LegacyGT.com

Weak/Bad design windshield?

Has anyone cracked their windshield on their new legacy? I'm not sure how it happened. After inspecting the glass, I don't see any rock marks or any impact point. I'm taking it to the dealer to see what they can do about replacing it. I'm just curious to see if anyone had the same issue.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exact same issue, crack starting at the very top right behind rear view and also no rock chip...something else i noticed the winshield has no trim around it so water could puddle up and freeze possibly causing the crack. Its a base model but still seems like there should be trim around it

Exact same issue, crack starting at the very top right behind rear view and also no rock chip...something else i noticed the winshield has no trim around it so water could puddle up and freeze possibly causing the crack. Its a base model but still seems like there should be trim around it

I noticed that lack of trim too. I have a 3.6 Ltd, so I think they're all pretty much the same regardless of the engine or trim. I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow to see what they say. I've only had the car for a month and haven't done anything differently than what I've done with my other cars, so i'm not sure why it happened.

diesel4982

I do remember a couple weeks after picking up the Legacy twice I heard a loud popping sound that seems like it was coming from the front window. There was a tread posted for this. Now it has not happened since maybe it was settlings of the glass. Just wondering?

You maybe able to use that tread as ammunition.

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Only 1400 miles on my car and about to get my first replacement windshield. Not sure if a pebble on the interstate got me or something spontaneous. Fun fact--my insurance company turfs out glass repairs to a third party; I won't name the company, but let's all sing "S........, repair, S........, replace!" Tell the rep you want OEM glass, not OEO. The response will be, "Okay, glad you asked, because you can have it, but you have it ask, we can't ask you if you want it." So remember--ask!

I went to the Subaru dealer yesterday and the service manager barely looked at it and quickly said Subaru won't cover it, it HAD to have been from a rock. I told him there was no rock mark, I'm the only who drives the car and never heard anything hit the windshield. He took pictures anyway and said he's send them to Subaru. I'll let you guys know what they say in about a week. The crack seems to have originated from below the molding, almost at the tip of the molding and the defrost heating element. I've never had a cracked windshield in any other car I've driven...even with pebbles hitting on them.

Only 1400 miles on my car and about to get my first replacement windshield. Not sure if a pebble on the interstate got me or something spontaneous. Fun fact--my insurance company turfs out glass repairs to a third party; I won't name the company, but let's all sing "S........, repair, S........, replace!" Tell the rep you want OEM glass, not OEO. The response will be, "Okay, glad you asked, because you can have it, but you have it ask, we can't ask you if you want it." So remember--ask!

Thanks for that info. I will definitely look into that. I asked my insurance company and they deal with your same third party company. Neither of them mentioned that I could get OEM glass. I will have to bring that up to them.

diesel4982

I do remember a couple weeks after picking up the Legacy twice I heard a loud popping sound that seems like it was coming from the front window. There was a tread posted for this. Now it has not happened since maybe it was settlings of the glass. Just wondering?

You maybe able to use that tread as ammunition.

Thanks for that info. I will definitely do my homework before talking to SOA. I'm sure no company wants to replace anything at no cost to us, but in this case, I really do feel it is a flaw in the windshield.

Mine cracked at 2500 miles from the passenger side and I am not going to replace it until or if it makes it's way to my driving vision.

As far as the lack of trim, a lot of the new cars don't have it and neither did the previous generation Legacy.

Well, at 5K miles...... my already cracked windshield, cracked again from the same spot but lower...... But all caused by rock-chips. I have owned boat load of cars and this has never happened before. T shaped crack was the 1st and now, there is another one on the lower side. So glad, I did not already replace it :-)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e391/tgunal/Subaru%202015/20150319_084128_zpsrqqlmoxr.jpg

I had a pebble pop up and crack my winshield and that said company you mention repaired it with the OEM glass with put me mentioning it. I Had to wait a week for it to be in stock.

That really bad it's time to contact your Insurance.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/d51613d2145b20c3039229bc39d3545c.jpg

Edited by Yoda_One

That really bad it's time to contact your Insurance.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/d51613d2145b20c3039229bc39d3545c.jpg

In WA State, they conveniently do not cover windshields :mad:

With $500 deductible it makes no sense to involve insurance.

I am keeping this windshield until drivers side is cracked.

A crack mysteriously appeared in the windshield of my wife's 2015 Legacy with less than 1000 miles on the car. I had washed the car and did not recall seeing a crack or any flaws after I dried it with a chamois. I then moved the car about 50 feet to its normal spot in the driveway (out of the shade) and then went around the car to dry off any missed water spots. I was then astonished to see this 6 in long crack in the lower right corner of the windshield. There was no evidence of any impact.

Took it to the dealer and the service manager took some photos, sent it to corp., and he got authorization to replace under warranty.

Fixed but Freaky

In WA State, they conveniently do not cover windshields :mad:

With $500 deductible it makes no sense to involve insurance.

I am keeping this windshield until drivers side is cracked.

Here in NJ the Subaru dealer charges $675, that's without tax, to replace the windshield and the surrounding moldings. It might be worth it to go through your insurance. I'd much rather pay $500 than close to $800.

I've had numerous cars, Nissans and Audis....not one of their windshields cracked when hit with minute pebbles or small rocks, and this is at high speed. I'm inclined to think it is a defect either in the glass or the design/placement of the windshield on the Subaru. I'm not an engineer, but this can't be normal for a car.

The new Subies do a lot of wining but I hopefully it is only temporary. If they only knew the problems I had with a new A 100 or the Corvette😪

Cracking of windshields is an inherent design flaw of glued windshields. It was pretty common in the early era of glued windshields. If it's not properly glued with a stress-free mounting then there is a risk of cracks.
453747.png

Here in NJ the Subaru dealer charges $675, that's without tax, to replace the windshield and the surrounding moldings. It might be worth it to go through your insurance. I'd much rather pay $500 than close to $800.

Our OEM windshields are made by Carlex.

I called the local shop for a Carlex replacement and they quoted me $518+tax

I am going to hold out until summer to replace it for now.