LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Bought the Spec B interior so I can replace the worn tan leather and door cards the dog beat up. My boss approved that I can get it shipped to work. Good thing we have 4 docks at work haha. Also been keeping an eye out every day or every other for a spec B 6 speed transmission to match the interior.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Awfulwaffle that is great to hear you were able to make the fix work! It is great to hear that Infosecdad's work is repeatable and transferable. Infosecdad, thank you for laying down the ground work to help reduce dependence on the stealership with specific jobs like this as our beloved cars age!

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

So I've got a cubby pod and some stri boost and oil pressure gauge. Was looking at the instructions for the cubby pod and gauges and I don't really get how they stay in place. The cubby pod says to clamp it in place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I've got a cubby pod and some stri boost and oil pressure gauge. Was looking at the instructions for the cubby pod and gauges and I don't really get how they stay in place. The cubby pod says to clamp it in place?

Are you talking about the pod or the gauges? The pod has a screw on the middle that goes where the center cubby used to attach to. The gauges clamp onto the pod with some hardware the gauges should have come with.

Are you talking about the pod or the gauges? The pod has a screw on the middle that goes where the center cubby used to attach to. The gauges clamp onto the pod with some hardware the gauges should have come with.

Hmm yea for the gauges. The instructions aren't very good. I keep looking stuff up for installing them but I guess that part is self explanatory? Honestly it doesn't even make sense with the stuff it comes with. I saw a thread where someone just used double sided tape to hold in their defi gauges.

Machine shop called me back last Friday and we had a chat about my plans and logistics and an initial quote on labor. Very appreciative with the discussion, hoping the process goes as smooth as it seems it will.

Also just called a local-ish junkyard for a '16 STi steering rack, though it's missing the RH inner tie rod. For $270ish though, I think that's a decent price, even with the extra tie rod and probably boot I'll have to buy to make it a complete set.

The junkyard near me sold their STi rack I was trying to grab so I'm on a wait.

Cleaning up my Brembo calipers, pulled everything apart and they're in pretty good shape. Pistons moved by hand and only one bolt is stuck.

That would be the plan but not entirely sure how I'd do it yet. Initial thoughts would be to find a mouthpiece (for lack of a better term) that fits over the back of the vent in the fender and tapers down to a tube/hose that can be ran to an ideal spot in the engine bay with a sort of velocity stack/horn fitting attached on that end. From there, the Bernoulli principle should take over and the air passing over the fender would create a low pressure vacuum and draw out the engine bay air through the tube. The fitting over the vent would need to be air tight otherwise I bet I'd just be pulling air that is in between the fender and wheel well lining.

Idk though, I'll have to look at things more with the fender off.

Doesn't the undertray create a vacuum below the car such that air is drawn through the hood scoop and through the IC? May end up drawing air in through your fender vent.

It's running right again but the weather has prevented me from going over all the work with a fine toothed comb.

Opened the back door to pull out my summer wheels/tires (had them put on the winter setup today before I drove home) and found this. Pics below. It was never mentioned previously.

Ultimately it was an insane amount of money (stage 4 short block territory) and took entirely too long with crap customer service along the way. Had a long talk with them while I was there.

Trim will be ordered from Subaru and replaced on their dime.

51f2b73e606653f6976932d4b2b0abeb.jpg00fea556eb29e9b53af72806ea80a2a2.jpg

Were the wheels resting on it and they got squeezed together when the doors were closed?

No, 2 of the wheels were in the trunk and the other two sat on top of the folded down back seat.

It looks to me like someone tried to pry that piece of trim off from the center. I haven't bothered to figure out how to remove it properly but will need to whenever they get my replacement.

Doesn't the undertray create a vacuum below the car such that air is drawn through the hood scoop and through the IC? May end up drawing air in through your fender vent.

I don't know if the undertray creates a vaccum or not and hopefully someone else could chime in on that. Currently not running an undertray but that will change once the killer b's get put on.

If it does create a vacuum, I would think that strategic placement of the hose and the design of the vents alone would be enough to over power a slight vacuum. The vents are recessed into the fender by at least a solid half inch and I'd have a harder time imagining there is a vacuum in the engine bay strong enough to make air turn 90° into the fender when passing over it doing anything above 35 mph and overcoming Bernoulli's principle.

Could be wrong though, definitely not an expert in aerodynamics.:spin:

Part of me also just wants to make them semi-functional so no one can come up and say "nice fake fender vents, my grandpa's Buick Lucerne had some like this".

Edited by DoctorDaveLGT

Went to do my rear wheel bearings, finally making a grinding noise after 16 years of ownership and 150k kms..

My ABS bolts securing the bracket to the hub are so badly rusted, my 10mm socket rounded the hex...

Wondering how to get those off now..

I don't know if the undertray creates a vaccum or not and hopefully someone else could chime in on that. Currently not running an undertray but that will change once the killer b's get put on.

If it does create a vacuum, I would think that strategic placement of the hose and the design of the vents alone would be enough to over power a slight vacuum. The vents are recessed into the fender by at least a solid half inch and I'd have a harder time imagining there is a vacuum in the engine bay strong enough to make air turn 90° into the fender when passing over it doing anything above 35 mph and overcoming Bernoulli's principle.

Could be wrong though, definitely not an expert in aerodynamics.:spin:

Part of me also just wants to make them semi-functional so no one can come up and say "nice fake fender vents, my grandpa's Buick Lucerne had some like this".

It has been my understanding that the under tray keeps air smooth under the vehicle and helps pull air through the tmic when using the hood vent with the engine cover on a stock set up. Makes sense in my head but I don't think this creates vacuum in the entire engine bay. I mean there is air getting shoved into the radiator and ac condenser so I'd think if anything, the majority of the engine bay would have minor positive pressure.

Went to do my rear wheel bearings, finally making a grinding noise after 16 years of ownership and 150k kms..

My ABS bolts securing the bracket to the hub are so badly rusted, my 10mm socket rounded the hex...

Irwin makes these spiral nut extractors. I think the spiral fluted ones they make are better than the stepped ones from harbor freight.

Run down to lowes or hop on Amazon and get them. Few light taps with a hammer to get it to dig down on the bolt and you should be good. It's not a high torque fastener and they worked wonders on my engine mount bolts.

However my exhaust bolt had already been too mangled by my own doing. That needed a dremel.

It has been my understanding that the under tray keeps air smooth under the vehicle and helps pull air through the tmic when using the hood vent with the engine cover on a stock set up. Makes sense in my head but I don't think this creates vacuum in the entire engine bay. I mean there is air getting shoved into the radiator and ac condenser so I'd think if anything, the majority of the engine bay would have minor positive pressure.

Agree with that and there not being a vacuum throughout the entire engine bay is what I was getting at. My thoughts for placement would be either higher up near the firewall/strut towers or closer towards the front slightly behind the radiator.

I don't expect whatever I do to really do much in the way of reducing engine bay temps, but for the amount of effort it would take to dremel a few holes and snake a tube I figure why not give it shot. I could always start with a longer tube and perform repeated runs measuring temps with a IR thermometer and move the hose in different places to see if it does anything at all. Makes me wish I had and infrared camera to play around with.

Uhm, I ended up having to drill it out after I broke the bolt head off. That bolt is made from really soft steel, probably on purpose so it can be drilled out easily.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

If we wanted to really nerd out on this and someone wanted to take a whack at CAD modeling the car with some representative engine bay/undertray geometry, could do some CFD runs with various vent placements to get an idea of how they'd work out flow-wise. I do aero design/analysis (among other things) for a living, and have access to the compute cluster at work off-hours. I know you can already find LGT body models on the interwebs to get the body geometry.

Just sayin :D

Edited by awfulwaffle

I swear this has been covered to a decent degree either around here or nasioc, or there was maybe something released by Subaru even. I tried to search for it a couple weeks ago discussing it in another thread, but could not find.