR: Be careful what you say to strangers on the internet.

Sgt Daddy? That focker is why my race wagon has carbon fiber hood louvers. Not sure who decided cutting dozens of 2 inch holes in the aluminum skid plate was good idea, tho

Geez it's like olde home week. Pretty soon we'll have waspgt, losangleslgt, mr.hicksta, mrtris and other notable interesting flame war instigators coming up. Tbf, mr.hicksta's theme continues to this day, as I believe its a requirement for owning a lgt.

Edited by boxkita

I’ll add my name to the hat, I also have a JMP custom VF52. I can’t review it because I only just had my first drive on Wednesday and have a lot of break in period in front of me before I stretch her legs. But I can say John took care of me and the final product exudes quality.

oIJf5EG.jpg

Got my custom VF40 for JMP back in January and am getting tuned by Cryotune. Car pulls hard all the way to redline. Even though I sent him a cheap Chinese CHRA on accident, he was still able to get through all the thread lock and upgrade the internals. JMP is the man. The turbo was very well done and his attention to detail through the process is unparalleled.

Edit: Realized this thread was for the VF52. Either way I highly recommend JMP.

e740a07ce2d2098dcff1ed6906d14f13.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Edited by dwmccauley01

Where/who do you guys get your tune/tuner from for the VF52? Thanks
I believe Dave at Cryotune Performance tunes subarus with aftermarket turbos often. The Tuning Alliance is another great option.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Where/who do you guys get your tune/tuner from for the VF52? Thanks

Dave @cryotune is awesome I'm getting 8L/100KM a friend of mine with a tune from a local guy is getting 13L/100km on a 2012 STI that came stock with a VF52 for reference. Highly recommend getting an Etune or Dyno if you are in or around his neck of the woods.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

• 1 month later...
Glad I came across this thread. I will be in the market soon for a turbo for my 06' OBXT. This is a stock block with 137k well kept. I have the option of a VF52 or going with a BNR16 OR 18G. I would be happy with 300awhp and slightly higher torque numbers with supporting mods. For a quick spool and strong pull thru redline, would I be happier with the JMP VF52 or going with the BNR?? Does the JMP give you the option to have a billet compressor wheel, does JMP modify this turbo not only for reliability but for better overall power? Really interested in this turbo and is the price comparable to the 16/18Gs?

Glad I came across this thread. I will be in the market soon for a turbo for my 06' OBXT. This is a stock block with 137k well kept. I have the option of a VF52 or going with a BNR16 OR 18G. I would be happy with 300awhp and slightly higher torque numbers with supporting mods. For a quick spool and strong pull thru redline, would I be happier with the JMP VF52 or going with the BNR?? Does the JMP give you the option to have a billet compressor wheel, does JMP modify this turbo not only for reliability but for better overall power? Really interested in this turbo and is the price comparable to the 16/18Gs?

you could pm him? And ask all those questions. Be sure to ask for something off the wall. Because Im still annoyed I didn't get my custom titanium wheel for my hta68 (he had a lame excuse about the supplier being a flake).

He's built a couple of super fast rev'ving turbos. Not sure who bought them, but they were a nice build.

JMP will do either a stock rebuild or a “custom” rebuild.

The custom rebuild will use A billet compressor wheel. Either way he is focused on giving you something reliable. But the stock rebuild, I don’t believe will get you any more power than a normal VF52. A VF52 should give a bit of an increase over the stock VF40, but if you’re looking for 300awhp I think the custom is a better fit if you do go with the VF. I’m sure 300 is possible with a standard VF52 though.

As far as a comparison to a BNR I am no help there. I am still on break in on my engine so my JMP hasn’t seen boost yet, and I wouldn’t have experience with a BNR to compare even if it had. Don’t know the cost on a BNR but I think JMP will do a rebuild for around $800 for a custom, less for a standard rebuild. That’s if you supply the core. Idk what he charges for a core but it’s not much I think, but idk if he always has a stock of them.

The only other thing to consider is lead time. JMP is just one man, and he does not do this full time. It took a few weeks to ship my turbo there and for him to rebuild and get it back to me. It could be more or less for you depending on how many others he has in front of yours and what else he has going on in his life. Doesn’t sound like that’s an issue for you if you decide sooner than later though.

@SageAbkatsor,

Thanks for the info. You are right I am not in a rush and if he can do a custom build for what I am looking for I would wait and patronize him as I have heard nothing but good things about his work. Really looking for a billet turbo to help with reliability and spool time.

Even if I am under 300awhp I will be happy, as I have a stock motor and not planning on pushing it. My stock turbo made me want to upgrade when I went to Home Depot and picked up a few bags of potting soil and on the way home it felt like I was towing a truck. :lol:

I will definitely supply the core and lead time can be a few weeks as long as I know I'm getting what I want, I will be patient. Do you mind sharing your JMP specs or mums the word? Let us know your thoughts on your JMP once your engine is broken in and you are able to boost. Is this your first JMP turbo?

