LegacyGT.com

Eyesight pays for itself in real time...

So I wonder how many of these type events take place. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Anyway, I am sure Eyesight just saved my butt. I was driving down a busy 2 lane double yellow divided road out of Boulder. Long line of traffic. Little did I know, someone up ahead decided to stop dead and wait to turn left across the double yellow onto a dirt road.

I’m cruising about 40 and look to my left at activity off the side of the road. Maybe a couple seconds. As I begin to look back (things happened very quickly) I hear the warning sound and feel the car braking- pretty hard. As I focused in on what was happening, of course I saw nothing but stopped cars in front of me and a blue trunk and brake lights a couple car lengths ahead. I slammed on the brakes and steered hard right (miss the car) and hard left (to parallel it) and stay on the shoulder. All over in a second-no contact.

Points I recall:

1. If not for Eyesight and its ability to audibly warn and certainly to start braking, I would of rear ended the car in front of me. Not hard but it would of ruined my day, her day etc. etc. and who knows the extent of the damage.

2. The car handled extremely well. Braking was excellent and I stopped within a few feet it seemed like but I did not measure (probably 35-40mph). No sound or squeal- nothing, just stopped. I did not even feel the “pumping” that I have always associated with ABS.

3. The car was solid (little to no roll) through the entire maneuver which included two abrupt evasive turns with the brake pedal on the floor. In short, ABS worked like a charm.

I have not had an accident in 20+ years and even back then it was striking a deer while driving a police car (deer’s fault-lol). So I can now maybe make another year accident free. I was not on my phone or doing anything too stupid, but I was distracted. The car was not. Whatever the e/s option cost, it just paid for itself…….

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... a deer in a police car ...
Now that's something you don't see every day! :)

I was not on my phone or doing anything too stupid, but I was distracted.
I always tell people: EyeSight is totally unobtrusive, but it's always there in the background, and EyeSight never gets tired, careless, or distracted.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

the technology is only improving and getting more widespread (all new toyotas now have a similar version -- anti collision tech, though radar based).

You can bet your ass that woman stopped in front of you is happy you didn't rear end her at 40mph.

Even without evasive maneuvering or you hitting the brakes, that 40mph collision with Eyesight would have probably been a 5mph or so impact -- this is based upon the tests on Youtube, dry pavement, the car completely stopping without driver input from 35mph.

I consider myself a pretty good driver, though a bit more spirited than most. Years on motorcycles provided lots of defensive driving technique and awareness.

Yet I will be very happy when most of the other drivers around me (the ones who are clueless or slow) have Eyesight or the equivalent, since it will only make me safer.

Maybe it's me but I wouldn't go into a public forum and testify that my car saved itself because my head was somewhere it shouldn't have been. I'd be ashamed actually, that my car had to save itself from destruction because of my incompetence. It's less a celebration of technology and more of a wake up call for me to pull my head out.

But that's me.

Maybe it's me but I wouldn't go into a public forum and testify that my car saved itself because my head was somewhere it shouldn't have been. I'd be ashamed actually, that my car had to save itself from destruction because of my incompetence. It's less a celebration of technology and more of a wake up call for me to pull my head out.

But that's me.

That is you... and perhaps just you as you must be the only guy out there that never made a mistake or an error while driving or otherwise. The point is not if I made a mistake (which I admit), the point is what one may learn from it. And I don't want to worry you, but I make make another one in my lifetime. And no, I'm not "ashamed" I'm human.

But that's me.

Eyesight is there in case the driver makes a mistake. I'd say the system is doing its job.

Maybe we should remove seat belts, airbags and crumple zones? Then people who make mistakes would be suitably punished! Hey, how about a new steering wheel design? ;)

tullock-wheel.jpg.1b98a3880b0cf5a15ae6cd6248a1cb67.jpg

• Moderators

But that's me.

You should investigate the swiss cheese risk model. You will quickly realize that if you prevent the realization of risk at any point in the sequence of events / activities that you will have avoided the disaster / consequences of said risk. It doesn't matter of the consequences were avoided by an attentive driver, an automated driving system, a safer vehicle, or just plain old good luck--what matters is that the consequences were avoided. And as you mention, there's a follow-on effect that closes another risk hole in the sense that the driver may be more cautious / attentive moving forward even though no negative consequences were actually realized thanks to technology and multiple layers of risk prevention (including good brakes and a balanced handling system of the car).

So piss off.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

That is you... and perhaps just you as you must be the only guy out there that never made a mistake or an error while driving or otherwise. The point is not if I made a mistake (which I admit), the point is what one may learn from it. And I don't want to worry you, but I make make another one in my lifetime. And no, I'm not "ashamed" I'm human.

I figure that most sensible forum members will be with you on this. It must be great to be "perfect" as some apparently are ..... but I'll never know what that feels like, despite my being what I would regard as a very careful (almost boring) driver.

Thanks for reminding me why HKShooter is on my blocked list. You can do this in User CP settings should you wish to.

Even the "good" drivers who want full control of their vehicle at all times and never want advanced safety systems in their own car (though at some point, this will be inevitable, along with self-driving cars, at least in cities...expect much rage, similar to when WRX enthusiasts started raging at a CVT version)

should be smart enough to want the car following them to have these systems, because even awesome defensive drivers can't control the car approaching them from behind while they are stopped in traffic or driving along the highway...

