LegacyGT.com

Problems, problems..

So I got my 05 Outback XT about a month ago. I've done 2 oil changes already. It has about 235k (KM). The previous owner used Rotella T6 and ive been using the same. The first time I changed the oil I noticed a small amount of metal in the used oil. Yesterday when I changed it again there seemed to be alot more, all very small flakes but can still be felt with my hand when wiping my drain pan clean. There was one peice however that was the size of a fingernail clipping.

I've also noticed an intermittent sound at idle. It's only happened 2 or 3 times, but when I push the gas the rpm will shoot up as normal, but will drop down below 1000 and make this ticking sound which I recorded and will attach a link (https://youtu.be/rGUW1BelKIA). The sound always goes away once the idle goes back to normal.

So what do you think the damage is gunna be?

First step - don't drive it anymore, metal flakes in the oil will find its way into the bearings. Maybe it's too late, maybe the previous owner did replace the turbo and didn't clean up the engine.

It can also be a rod bearing that's spun.

453747.png

Every bearing surface is probably damaged, oil channels filled with metal and cam shafts uses the heads as bearings, not separate bearings. You'd got to replace a lot in the engine.

Get a used engine and build from it. Just get it from a source that you can return it to or get money back.

The old engine is good to donate sensors and some other uncontaminated stuff if needed. It's always good to have a backup donor unit for some minor parts that may be missing from a purchased replacement engine.

453747.png

Buy a new car mate, its way less stress than trying to rebuild an engine.

I don't think anyone tries to rebuild engines out here anymore, second hand cars are now so cheap.

Get a decent car and look after the fluids.

FWIW, Millenium Auto Sales in the greater Detroit area will sell you a rebuilt long block with timing, oil pump, water pump and AVCS solenoids for $5300 USD. I came to realize that's not a bad price once you factor in machine work and cost of OEM parts. Not too far from you either, could definitely rent a truck and pick up a motor in a day.

http://y2kimports.com/engines/

Procedure is simple:

Use new shortblock (do not bother with rebuild, not worth it)

Have a machine shop refresh the heads

Buy new oil cooler (NEVER REUSE OLD ONE)

Other parts (turbo) replace as needed.

The work is easy if you have access to a garage and tools. Paying someone to do all that may not be worth it, but it depends on the condition of the car.

Procedure is simple:

Use new shortblock (do not bother with rebuild, not worth it)

Have a machine shop refresh the heads

Buy new oil cooler (NEVER REUSE OLD ONE)

Other parts (turbo) replace as needed.

The work is easy if you have access to a garage and tools. Paying someone to do all that may not be worth it, but it depends on the condition of the car.

i'd say oil cooler and oil pump.

i spent several days with subaru jdm techs over my failure. couldn't pin point the failure cause. they took the broken parts with them. normal start up, super cool out. 5 mins after drive, loud crack and engine light on. the belt wrapping around the crank saved the engine. gates looked over the belt and said it wasn't the cause. subaru agreed. all sprockets and gears were free moving.

the scoring in the heads happened at the front, none towards the back. subaru was going to do forensics on the metals that snapped.

26654092_1797292843903093_682117566_o.thumb.jpg.97406be85c72a8358b6072a8ff681cf8.jpg

26610291_1797292837236427_796002634_o.thumb.jpg.63e9d6dd8c8f5e31de997635975feddc.jpg

1936714731_26695792_1798786243753753_51496747_o(1).jpg.ae4a2bca8e642bdec9eeae30a91a18e8.jpg

I had a similar mystery failure in similar conditions 10 years ago. Cold morning. Started. Got up a hill maybe 200 meters, engine dead. Timing belt jumped few teeth. Bent valves. Front passenger side cam journal and cam were scored, much like in your pictures. The cam could still freely move.

That was not too long after a sketchy turbo install which sent shards of the compressor cover into the intake.

But the root cause was never identified.

Archived