LegacyGT.com

Front mount Sti Manifold

So I’m thinking about adding a FMIC to my build. My tuner doesn’t tune past 19.5 psi on a tmic or pump gas.

So kinda want to do both front mount and e85. The e85 is the easy part but the question is what front mount do I get.

I don’t have the legacy gt turbo or manifold anymore I’m running a sti set up. So finding a sti fmic kit that will bolt on the legacy gt seems to be my problem.

Most of the kits I see for the sti run completely different paths than the gt. I did find this one https://www.dsgperformance.com/ets-front-mount-intercooler-kit-08-13-sti that looks like it would follow a good path without any hassle.

I would have to remove or relocate the washer bottle but the real question is the core itself. Would it fit behind the bumper on a gt since it was sized for a sti.

I don’t really want to buy one and hope it works.

Your tuner will not go above 19.5psi on a tmic or pump gas? What is his logic or are you misunderstanding him? Maybe he is referring to your specific setup? Otherwise that would be utter nonsense.

You very well may have to have some custom piping made or at minimum have an STI kit altered to fit properly.

Ya I did read the gt manifold keeps the temps down more than the sti aluminum manifold. Didn’t see anything mentioned about the flow besides the 2.5i na manifold have equal runners and that would be better than the LGT manifold but no proof was given for that.

Only reason I went with the sti swap was because I just had a vf48 Laying around from my last car. So no reason to get a vf52 when it’s basically the same turbo. I found the tmic and manifold really cheap. So I get an upgraded tmic and turbo in one go. And I like the look of the sti manifold. Not because of the red I actually painted mine wrinkle black.

I believe his reason for not wanting to go above 19.5psi on pump or tmic was more of a safety concern. Not wanting to push it and cause excessive amount of heat. Which I don’t mind just because I do daily my car and I do want it fast but reliable.

Also yes it might just be for my setup and I misunderstood him but that’s where I’m at either way stuck at 19.5.

But Ill give them a quick message and see why exactly they don’t tune past that on a tmic or pump gas.

It has to be your setup. I'm guessing the vf48 is the limiting factor.

I run 25.5 PSI with TMIC, pump gas and E85.

If it isn't a limitation withing your setup, find a new tuner.

To your original question, I'm betting you'll at minimum have to modify the piping for the STI FMIC kit. Your setup is fairly unique, so you may have to be the guinea pig.

ETS does make a core for the LGT (if its any different than the STI core) you could order 08-14 STI piping and an LGT core.

Although, going to a large FMIC with a factory size turbo may not be the best option. Could end up with a bit of lag for marginally cooler charge temps.

Edited by gkinslow

No reason why you can’t safely push past 19.5 lbs on a tmic. If the turbo is out of its effective operating range based on its size, that would be a reason to limit boost. If the turbo size is right and fueling is up to snuff, running higher boost in a tmic (within reason), is perfectly fine.

nice. I have heard good things about this turbo. Forged internal or stock?

sorry for the hijack :spin:

Forged. TiC built. Very few stock pieces left on the car.

Zero stock performance parts.

I am happy with the turbo. I can drive like a normal person and not see a bunch of boost or I can let it eat.

So, ETS makes a FMIC kit for Legacy GT with a STI style turbo.

I still have the factory plastic intake. I could always just pop that back on since the only reason I went STI intake was for the turbo and the bigger intercooler.

But I probably won’t end up going front mount. The transmission is still unmodified and it is a 5eat. Still have to install the transgo kit. Maybe a cooler.

I believe where my car is now is pushing the tranny. If if blows maybe I’ll go for one of the ipt built trannies install a dom xtr 1.5 and then go front mount.

Or maybe this is where I leave my car alone and just finish some little touches since it is my DD and I want to keep it as long as possible.

The modding bug is real lol

Edited by Ninjacheezit

So I’m thinking about adding a FMIC to my build. My tuner doesn’t tune past 19.5 psi on a tmic or pump gas.

So kinda want to do both front mount and e85. The e85 is the easy part but the question is what front mount do I get.

I don’t have the legacy gt turbo or manifold anymore I’m running a sti set up. So finding a sti fmic kit that will bolt on the legacy gt seems to be my problem.

Most of the kits I see for the sti run completely different paths than the gt. I did find this one https://www.dsgperformance.com/ets-front-mount-intercooler-kit-08-13-sti that looks like it would follow a good path without any hassle.

I would have to remove or relocate the washer bottle but the real question is the core itself. Would it fit behind the bumper on a gt since it was sized for a sti.

I don’t really want to buy one and hope it works.

I also used ETS for my legacy GT intercooler setup. They can make just about anything work. I have an STi style turbo on my car with the Legacy GT intake manifold and all I had to do was let them know what I had and they sent me the exact parts I needed. Cant recommend them more!

Heres what it looked like going in, it was a great fit.

1QtsH7-jpVN9eQLqHftOOrMcPWqakp4eVH09vIbmAeahMeYEa5d1pXg90FpyGAywOr1iACDA97kWKTlXb48Fj5lzTvuKyqFZVWO8le_rx9KJxFAm991ofJlYFKhSh94t3TIC4bI_G0m5_wR4shNz5n5JUWZHWMN4PcfOsrnblxrFKDvG0P7Cx6Vj8PYhOxVlzg4kesQKwHNcceCQgsdi_k_E5wRovSjDJ66K93gr2qsQnensJZGcaMA1NPi4R7G0_fptZZRU6ASQbJt5pLpAaeHHJW1f7xIkiJm6n9mZV_R48ZMlVxiU3eDZ07hR4U1bICnJup0DzRoihfNJE21atXIZn9Te-fAAXUDF84Q2ut7w__TEXGxHGlYO0813jbDDQxVCLrNTXqiHZAjOd3tM22Ib9voB3_cXvqWwWHQvqzo3iL6sv3c5vNqJIOMkPTTlpiRsbyRlvoKJI1Y_8zITZk00EcpGwMynvqtYVmjTME5OH8fjWrOwVR8uO_2eSjg2mKivtvSFYhh1w3TWNZAdIfTeXSJz4ZT7pk2RtFLhDFPIRnYK1FM2FMe-h2NjbvF9AeOls5nInBuhryrBBIA3T0JWI-IJAxuPduq_DFZODgyznM37rYpuq4-iQ5Fjqx7HuqXzd2GWfqEitkq1rPPU3GQO9o802cywcLlQOHiv1uqgcIDvOEcGlXoGGLQtrhx3FExST6W6XQOicPKN-2PsZD-wjwpCjcmAIrYLGkCYSFVPxJ-M=w1184-h888-no