LegacyGT.com

center diff

I'm pretty sure either my center diff bearings are bad, or my center bearing is bad, and Im planning to replace it in the coming months. Is my car okay to drive?, because I have been driving for a few months now, and just getting a little worried.

I have this noise coming from the transmission. The noise happens only in 3rd and up, no matter if the clutch is depressed or not. From what I've seen on here and youtube, it is that. I can take a video of what it sounds like if you need me to.

Does the sound change at all at operating temperature vs cold, or when the temperature outside is cold vs warm? Does the sound occur/change when turning, or going in a straight line?

When my center diff went bad, I only had problems when turning into parking spots, that's when I'd hear it'd click click like crazy. My problem was also much worse when the transmission was warm, and in the summer when the transmission warmed up quicker.

Of course, I'm no expert on center diffs. I'd just hate to see you spend around $500 on a new diff, and have that not fix the problem. Only happening in 3rd and up sounds weird, I wouldn't think the diff would care about what gear the car was in, but who knows?

Is it a whine? If so, it's likley the bearings. If the differential is bad, it will bind up when driving in figure-8's in a parking lot.

I fixed the bearings for $133 in parts plus fluid and a HF press. I put tens of thousands of miles on it before I figured out what it was. I replaced the bearings when the noise got louder. If you're just noticing it and it has not gotten appreciably louder, you can continue to drive it. I may or may not have posted pictures at some point on the forum.

Archived