And not that dying while impaired or sleepy causes accidents, ever, "accidents" that sometimes kill or injure innocent "safe" drivers in the opposite lane... am I right?

not for nothing, but the Subaru videos show a big photo of the car as a target, and most owner videos are using a big box.

Using a person for the test is the equivalent of shooting at a newly designed "bulletproof" vest for the first time while a person is wearing it...

Thanks Guys- there is one (sometimes a few) in every crowd. I just wanted to share my experience as I suspect (even though many may not want to write about it) that a few of us have had a somewhat similar experience. I have been to many an accident and I guess my point here was that this technology does a darn good job of helping us and those around us stay safe(er). Maybe even save a life or serious injury or two. Not a perfect system yet, but it did a great job per my experience so I wanted to share with the group.

drove by a "really, really, good driver" just this morning, 20ish?, texting as she made her way down a 4 lane road where my office is. Hey, at least she looked up when I looked over to see what she was texting about.

While safety systems should not be required for really, really good drivers, I sure hope her next car comes equipped with them, because she is likely going to crash soon.

i.e. everybody in their own mind is a driving legend, especially those who grew up with cell phones, so the "Regular" rules don't apply...

Thanks for the story. There are times I think "eyesight" would be a good feature to have. It's just that when I drove the test car it was winter and it wasn't impressive with snow and ice all over the road.

I'm at about 25 years accident free but I can think of one or two incidents where inattention could have resulted in an accident.

I often review the situation while I'm driving and think, "Now I'm at a 3 for risk, or a 1 or a 10." It does seem to keep my brain working a little while driving.

Yep- agree 100%. I wish I could say I was 100% laser focused on every moment but distractions happen. I avoid the ones I can (phone, text, email,) but our ability to focus is impacted by a multitude of factors. No one wants to be in an accident, but I googled the stats and they are staggering so my thought is Eyesight (and similar) systems are not only helpful but needed.

Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.

2016 Subaru (Japan) survey, EyeSight vs. non-EyeSight:

• N = 294,224 vehicles
  • 61% fewer total accidents with EyeSight
  • 49% fewer vehicle-to-pedestrian accidents
  • 62% fewer vehicle-to-vehicle accidents
  • 84% fewer rear-end collisions

Source: Survey Reveals Subaru Vehicles Equipped with EyeSight Had 60% Fewer Accidents in Japan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

2016 Subaru (Japan) survey, EyeSight vs. non-EyeSight:

• N = 294,224 vehicles
  • 61% fewer total accidents with EyeSight
  • 49% fewer vehicle-to-pedestrian accidents
  • 62% fewer vehicle-to-vehicle accidents
  • 84% fewer rear-end collisions

Source: Survey Reveals Subaru Vehicles Equipped with EyeSight Had 60% Fewer Accidents in Japan

... yes, but people in Japan are, on average, about 2.5" shorter than people from Canada or the USA, so their sight is more limited. ;)

That data is convincing. It should result in insurance premiums lowered for that feature.

My province gives a $45 per year discount on the "limited" model which always has eyesight.

I just left Liberty Mutual Insurance because they charged me more because my vehicle has EyeSight. When I say more, I mean literally $1000 more per year! Their logic is that it is more expensive to fix in the event of an accident, therefore the discount for accident avoidance features is negated.

I switched companies and now my premiums are back to where they should be. Always do you research and ask why! Its a free market and I will not being doing business with them ever again. They lost 4 vehicles and my home being insured through them.

EyeSight is great feature to have, it has alerted me to a couple situations I may or may not have noticed without being alerted, I'll never know. But I do know that I was alerted and the potential accident was avoided. For this alone it is worth it as the OP said. I was originally concerned it would be too intrusive, but I was wrong.

drove by a "really, really, good driver" just this morning, 20ish?, texting as she made her way down a 4 lane road where my office is. Hey, at least she looked up when I looked over to see what she was texting about.

While safety systems should not be required for really, really good drivers, I sure hope her next car comes equipped with them, because she is likely going to crash soon.

i.e. everybody in their own mind is a driving legend, especially those who grew up with cell phones, so the "Regular" rules don't apply...

I see people on facebook in the 3rd lane just scrolling away.. doing highway speed.. it's crazy IMHO it has gotten really bad as far as doing it .. most hold them at the lower part of the steering wheel so they think no one else can see.

I was originally concerned it would be too intrusive, but I was wrong.

That was also the experience for my wife and me with our factory-ordered 2015 Legacy, which we almost ordered without EyeSight. About 16 months later, when we bought our 2016 Outback, EyeSight was at the top of my wife's "must have" list ... even ahead of AWD. I continue to be impressed with how unobtrusive EyeSight actually is in daily driving.

spacer.png

I see people on facebook in the 3rd lane just scrolling away.. doing highway speed.. it's crazy IMHO it has gotten really bad as far as doing it .. most hold them at the lower part of the steering wheel so they think no one else can see.

All driver assistance features and safety systems should be shut off automatically if they detect that the driver has accessed Facebook while driving...

All driver assistance features and safety systems should be shut off automatically if they detect that the driver has accessed Facebook while driving...

IMO, the engine/motor should be shut off automatically if it's detected that the driver has accessed Facebook while driving.

spacer.png

Archived