LegacyGT.com

Need advice - Coolant burping after timing belt

Just completed a timing belt/water pump change on my buddy's 2004 WRX with 2L Turbo in it. I realize this is a different car, but the way they work is pretty much identical to the LGT.

Problem:

I'm trying to burp the coolant, but when I do it the coolant I add to the fill reservoir by the turbo empties and continues to empty until the plastic overflow tank is overflowing even if it started at empty.

Things I've done:

I have checked for leaks from the water pump, thermostat area, and all the coolant hoses and there doesn't seem to be any coolant coming from anywhere.

History:

The car was not overheating prior to the timing belt/water pump change. I have not driven it enough to see if it will overheat now, but it seems pretty logical that it would.

My buddy has aftermarket radiator caps and an aftermarket thermostat from parts stores. Is this the problem or is the new waterpump bad? Or is there something else?

Brought to you by Pfizer

The two radiator caps are different, make sure the new OEM's are installed correctly.

Do you have the right front corner of the car jack up as high as you can get it and the heater turned on high well burping the system ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

This is happening while I am filling the upper reservoir, I wouldn't expect it to be pressurized since I can't fill it at the same time that it is pressurized.

I have tried switching the radiator caps with the same result.

I have also tested the thermostat and it is operating normally (opens fine in almost boiling water on the stove).

I have the front end of the car jacked up all the way, not the right corner specifically. I can drop the driver's side if you think that will make a difference.

I have rented a bock tester from autozone. I'm beginning to think the headgaskets are shot. When he brought the car in I drained the oil for an oil change. The block was still pretty hot. Only 2qts came out. This car has been abused and has 115k miles on it.

Brought to you by Pfizer

IMO the right front being higher then the left is important. You want the turbo tank higher.

Only 2 qt's came out....not good, but shouldn't be to much of of issue unless that was normal...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived