LegacyGT.com

Power steering pump servicing

I wonder if i'm able to use the same parts the Impreza uses to service a "non-servicable" pump for the LGT? Their part number is 34430F040 (I believe this is superseded by 34430FE002). Anyone got experience servicing our power steering pumps? According to the dealer the part number for a 2005 Legacy GT pump is 34430AG041.

• 4 weeks later...

successfully serviced the LGT power steering pump. Used same parts as the impreza's do. No leaks so far!

The only real difference I see was that the large o-ring is there for some reason between the halves. Everything else seems to be the same

Used HONDA parts since they use the same Showa pumps and they have replaceable parts. I'm not a Honda guy or have I ever been but if it works it works.

Edited by iNfEk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Did you just replace o rings or was there other stuff to replace?

o-rings, and other seals and such. i'll see if i can find what i replaced exactly. it's similar to the Impreza pump but we don't use all the parts.

here you go: https://www.drive2.com/l/5009236/

I cannot take credit for this but it does work. it's in russian but you can have it translated. The parts are listed there as well:

91349-PNC-J01 — 1

91348-P2A-003 — 1

91347-PLA-003 — 2

91347-PAA-A01 — 1

91346-PLA-003 — 1

91345-RJL-003 — 2

91345-PAA-A01 — 1

91344-PNC-003 — 1

91343-PNC-003 — 1

91249-PNC-003 — 1

91048-P2A-003 — 1

a34471cs-960.jpg

If you notice in MY picture above there is a dark ring around the left most part. that is NOT an o-ring. I couldn't remove it and replace the large o-ring. I didn't use all of these parts but I did use most of them. This replaces the bearing and o-rings and spacers inside the pump. not just a single o-ring like most late model WRX/STI owners do. The problem will return. I've had no leaks since i did the replacement a while ago.

• 3 years later...

I'm bumping this because I just bought a new pump; I'll rebuild my old pump using the honda parts. The link below has a great pdf write up on how to rebuild and a pdf of parts towards the end of the thread. It uses the same overall parts as the OP here.

https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/power-steering-pump-rebuild.158281/

Power steering pump rebuild parts.pdf

• 4 months later...
I'm bumping this because I just bought a new pump; I'll rebuild my old pump using the honda parts. The link below has a great pdf write up on how to rebuild and a pdf of parts towards the end of the thread. It uses the same overall parts as the OP here.

https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/power-steering-pump-rebuild.158281/

Thanks this is what I was looking for, sizes. I was thinking about going the McMaster route and getting FEP O rings if you think it's worth it? Sounds like Subaru and Honda outsourced for the same power steering pump manufacturer and model? I'll gladly rebuild two of these for the sake of having a spare or selling it to someone. Trying to confirm if this works for the facelifted model pump though. Part # 34430AG051

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Edited by SpecDubC

Thanks this is what I was looking for, sizes. I was thinking about going the McMaster route and getting FEP O rings if you think it's worth it? Sounds like Subaru and Honda outsourced for the same power steering pump manufacturer and model? I'll gladly rebuild two of these for the sake of having a spare or selling it to someone. Trying to confirm if this works for the facelifted model pump though. Part # 34430AG051

I would just buy the gates seal kit (348532) and a 6203 bearing.

I would just buy the gates seal kit (348532) and a 6203 bearing.
I spoke the the gentlemen who runs powersteeringseals.com and he said he just didn't have it all documented online yet but he put a kit together for me for $25 which includes shipping to US. If the bearing is the same between this and the last version of the pump it appears to be an NTN bearing and is available on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-91048-P2A-003-Ball-Bearing/dp/B00MJ115RU from the picture if it's correct it's an 6203v2 or 62032 part # which lines up with what you're saying. A local bearing supplier has a 6203 Nachi made bearing and says that's a very common size. I feel like an NTN bearing would be better quality though.

Is that gates kit just the one listed for Honda for a specific year/model? I'd like to know which year and model equivalents Honda may use the same showa pump as the 07-09 legacy uses because it's a different Subaru part # than the 05-06 Legacy.

Also I got a quote from a shop nearby to rebuild mine for about $140 and offer a 1yr warranty. When I mentioned people saying they typically think you can't rebuild the pumps he mentioned that people tend not to know how to correctly bleed them when installing and the impeller will eat up the surrounding housing very quickly if it's not bled property.

Edited by SpecDubC

Update on the bearing, I read the seal on it and it looks to be specifically this model of bearing.

NTN 6203LU Single Row Ball Bearing

Item# 6203LU NTN

Bought two from Locate Ball Bearings online for $10 a piece plus a little in shipping which seemed super reasonable and seemed they were accurate with country of manufacture for their bearing options which seemed to be variable if you bought from untrusted seller on Amazon and get some Chinese knock off stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
So this is where I'm at with this today. I've got the whole new seal kit and finally got the snap ring out so I need to get the bearing and shaft out next somehow.c1ccaadb04db177c312f5eafd6be2ce8.jpg51478be11ecc200c9516f6d80a1c21fb.jpg8622f36cf5705fe0b70d86d829d99d26.jpg

The bearing will come out with the shaft if you tap it out with a rubber mallet. Then you can use a 3 arm puller or bearing separator to remove the bearing from the shaft.

Do you want to put this thread in the DIY forum ?

May be you can ask one of the MOD's to move it there ?

Would be worth it Max. Until the op bumped this one to me I didn't see a how to. And the NASOIC thread on this is very wrx specific in nature.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
quick question, is the bearing single side sealed or double side sealed?
Good question. The one I bought has orange seal on both sides but then when I took the original oem one out it looks to have a different color seal or more metal finish in nature to my memory. Seems like it's been running fine with the double side sealed one I put in though. I'll try to remember to snap a pic of the one I pulled vs the other new one I have sitting.

Also, probably already pasted but here's the NASOIC similar thread on their forums here: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Enasioc%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D2127419&share_tid=2127419&share_fid=468&share_type=t&link_source=app

Someone had updated the thread with pictures with o-ring sizes written out.

Edited by SpecDubC

Thanks for the response. I ended up going with the honda bearing (single sided sealed with metal seal on the opposite side) it was the same as what I removed
Yes, if I remember correctly it was the same style with a metal seal on one side.