LegacyGT.com

HELP New owner

Hey everyone, I recently acquired a 2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5 sedan and I am trying to fix my brake light on the dash I notice my electronic brake does not work also but according to the scanner nothing is wrong that portion but I think the reason it doesn’t work is because of the flashing brake light on my dash. I’ve checked all fuses and do not see any bad wires as I know of. I have 3 codes for the brake light two of them are related to abs sensors which can be fixed but the one that confuses me is C0057 which has something to do with the ecm control system. I decided to clear the codes and the light came right back on. I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue and could help out. Thanks.

C0057 - ECM CONTROL SYSTEM

C0026 - REAR RIGHT ABS SENSOR SIGNAL

C0023 - FRONT LEFT ABS SENSOR CIRCUIT OPEN OR SHORTED BATTERY

well i can give some input on WHY mine also gives a brake light but i havent gotten a fix for mine yet as i cannot figure it out.

I had the parking break engaged when i went to work on my brake pads (stupid i know) i didnt think it through and ripped off the rotor and basically all the tension broke the springs and i had to do a complete rebuild. seemed simple enough as i just took the other one apart and matched the good one. So ever since then ive always gotten a flashing brake light when ever i use the parking brake now. ive tried adjustments and checked everything multiple times. my only choice is to probably send it in to get repaired which is why sadly i dont have any cures. But i hope this might help you look into what might be an issue on hardware also. never know, you might have gotten a car from a home mechanic like myself who accidently messed up. it happens

well i can give some input on WHY mine also gives a brake light but i havent gotten a fix for mine yet as i cannot figure it out.

I had the parking break engaged when i went to work on my brake pads (stupid i know) i didnt think it through and ripped off the rotor and basically all the tension broke the springs and i had to do a complete rebuild. seemed simple enough as i just took the other one apart and matched the good one. So ever since then ive always gotten a flashing brake light when ever i use the parking brake now. ive tried adjustments and checked everything multiple times. my only choice is to probably send it in to get repaired which is why sadly i dont have any cures. But i hope this might help you look into what might be an issue on hardware also. never know, you might have gotten a car from a home mechanic like myself who accidently messed up. it happens

FYI the issue you likely have is the parking brake calibration. After changing the parking brake pads you need to force the system to calibrate via SSM or a high end scan tool. Basically what it does is exercise the PB a few times to find when it’s on and when it’s off.

If you check with your local garages, I do believe the snap on verus has the functionality to make the car run the calibration. If not you’ll need access to Subaru Select monitor.

My son in law did the same thing and I had to fix it via SSM3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Changing the sensors cleared the codes for the sensors but still have the c0057. But I found I have a code under the body mod section and think it relates to why the code might be on.

The code is:

8223 - U1223 CAN-HS VDC/ABS No Receive Data Communication Line Failure (VDC/ABS To Integrated Unit) Or VDC/ABS Failure. Can’t find anything concrete info online if anyone has any leads on this?

No the only light is the brake light flashing I also have my tire sensor gauge light on but that shouldn’t relate to the problem I’m having. Yeah my guess would to be to try and find a pin out for that harness on the vdc/ abs pump and see if one wire has a break in it, either that or bad pump I’m assuming not really much of info online about it unfortunately and seems like a rare occurrence. Also I do not know if I mentioned it but my electronic parking brake does not engage or light up and neither does my hill assist on the dash but when I press the hill assist button I hear the chirping sound it makes. My guess is because of the code mention above may be the reason the brake doesn’t engaged Edited by Legacy126