LegacyGT.com

OEM downpipe now worth it's weight in gold?

Can someone tell me why these OEM downpipes are now selling for over $1k? I am parting out a 2011 STI and listed the dp for $300 and have people crawling out of my ass to buy it. Apparently prices have skyrocketed with covid. Can someone explain this?

Can someone tell me why these OEM downpipes are now selling for over $1k? I am parting out a 2011 STI and listed the dp for $300 and have people crawling out of my ass to buy it. Apparently prices have skyrocketed with covid. Can someone explain this?

Correction - it is worth it's weight in palladium, which yes...you're correct - it is worth more by weight than gold.

Maybe this? The amount of palladium in your downpipe could very well be worth quite a bit more to a scrapper than you are asking.

PalladiumPrice.JPG.24674638ebee5379bd51ea53e19ce696.JPG

Edited by bubbagump

Maxcapacity on here was saying he was able to sell the entire downpipe (two pieces) to a scrapper for nearly 1k USD. I have one sitting in my garage currently, deciding what to do with it.

See his post here, it's a few posts down:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/should-replace-turbo-preemptivelyi-285713.html

I've seen him post the same info in a couple different locations.

Anyways, the big question - what to sell it for. Tough one. I recently was in a similar situation with a video card. Ended up selling to someone who I KNOW is actually going to use it to play games vs. someone who would have turned around and sold it for 2x what they paid for it.

Edited by bubbagump

Maxcapacity on here was saying he was able to sell the entire downpipe (two pieces) to a scrapper for nearly 1k USD. I have one sitting in my garage currently, deciding what to do with it.

See his post here, it's a few posts down:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/should-replace-turbo-preemptivelyi-285713.html

I've seen him post the same info in a couple different locations.

Anyways, the big question - what to sell it for. Tough one. I recently was in a similar situation with a video card. Ended up selling to someone who I KNOW is actually going to use it to play games vs. someone who would have turned around and sold it for 2x what they paid for it.

I can sell the GTX 970 I bought with my first ever paycheck when I was 17 back in 2016 for more than I bought it for ($150 back then). Unbelievable world we're in for GPUs.

Its not so much the downpipe itself, its the catalytic converter which has precious metals in it for emissions, its to filter out hydrocarbons

so what are they putting in aftermarket catalytic converters? I guess they use more in oem stuff..

Damn.. 1k.. I "sold" mine to an automotive recycler for $300CDN in the fall. Feeling like I got ripped off now.. :p Held onto it for all these years too.

I asked the guy after I gave it to him how much he was going to be able to turn it around for. "Probably around $1800" he says. :/

crap I think I threw my old downpipe in the garbage.... hmmm, maybe I didn't .... time to go on a treasure hunt LOL! The downpipe was the 1st thing I got rid of when I bought the car. I really hope I didn't toss it in the garbage, hard to remember it was almost 10 years ago.

Sold mine a month ago for 1200. There’s several people in the Subaru B/S/T groups on facebook ready to jump all over them. Ironically, only kept mine for emissions testing as I’ll be moving a lot in the next couple of years, but couldn’t resist cashing out since the market is perfect for them right now.

Not sure about the US, but over here in the UK, catalytic converter theft is rife. People are having them stolen during the night while parked up on their driveways. It's been going on for years, all because of the scrap value of them because they contain rhodium, platinum and palladium.

Asked him about the uppipe and he said maybe $50

Yes, the up pipe has a different style cat in it.

FWIW, I have spent the money I got for the DP's, ordered a 7000lbs Quickjack.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...