LegacyGT.com

Who else loves their TrueTune (311Logan311) Tune??

keithk831

Logan from True Tune (local business here) finally got his vendor status, so let the publicity begin!

Logan has been tuning Subarus for a little while now, and he does by far the best job I have ever seen. I have run stock, Cobb Stg1 and Stg2, and an e-tune from another vendor here, and Logan's tune blows them out of the water.

He really puts a lot of work into each of his tunes to make sure everything runs smoothly, and he doesn't overly push the limits of your car. To give an example, Logan's base map for my initial e-tune was MORE powerful that my previous e-tune, and it was producing a little over 1psi less boost. Since then, I have upgraded to a road tune and now it's super smooth, safe, and powerful.

Logan allows up to 8 revisions for his e-tunes (the highest number in the industry, although you'll likely only need 3-4), has a super fast turnaround time, and is very knowledgeable and friendly. He's always happy to answer questions to help you understand how things work. He has even "fixed" other custom tunes from reputable tuners, so that really shows the experience and knowledge he has with tuning Subarus. Most of his work has been done locally, but he has done plenty of e-tunes as well with great success.

I have to say I am very pleased with his work, and there are many others who will say the same thing. I have also visited True Tune in Woods Cross, UT, and the shop manager is really cool (drives a modded WRX) and knows his stuff.

Why go to someone else when you can trust a safe, reliable, smooth tune from someone who has an LGT and has the positive customer feedback to back it up? Don't throw money down the drain like I did on my first tune when you can go with someone who will do it right the first time.

Logan, feel free to add some pricing/add'l info. Or send 311Logan311 or me a PM or post here if you have questions.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you or Logan please explain how he made more power with less boost, more safely? Eh forget "less" and "more", what are the numbers of each? Would love to see timing at peak torque and redline :)
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Can you or Logan please explain how he made more power with less boost, more safely? Eh forget "less" and "more", what are the numbers of each? Would love to see timing at peak torque and redline :)

Logan will probably need to explain that. But it was more power running at about 14.3psi IIRC (last tune was about 15.5-15.7psi on average), AND in warmer temps. No knock and good AFRs. Once I got my road tune it was even better. Since then I have installed a smaller restrictor pill and i'm hitting around 16.5psi now.

Best thing about it; my WGDC is always below 75% :cool:

Logan will probably need to explain that. But it was more power running at about 14.3psi IIRC (last tune was about 15.5-15.7psi on average), AND in warmer temps. No knock and good AFRs. Once I got my road tune it was even better. Since then I have installed a smaller restrictor pill and i'm hitting around 16.5psi now.

Well with less boost, he either increased timing (NOT NECESSARILY SAFE) and/or leaned out your AFR (which is probably safe as long as it never knocks). Would love an explanation with numbers :)

Best thing about it; my WGDC is always below 75% :cool:

How does that make any difference?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Short answer: Maximizing timing. At high altitude, it makes a big difference.

Short answer: Maximizing timing. At high altitude, it makes a big difference.

Are you willing to post what timing you are running at peak torque and redline?

Don't worry, I'm not going to try to rob you where the magic is, in the knock control tables I'm assuming ;)

I'll leave all the technical stuff to Logan. But here's what I noticed:

You can get power from just maxing out boost and setting the timing so that there's no knock. Or you can set the timing the way it should be, then manage boost.

With my old tune, the power at WOT was ok, but I had some major hesitation in normal driving. I logged the heck out of it but never could figure it out. Neither could he. I eventually contacted Logan and he helped me sort it out. I ended up copying over the timing table from Logan's map to my current (at the time) map, and the problem was solved (minus the issues associated with a mismatched timing table). It was at that point that I gave up on that tuner and switched to Logan's tune. I haven't had that problem since.

Interestingly enough, i'm not the only person that has happened to.

I also had lots of wastegate flutter with my old tune. Wastegate is quiet with this tune. I'm assuming it's related to the WGDC values, but I could be wrong.

It is a mistake to assume that by default making power with timing is safe.

This is true; I once tried mickeyd's map on my car, which did not meet the requirements of the map. Felt great, but IAM dropped to .375 on the first pull.

But, done correctly it can be a great advantage.

Are you willing to post what timing you are running at peak torque and redline?

Don't worry, I'm not going to try to rob you where the magic is, in the knock control tables I'm assuming ;)

Sure, but you'll need my paypal address to put money in.

Too many apprentice tuners, DIY tuners, and hobbyist tuners charging money for what most people could do themselves in place of proper dyno tunes from a Protuner. Still though, a lot of people don't want to pay Pro tune prices or mess with anything themselves so I guess this is the only option.

Too many apprentice tuners, DIY tuners, and hobbyist tuners charging money for what most people could do themselves in place of proper dyno tunes.

Nobody is disputing the advantage of a true dyno tune over a road tune or e-tune here. Unfortunately, most people don't have the money or access to a decent facility to do a dyno tune. And most people don't have the knowledge to tune on their own. I have been learning about and messing with tuning for about 6 months now, and I still don't know enough to tune on my own (granted i'm full-time school and full-time work).

Since this my full time job, I take each tune very personally. I don't charge for revisions, if needed. I tell each customer to come back after a few weeks, just for a check up. Plus, having a mechanic on hand solves any mechanical problems that may be present.

I'll vouch for Logan and his tunes! My car pulls hard and has had no problems. He is good with customer service, responds quickly and accurately to any questions I have and knows his stuff.

You can quiz him all you want folks...Logan is not a rookie at what he does. And he is definitely not charging me for something I could do myself. I would have definitely paid more for what I got out of letting him work on my car.

Sure, but you'll need my paypal address to put money in.

I would, but you have not given me anything to judge you by except generalities that may not be that great for the motor. I picked Infamous because he showered the forum with tuning discussion and information, and has a very impressive reliability record. Just saying, there's a way to the top :). I fear timing :(

I would, but you have not given me anything to judge you by except generalities that may not be that great for the motor. I picked Infamous because he showered the forum with tuning discussion and information, and has a very impressive reliability record. Just saying, there's a way to the top :). I fear timing :(

Infamous has been around longer, but longer doesn't always mean better tunes. I can personally speak to that, as I learned that the hard way. Logan has a good record, plus this is his full-time job (not a side job).

As for fearing timing, I don't know why you would. If it's done right, then you have nothing to fear. There are plenty of shortcuts to bring power...but that's why so many WRXs develop low compression and need an engine rebuild :spin:

That's why you just keep an eye on your tune. Logan will give you an LV for free whenever you want...or you can do it yourself with the OBDII cable and LV...

Infamous is not the only one that knows how to tune these cars. I'm sure he does great work, but why can't Logan do great work as well? As previously stated, Infamous has been around longer, but Logan is around to stay. It's his full time job

That's why you just keep an eye on your tune. Logan will give you an LV for free whenever you want...or you can do it yourself with the OBDII cable and LV...

Infamous is not the only one that knows how to tune these cars. I'm sure he does great work, but why can't Logan do great work as well? As previously stated, Infamous has been around longer, but Logan is around to stay. It's his full time job

Logan may be the absolute best tuner in the world. If he is, it would be a great service to the community to have him become popular here. But without any substance or explanations or anything else, he's only going to win business from baseless claims of superior tunes. Some members of this community want something more, and if he is so willing then it would be great to hear the method and the science behind the "He is a great tuner because I had a bad tune before and now my car runs well and he spoke lots of tuning language to me." Thought leadership is a key part of a successful high level professional services marketing campaign, and is nothing to worry about. I have seen no thought leadership, except that he likes to put boost levels in a turbo's efficiency range as much as possible, and take advantage of the colder charge and lower pressures to add more timing than otherwise possible. Amazing no one ever thought of that before...

Please see that I'm just giving unsolicited advice with the possibility of getting flamed, in the hopes that your solid foundation of tuning principles and tricks can be added to your early reputation of great customer service. So Logan can get rich. You can't successfully ride your great reputation unless you've built one.

If your techniques are staying secrets, then best of luck to your e-tuning business :)

I hope I wasn't misunderstood as trying to flame anyone. The questions your asking are legitimate, and his ideas behind tuning are unique, I'm just trying to prevent the inevitable and endless arguments about how Infamous1 is the "god" of Subaru tuning and no one should ever talk to anyone else about their cars...

I don't spend much time around the tuning forums because I have seen a reasonable number of threads robbed because of it :lol:

Logan may be the absolute best tuner in the world. If he is, it would be a great service to the community to have him become popular here. But without any substance or explanations or anything else, he's only going to win business from baseless claims of superior tunes. Some members of this community want something more, and if he is so willing then it would be great to hear the method and the science behind the "He is a great tuner because I had a bad tune before and now my car runs well and he spoke lots of tuning language to me." Thought leadership is a key part of a successful high level professional services marketing campaign, and is nothing to worry about. I have seen no thought leadership, except that he likes to put boost levels in a turbo's efficiency range as much as possible, and take advantage of the colder charge and lower pressures to add more timing than otherwise possible. Amazing no one ever thought of that before...

Please see that I'm just giving unsolicited advice with the possibility of getting flamed, in the hopes that your solid foundation of tuning principles and tricks can be added to your early reputation of great customer service. So Logan can get rich. You can't successfully ride your great reputation unless you've built one.

If your techniques are staying secrets, then best of luck to your e-tuning business :)

First off, your claim of Logan having "baseless claims" is ridiculous because that's simply not true. You're asking him to post up the key elements of his work. In the tuning business, that's like giving away a trade secret just because one naysayer doesn't like what he sees. I don't see Infamous or Cobb posting up entire maps just because you want proof. Besides, most people wouldn't even know what they are looking for. The rest would just take it and use it without buying a tune.

There are two elements that have given support to other tuners here: knowledge/information, and testimonials (you could even say logs work as well). Logan has both...you're just unwilling to accept it.

One thing I will say is that, from what I have personally experienced and researched (I had an Infamous tune for a few months), Infamous just uses mickeyd's map as a base and goes from there. Logan has started from scratch and has thoroughly tried and tested all sorts of tables.

Oh, and you asked where Logan's informational thread is. Use the search button. But i'll make it easy for you: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/feeler-slc-area-subaru-owners-want-help-installing-tuning-136371.html

/threadjack

Anyone is welcome to ask questions (that's what we're all here for- this forum is a resource), but let's not get off topic on what should be tuned and what shouldn't be tuned, etc. I understand lots of people are "loyal" to the most popular open-source tuner here; it makes sense, especially since he's been here longer.

Logan knows way more than you or I do, and I honestly trust his experience. Dealerships trust him, a bunch of Subaru owners trust him, and I trust him. All of us have been very pleased with the results. He has his own office and shop; he's here to stay. And as his clientele continues to grow, so will his popularity.

I was at his shop today and he's about to buy a vendor status on Nabisco as well.

Not knowing what makes up your tune is like not knowing what ingredients are in the food you eat. It's great you love how it tastes, but to not have any idea what the chef put in it means your longterm and short term health is a gamble, especially when you aren't reading the ingredients lists and the chef keeps his recipes a secret. I have no interest in changing your mind. Instead, I want transparency for the community. I made that very clear, as well as why it is important, and even how it can be beneficial to Logan's bottom line. Lastly, my only loyalty is to myself and my motor.

With respect to your thread (my apologies for jacking it from the three of you) I am happy to post on this elsewhere going forward :). Enjoy your new tunes :)

:munch:

kind of got to agree with climber on this one. I dont take anyones word for anything on the internet. Not unless their established and well known. Not knocking the OP or the tuner by any means, but i tend to leans towards the folks who i have seen around here. Everyone will ask to see numbers or logs. if i cant get any form of that then why would one want to take that risk of their motor going to shit?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. While you may say you like this person, this person may like this person, at the end of the day i dont really give a shit who likes who. its my car, my motor, and i have educated myself by reading. i am just seeking information. This is an advertisement thread. that is apparent. so wheres the logs, the numbers or something? every tuner has a style. i am sure everyone can agree. i dont think climber is asking for the secret recipe and at no time did i ever get that vibe. if your just the customer then your just that. if he doesnt want to post logs or etc... then i guess i can just unsubscribe and go elsewhere. dont really matter to me. But again, i dont know you, or him ( the tuner ). and he very well may be a damn good tuner. i dont know. And i wont take that away from him either. things do take time.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Archived