JMP will do either a stock rebuild or a “custom” rebuild.

The custom rebuild will use A billet compressor wheel. Either way he is focused on giving you something reliable. But the stock rebuild, I don’t believe will get you any more power than a normal VF52. A VF52 should give a bit of an increase over the stock VF40, but if you’re looking for 300awhp I think the custom is a better fit if you do go with the VF. I’m sure 300 is possible with a standard VF52 though.

As far as a comparison to a BNR I am no help there. I am still on break in on my engine so my JMP hasn’t seen boost yet, and I wouldn’t have experience with a BNR to compare even if it had. Don’t know the cost on a BNR but I think JMP will do a rebuild for around $800 for a custom, less for a standard rebuild. That’s if you supply the core. Idk what he charges for a core but it’s not much I think, but idk if he always has a stock of them.

The only other thing to consider is lead time. JMP is just one man, and he does not do this full time. It took a few weeks to ship my turbo there and for him to rebuild and get it back to me. It could be more or less for you depending on how many others he has in front of yours and what else he has going on in his life. Doesn’t sound like that’s an issue for you if you decide sooner than later though.

2008 Outback XT 5MT. Dyno from a custom built VF52, (11 blade billet wheel) by Jon here. Surgeline's Mustang Dyno is known to be a heartbreaker so YMMV depending on what dyno you're using. This is with stock fueling. Also running his custom Evo 16G in my track car. Love both turbos, Jon is a great builder.

JMP VF52.PDF

Edited by shralp

Those are some great numbers. I am not looking for big numbers but 300awhp and torque above the 300ft lb mark. I believe 08' came with top feed and better fueling than the 06'. So you are at an advantage there. I have both sidefeed/topfeed 850s. So i have fueling covered but I prefer to go top feeds and a bigger FP. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like John really knows how to upgrade the stock turbos.

2008 Outback XT 5MT. Dyno from a custom built VF52, (11 blade billet wheel) by Jon here. Surgeline's Mustang Dyno is known to be a heartbreaker so YMMV depending on what dyno you're using. This is with stock fueling. Also running his custom Evo 16G in my track car. Love both turbos, Jon is a great builder.

Those are some great numbers. I am not looking for big numbers but 300awhp and torque above the 300ft lb mark. I believe 08' came with top feed and better fueling than the 06'. So you are at an advantage there. I have both sidefeed/topfeed 850s. So i have fueling covered but I prefer to go top feeds and a bigger FP. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like John really knows how to upgrade the stock turbos.

300/300+ ARE big numbers on a stock block. Allowing for the ~25% awd tax, that's closer to 375/375 crank.

If you aren't working with a tuner, you might want to find someone who can help you put together pieces to get to yer goal.

I will be dealing with AndrewTech(the original owner) and TurboXS on this one. I am doing as much research to see where I want to be and take it to them and get the reality of how to get there. But I will be getting the tuned done by TurboXS. Thanks for the info, it puts things more in perspective.

300/300+ ARE big numbers on a stock block. Allowing for the ~25% awd tax, that's closer to 375/375 crank.

If you aren't working with a tuner, you might want to find someone who can help you put together pieces to get to yer goal.

For reference, on my '05 GT Wagon track car I ran a regular OEM VF52 for a number of years before swapping in the 16G. On the same dyno that my JMP VF52, (stock fueling), Outback was done on, my '05 made 296whp/318wtq with the OEM VF52 / DW 740cc side feeds / Walbro 255 pump.

Well, the reason for the rebuild by John is because this turbo is used. I was told it has 60k on it but for my peace of mind I rather have it rebuilt so I know it won't go out on me anytime soon. And while having it rebuilt why not have it upgraded too.

JMP will receive my VF40 for a custom build Monday ( John, if you read this no hurry :))

Catted DP, possibly a new TM intercooler and a tune to follow, I've had the wagon since new, very well maintained 134k, it's finally time to put out a bit more HP.

JJr,

Can you let John know he has a plethora of folks waiting for his services...;). I sent him a PM but just being patient and waiting for a response, I realize he is a busy person.

JMP will receive my VF40 for a custom build Monday ( John, if you read this no hurry :))

Catted DP, possibly a new TM intercooler and a tune to follow, I've had the wagon since new, very well maintained 134k, it's finally time to put out a bit more HP.

• 1 month later...
JJr,

Can you let John know he has a plethora of folks waiting for his services...;). I sent him a PM but just being patient and waiting for a response, I realize he is a busy person.

I pm'd him as well for his services. I can wait while getting the 2nd takata recall done. :mad::spin: