LegacyGT.com

VC gasket problem

Car - 2009 Outback, 2.5 non-turbo, automatic trans.

I replaced the valve cover gaskets in December; I did the right side on 12/12 and had my mechanic do the other a week later (I just didn't have time).

Within the last few days the right side (the one I did) has started leaking like a sieve. It didn't start slow - it just sort of let go. Near as I can tell it's dripping from close to or around the bottom center bolt. I stuck a wrench on it and it's tight, so I don't want to torque it any more (I used a torque wrench on the install). I can't figure out why it would just suddenly let go like that. This is roughly 5 weeks and less than 500 miles after installing the new gaskets.

I used the Fel-Pro gaskets, which I've had good luck using on many other cars, though I admit this is my first VC gasket job on a Subaru.

I plan to take it off tomorrow and see if it's kinked or nicked or something, but I was pretty careful getting it on so I doubt I'll find anything strange. Are the FelPro just not a good option for this application - and if so, what should I get instead? I'm leaving drips on the street as I drive...

Secondary question - none of the valve cover bolts had any kind of washers or grommets or anything. Should there be some? I found a couple parts diagrams that seem to think so - click here - but I also did an image search and for my model year/engine I have yet to find a pic of one that looks like it has anything other than just the bolts.

Any help appreciated.

Secondary question - none of the valve cover bolts had any kind of washers or grommets or anything. Should there be some? I found a couple parts diagrams that seem to think so - click here - but I also did an image search and for my model year/engine I have yet to find a pic of one that looks like it has anything other than just the bolts.

My 2009 non-turbo legacy didn't have those washers, and I bought my car brand new. I've attached a picture below of the way I've always interpreted those parts diagrams where there is a circle with a number, and it has you refer to the chart on the side of the image.

I did my valve cover gaskets 7 years ago, and from what I remember, I didn't like the way the Felpro 50561 fit, is that the one you used? The shape of the gasket in the top corners seemed different (as shown in the attached pictures), but that still wouldn't explain why you're leaking bottom center. Before someone says it, I'm 99% sure our non-turbos don't call for any rtv.

1.jpg.6249e8d49d53d0750148bcf99eacfdf0.jpg

felpro50561.thumb.jpg.89e8d1dc527fa85b365fdbf191ece95e.jpg

felpro50561_2.jpg.c5e1ddbbf9dc22cfc40ff0567e26d449.jpg

I also concluded that the washers aren't needed/expected on this car. It took a fair amount of image searching though.

The gaskets are the blue FelPro (only ones I've handled, didn't know there were different versions). They came with spark plug tube seals, which I also replaced, but it's definitely not leaking from around the spark plug wells. I gotta be honest, I bought FelPro because a) their products have worked well for me in the past on a variety of vehicles and b) this kit was one of the popular ones on RockAuto when I was ordering parts.

I tried to be very careful not to kink it up during install but maybe something happened. What I can't get over is how it was fine for like 5 weeks - and I was under the car several times during that period, and it was always dry - and now it's leaking all over very suddenly. I think I have no choice but to pull it off and see what's going on - hoping to do it later today.

Got it out. It's torn. Right above the bottom center bolt, which is where I perceived the leak to be coming from. I don't think I tore it on the way out, so I must have done it while maneuvering it in on the install. I'm a bit mystified as to why it didn't leak for nearly 6 weeks, and then let go all over the place, but I'm picking up a replacement shortly.

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.