LegacyGT.com

What a weird place for rust.

I was cleaning my windows after a wash and noticed that there is rust near the quarter rear window. Not sure how I am going to fix this. The rust appears to go even lower inside the rubber seal. Is it possible to remove that piece?

yZ7zRsR.jpg

After taking a look at the Subaru OEM parts website, it appears that the piece is called the Window Channel (62240AJ02A). Little pricey for what it is at $91. I will take it apart and see if it is salvageable and can be repainted. Edited by ssulb

Thankfully that piece is removable or you may be looking at a new door shell.

But $91?? Dang you could possibly get a whole door shell at a yard for that?

Maybe you can get that part at a pick and pull for cheap?

Found it for $76 (Part + Shipping Combined). I linked it below if your interested...

https://estore.subarupartswarehouse.com/p/Subaru_2010_Legacy/Window-Channel-Right/49263249/62240AJ02A.html

Also found it on eBay for $81 (Free Shipping). Linked below.

https://estore.subarupartswarehouse.com/p/Subaru_2010_Legacy/Window-Channel-Right/49263249/62240AJ02A.html

Edited by Alexmed2002

I noticed that mine’s rusting there too! Gotta figure out how to take it off so it doesn’t rot off.

Edit: It doesn’t appear to be in the manual. Delightful.

Edit edit: Wait, I found it! It’s in “Rear Door Glass.” There’s a screw on top under the weatherstrip and two bolts that hold it to the inner door frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SchwarzeEwigkt

Well, at least this problem isn't unique to me. I have seen radiator supports rust or quarter panels but never a trim piece. Hopefully, it didn't affect the metal underneath the weatherstrip.

It seems to be a reasonable replacement but have to tear the entire door apart. I did see the screws under the weatherstrip like SchwarzeEwigkt mentioned. I'm just a little worried about getting the glass back into place with no leaks.

True it may definitely be cheaper to find the piece at the junkyard but I have yet to come across a 5th gen at my local salvage yards.

Edited by ssulb

Well, at least this problem isn't unique to me. I have seen radiator supports rust or quarter panels but never a trim piece. Hopefully, it didn't affect the metal underneath the weatherstrip.

It seems to be a reasonable replacement but have to tear the entire door apart. I did see the screws under the weatherstrip like SchwarzeEwigkt mentioned. I'm just a little worried about getting the glass back into place with no leaks.

True it may definitely be cheaper to find the piece at the junkyard but I have yet to come across a 5th gen at my local salvage yards.

If I had the time I would check here for you guys. But, no such luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Yay! I finally got a chance to install the part today. Here's how it went - pretty simple. I thought I would have problems with the window trying to fall down off the track, but it held fine.

I was very careful with these clips and I used a plastic tool.

hEL4dUG.jpg

I took the door card off.

KlIPEse.jpg

Pealed the sound deadening plastic off. The black glue is very sticky and I had no problem reapplying the plastic at the end. Then, I removed the three screws holding the rusted metal track. (one Philips on top under the door weatherstrip, and two 10mm inside the door)

WdZHqch.jpg

Pulled the rubber window seal out of the rusted metal track and shimmied the track out sideways through the top of the door. (Be careful not to scratch your chrome trim on top)

XWjsD6Q.jpg

Reinstalled the new metal track and fit the window seal back into the metal track. And bam it looked just as new again.

ceDwe0I.jpg

Here is how the old rusted metal track looked like.

V8RdUOX.jpg

lN28oq8.jpg

Edited by ssulb

Could be a cheap coat of paint from the factory. Add that to salty winters and it happens. You should see painted black steel bumpers on Jeeps after a few years.

Also, great write up. I should ask you do some of mine :)

Could be a cheap coat of paint from the factory. Add that to salty winters and it happens. You should see painted black steel bumpers on Jeeps after a few years.

Also, great write up. I should ask you do some of mine :)

You’re probably right. Shitty paint: it’s what makes a Subaru a Subaru!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk