LegacyGT.com

Novice 2007 Outback DIYer

Just bought a 2007 Subaru Outback Legacy. I do love it. Great engine (just rebuilt) but has some annoying things I just need to fix. I would appreciate your seasoned advice! The list:

1. Chirp not working on lock/unlock with fob

2. Driver's door does not loch/unlock with fob or button on door, only with the key. And sometimes the key doesn't work unless i fidget with it for a minute. It doesn't seem to be related to temperature (cold). I've already googled and studied videos on taking the door apart. It seems within my skill level, but what do you think is the problem?

3. I definitely want to install an aftermarket touch screen radio that interfaces with my iPhone. Any advice on which radio is a good choice and where to get the wiring harness/installation kit.

4. There are a few areas I would like to do touch up paint. What is the best place to get paint that matches Subaru's colors. I have the pale gold Subaru Outback Legacy Base model.

5. Will the 17 inch wheels fit on it? Mine is a 2007 2.5i basic with the 16 inch steel wheels. I got a 2006 2.5i that has a seized engine for parts real cheap, and I want to put the 17 alloys that it has on mine.

I guess that's enough for now. Thanks for ya'lls considerations of my new project!;)

The 17s will fit fine no worries.

I think the chirp can be disabled through some finagling keys and blah blah. I think it's in the cheap or free mods sticky. However I unplugged mine. I'd check that first, it's on the passenger side by the horns and fog light.

For basic touch ups, I think the $20 paint pen from the dealer is fine. For bigger stuff, I got this kit from touchupdirect that was $50 but it has sand paper, primer, color, clear in separate vials and what not. I have a few big spots to do on the inside door edge.

For the radio, I'd go to Crutchfield and look at all their information. They have guides on disassembly and the whole nine yards. Unless you have automatic climate controls, you won't need anything fancy. For the radio itself there are way too many options. Again use Crutchfield and then I'd look elsewhere for discounts once you have what you want.

Can't help with the door lock though unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the door lock/unlock can you discern if the solenoid is trying to switch the lock on/off or not? Might be able to tell by having a hand on the door while pushing the button on the key fob. If it tries but does not unlock it then maybe the lock mechanism is obstructed or needs lubrication somehow.

For paint touch ups go to paintscratch.com. I've never had a color that is not a perfect match.

If you've made sure it's physically connected as mentioned above, here's the procedure for enabling/disabling the lock and unlock chirp. (See the "Selecting audible signal operation" section.) I always wonder how they came up with that process. On 2005s it is a lot easier.

chirp.thumb.jpg.5dfec0f451de67b79c642345594ef124.jpg

Edited by csaari