LegacyGT.com

Jackal's 20g to 18g e85 Soap Opera

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in last couple weeks, the car has felt a little down on power. I need to grab a couple datalogs and feed them to Virtual Dyno (or maybe get back on the real dyno) but I am confident that it isn't pulling like it used to and it seems that this has been a slow degradation as it kind of snuck up on me.

I will be pulling and checking my plugs and also performing a compression test. Curious if anyone has other thoughts on what I may want to look for. There is not a significant amount of oil consumption, no boost leaks, I'm not running lean. Just don't quite have the same pull. It especially seems underwhelming at 4k - redline. I know that's where our torque curves drop off anyway, but this isn't how the car used to feel.

As always, appreciate the advice.

Plugs would be first thing I'd check along with dirty maf/airfilter. Check all your clamps again for peace of mind with some soapy water to see if any areas bubble for possible leaks. May be that your clutch is showing some signs of wear, which wouldn't surprise me if that was the case too.

Thanks s2. I don't think it's the clutch yet - had a few other cars with slipping clutches and it was pretty noticeable when the RPM's started climbing without direct response from the car. I haven't seen that yet but when I grab my datalogs, I can look at the plots to make sure there aren't any spots where RPM's climb without a matching response from the speed.

Possibly. I have seem my fuel economy drop as well. I have seem pretty normal fuel pressure even with my fuel pump at only 60% duty cycle - I wonder if the injector was stuck open if I would see reduced fuel pressure (or a higher fuel pump DC to compensate) and possibly more rich conditions on my wideband? I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary in terms of my AFRs.

You say it feels slower? Any data to back that up? Maybe you're just getting used to the power; it happens. Pre and post MAF voltage would help... the drop in gas mileage you mention is likely the switch to winter gas. I've seen mine dip as well. Edited by LatentWagen
LW's spec. B / YT / IG

You say it feels slower? Any data to back that up? Maybe you're just getting used to the power; it happens. Pre and post MAF voltage would help... the drop in gas mileage you mention is likely the switch to winter gas. I've seen mine dip as well.

There's E85 winter blend? LOL!

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/27/when-is-e85-not-85-percent-ethanol-when-its-e70-with-an-e85-st/

Apparently so, who woulda thunk it? I believe ethanol has a higher ignition temperature than gas, so that would make sense from a cold-weather start standpoint, too. Not that we've had any seriously cold weather here yet- supposed to get back up into the low 60's early next week.

lol, there is actually winter blend E85. Lower ethanol content for easier cold starts. My first tune was on a winter blend with about 68% ethanol. Later in the spring/summer I was able to find another station that had something closer to 90% ethanol and had it retuned for that.

Car still didn't start for shit on the winter blend in freezing temps :lol:

lol, there is actually winter blend E85. Lower ethanol content for easier cold starts. My first tune was on a winter blend with about 68% ethanol. Later in the spring/summer I was able to find another station that had something closer to 90% ethanol and had it retuned for that.

Car still didn't start for shit on the winter blend in freezing temps :lol:

Wouldn't that make it E68 then? :lol::)

There is a station less than 10 miles from me, I really need to get on this bandwagon.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

lol, that's what I would call it, but the pump still says "E85"

The minimum ethanol content on E85 is usually way below the 85% common sense says it should be. Which is why having a way to test the ethanol content is a must for anyone running E85. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/lfJIQIE.gif

Always appreciate the discussion that gets generated with these questions!

To the questions:

- No, no data yet to support my feeling but I was not able to keep up with my friend in her 2015 WRX two weeks ago when we got on the highway ramp. She was pulling away pretty significantly and when she first got her car (not long after I had my e85 tune), it wasn't even a contest.

- Running ID1000 injectors and DW300 FP

- There is indeed winter blend e85 as others have stated and it has a lower ethanol content to help with starting and even that blend starts hard. However, my trusty ethanol tester verified that my last tank was still at 83% ethanol so at that time, they hadn't switched over. I can also see on my wideband when they switch as the car will run richer for 20 or 30 minutes until it adjusts to the reduced ethanol content.

Anyway, much thanks for everything so far - please keep it coming!

Always appreciate the discussion that gets generated with these questions!

To the questions:

- No, no data yet to support my feeling but I was not able to keep up with my friend in her 2015 WRX two weeks ago when we got on the highway ramp. She was pulling away pretty significantly and when she first got her car (not long after I had my e85 tune), it wasn't even a contest.

- Running ID1000 injectors and DW300 FP

- There is indeed winter blend e85 as others have stated and it has a lower ethanol content to help with starting and even that blend starts hard. However, my trusty ethanol tester verified that my last tank was still at 83% ethanol so at that time, they hadn't switched over. I can also see on my wideband when they switch as the car will run richer for 20 or 30 minutes until it adjusts to the reduced ethanol content.

Anyway, much thanks for everything so far - please keep it coming!

Solid info on E85. Makes flex fuel a really appealing option.

With regard to pulling with your (hopefully hot) friend's WRX... that right there is good empirical evidence. So weird, it's gotta be something small. Even with hurt compression, you'd still be making most of your power. Definitely enough to walk a stock WRX, unless she's got naws and is messing with you :lol:

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Let's just say the WRX is an appropriate car for her and she pulls it off well for a 31-year-old mom :)

Yeah, that was kind of my wake-up call as well because we've played a little tag in the past and I've never had trouble just walking away from her. She hasn't done anything to it yet because of the warranty so something has to be up.

I'm hoping with a clean MAF and some new plugs things will be back to normal. I have noticed my fuel economy has been worse now than ever before but with no change in oil consumption, I'm hoping this is just the plugs.

#fingerscrossed

Just for the heck of it, I snagged a short datalog on my way home from work tonight and compared it against a log that I took shortly after my original stage 3 tune. I had to re-install Virtual Dyno so some of the settings may not be correct, but as a way to at least get some more quantitative picture of the output, this paints a pretty significant (albeit depressing) picture.

I also checked my DAM again tonight and it is now at 0.9. I haven't had a chance to do the plugs and the compression test yet - planning to do it Wednesday. All that said though, I'm starting to become more concerned that this is a bigger issue than just plugs. Anyone want to reassure me or offer other possible thoughts...please??

Capture.PNG.cd0c04f1837d579335a8c27ca625ba68.PNG