LegacyGT.com

Jalopnik NP or CP article on a LGT 5MT BP wagon

I just saw this on Jalopnik:

https://jalopnik.com/at-12-000-would-you-lay-claim-to-this-2005-subaru-leg-1844271850

Does this belong to anyone on here? It looks like it's being sold by an enthusiast. The comments on Jalopnik are are overwhelmingly about how blah the car is and how the seller is asking too much. If the seller IS on here, I'd suggest listing it on Bring a Trailer. It'll probably go for asking to that crowd.

I just saw this on Jalopnik:

https://jalopnik.com/at-12-000-would-you-lay-claim-to-this-2005-subaru-leg-1844271850

Does this belong to anyone on here? It looks like it's being sold by an enthusiast. The comments on Jalopnik are are overwhelmingly about how blah the car is and how the seller is asking too much. If the seller IS on here, I'd suggest listing it on Bring a Trailer. It'll probably go for asking to that crowd.

The writer doesn't know much of what they are talking about. The car is def not stock (lowering springs at least). I think 12k is a bit much unless the underside mint. Though if it can sell for 12k that makes me feel better about the value and time put into my car! All in all from the few pics...looks clean. I'd buy (oh wait I already have one!!!)

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Writer is definitely bias but the price is optimistic imo. I guess it depends on area. When I lived in Wyoming you’d see cars like these going for 6k+ with like 220,000 miles And much higher with less miles. Now that I live in az you don’t even see cars like that, not even for sale. Sti and wrx are all you see and they are much cheaper here than there. I’ve literally never seen another outback or legacy in the 7 months I’ve been here so I don’t even know if I’d be able to sell my car if I wanted to

Jalopnik has really gone to shit over the past year or so.

Nice clean LGT-W though. It’s gotta be on here somewhere.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I always thought Jalopnik was always shit. It seems like it has large goup of wannabe gear heads that complain about everything and probably drive a Honda Accord because that is what the wife lets them drive...

The accord sport in manual is one the best family sedans money can buy. If not the best IMHO.

I put 100k on a 2014 EXL V6 and did nothing but wear items. Only one set of brakes and 3 sets of tires. 0-60 faster than any stock LGT.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

The accord sport in manual is one the best family sedans money can buy. If not the best IMHO.

I put 100k on a 2014 EXL V6 and did nothing but wear items. Only one set of brakes and 3 sets of tires. 0-60 faster than any stock LGT.

I daily a '07 EX-L Coupe V6/6spd, and I totally agree, even though it feels like a dog on the highway after dailying the LGT for a couple years.

Not a Jalopnik reader (occasionally I follow a link), and while the article author clearly doesn't really know the car, I totally agree with the CP sentiment. 12k for an '05 LGT wagon--even if it is a good condition 5MT--is ludicrous IMO.

The owner of this car is a friend of mine! His name is Zack, and the car has been looked after by Carr Subaru forever. The previous owner was a service advisor there.

Here's a pic of our cars together back when my car (in the back, his in front) was a pile of garbage I was still working on - around April 2019 iirc. I have his car on VINwiki but I'm not sure if he wants me to share the VIN here. Our cars are both 1/99 in the same spec (ATL blue with beige Limited trim and 5-speed).

rsz_twowagons.thumb.png.10b8a1fca9b3ad8610751b31e34e1bed.png

I will say since I don't think he'll see it here: he drives the car pretty hard. The car is stock on the tuning and engine side, but I'm sure the shocks will be gone shortly with the Swifts dropping the car as low as it is. The front control arm bushings probably aren't in great shape and the ball joints won't last long being that low. I saw his car at the gas station and we pulled over and chatted for a bit. His tires only had 8K on them but had some decent wear, I presume because the car can't really be aligned properly without some modifications to correct camber.

The car's exhaust mods sound great, but are loud. The paint on his car is immaculate. The wheels are brand-new from when he bought the car and put them on there. Also LOL at the people in Jalopnik's comments thinking they were super sleuths because they saw a Cobb sticker and therefor the car couldn't be stock - the car has a Cobb shift knob y'all! Car is also on its original clutch, so it still has a dual mass flywheel, for those who care.

All in all, this is definitely the best example for sale in the country, but it's expensive. The car has been an Oregon car its whole life, so I'd buy it. Also, his Instagram is @lgtwago, if you want more pics of the car.

Y'all can ask me whatever you want about the car. I can answer to the best of my ability. Also, I just texted him, telling him to put it on BaT and Cars and Bids to see if it gains traction there.

Edited by Pleides

Cool! Yeah, I had to travel for mine too a few years ago. There are people out there that will pay for a good example, you just need to get the word out that there's a good example for sale. It seems as though the Jalopnik article was enough to get the word out to the handful of people across the country who would bite. Great to see it sell for that much though - now we can all point to that sale as an example of how much our cars are worth!

Haha, I think that car was in exemplary shape compared to some of the others here (including mine), but yes, one did successfully sell for $12k! If my car had perfect bodywork with it's 214K, I'd probably fetch 8K at most, and I wouldn't pay that much for almost any car with 200K miles.

His was a car serviced by the dealership it was purchased from for its whole life and owned by various employees at the dealership throughout its life. Very stellar example. I don't see our cars really dropping in value much, but I don't think they're gonna reach E46 M3 status, or the like, and I've seen VERY few examples even close to the mileage and condition his was in.

Sweet.

I need to sell mine. This gives me hope.

Minty, little under 119K on the clocks but only 1,900 miles on a fully rebuilt STi engine with forged CP's and such stuff, rebuilt VF52 and heads, lots of new little parts - I wanted this thing to be able to put on some go-fast parts, E85 tune and full send. But stuff happens

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was able to gauge just how high the demand is for the cars. I posted mine for sale yesterday as I have been getting tired of the PTSD of wondering when my 214K engine with no valve clearance will blow up. I made a pretty thorough ad with nice pictures and within one hour of posting the car I had a guy test-driving it. Within 5 I had to take the ad down because I quite literally could not respond to enough of the replies over email and text. I was asking $7000 for my car, same spec as the car in the Jalopnik article, just with double the mileage and tons of modifications. I have opted to keep the car as I now realize that A. I would never be able to find one in the shape mine is in ever again if I regret selling it and B, she’s mine.

People will pay for these things man. Keep yours in good shape and enjoy driving it if you’ve got one!

Edited by Pleides

Wow, crazy! Where did you post it up for sale? And I'm sure the Portland, OR location made a difference for the response you got. Regardless, it's great to hear that there is still demand for these cars. It makes me feel better about spending money on mine. I swear, it's like throwing hundreds of dollars into a wishing well sometimes, but I'm never planning on selling it!

Wow' date=' crazy! Where did you post it up for sale? And I'm sure the Portland, OR location made a difference for the response you got. Regardless, it's great to hear that there is still demand for these cars. It makes me feel better about spending money on mine. I swear, it's like throwing hundreds of dollars into a wishing well sometimes, but I'm never planning on selling it![/quote']

Craigslist, and I’m sure it did. I guess I can say I spent $5 on finding out that I didn’t want to sell my car for $7K!