LegacyGT.com

Rear hub assembly seems stuck on the axle.

Second issue of the day. Changing out the rear hub assemblies. Got the 32mm axle nut off, removed the ABS sensor and the 4 bolts holding the hub assembly on, but no matter how hard I pull in the assembly, the axle just comes out with it. It's stuck in there. Can I hammer the axle back in by the post where the nut goes it what?

In this video at 6:11 he says to make sure the axle pushes in. What did that mean? My axle doesnt budge from the bearing.

Video of my issue on imgur:

https://imgur.com/a/WWKxn9z

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

GOOGLE Subaru outback rear axle replacement, YouTube, Mr Subaru. Videos work better than words. It's great you want to do your own work...but if you download the FSM, it will save you a lot of time. If you're going do your own work, make sure you have the CORRECT tools for the job. I hope you got a new 32mm axle nut, I think torque spec is around 140 ft/lbs and stake it with a punch so it won't back off. You aren't supposed to torque the nut with the full weight of the car (it's bad for the wheel bearing). Pop the center cap off the wheel, hand tight your luggage nuts, and let the car down enough to get some grab off the ground....that's how you should have taken it off. Really hope you got a torque wrench, because you need it.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Make sure the axle pushes in = Make sure the axle moves in and out of the bearing and is not seized

Maybe do one of these in the vid below, or spin the nut on backwards so you're whacking the stronger part without a socket, threads are protected from a mis-hit too. I bought a cheap air hammer and used that to push the axle shaft in when I did my rear bearings.

Edited by apexi

Another tip, Aero-Kroil is much better than PB Blaster. It may cost much more but it's way better.

I just removed the rusty bolts on the water pump on my 1986 Ford F150. Aero-Kroil and about 20 minutes of time, then the 1/2 impact gun, all bolt came out. one of them even has a 3/8" head, the others were 1/2" heads, all were 5/16 coarse threads. They had been in there since 1991.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had an axle stuck in the rear hub on one and beat on that thing for 3 days. I used heat and any other method I could think of or find on the internet to get it out. I finally found a video that said to use a large hammer drill/chisel with a pointed tip on the chisel setting and that finally did the trick. I ended up replacing the entire hub because I beat on it so hard that I bent the hub assembly. Good luck. That can be a frustrating job.

Tom