LegacyGT.com

OE Goodyears in snow

I just had a very bad experience with the OE Goodyear LS-2s in snow. I was driving in central NY last weekend while visiting family, and these tires, which were at 6/32 at last check, were slipping and sliding all over the place in less than 2 inches of new-fallen snow, even with smooth, consistent inputs. I've driven my wife's 2011 Forester in worse conditions up there with that car's OE Geolanders and Michelin Premier A/S, and the experience was completely different: almost no slippage when driving like a sane person. I grew up driving in the area, so I am not unfamiliar with driving on snow.

I find it kind of hard to believe that Subaru sold the Legacy with these tires in northern states given my experience. I visit my family up there every year for the holidays. I think I am going to have to find a better tire if I want to drive the Legacy on those trips. I am curious to hear what other people's experiences and recommendations are.

I just had a very bad experience with the OE Goodyear LS-2s in snow. I was driving in central NY last weekend while visiting family, and these tires, which were at 6/32 at last check, were slipping and sliding all over the place in less than 2 inches of new-fallen snow, even with smooth, consistent inputs. I've driven my wife's 2011 Forester in worse conditions up there with that car's OE Geolanders and Michelin Premier A/S, and the experience was completely different: almost no slippage when driving like a sane person. I grew up driving in the area, so I am not unfamiliar with driving on snow.

I find it kind of hard to believe that Subaru sold the Legacy with these tires in northern states given my experience. I visit my family up there every year for the holidays. I think I am going to have to find a better tire if I want to drive the Legacy on those trips. I am curious to hear what other people's experiences and recommendations are.

There not the Best All Season.. Of course the Forester or even the Outback would be outfitted with better tires.. Time to invest in some Blizzaks..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Goodyears are good for one year.

If you’re not going to get a dedicated set for winter, look into all weather tires like the Michelin CrossClimate2s.

Second the CrossClimate2s. Best in class.

For a more budget friendly pick, try the Yokohama Avid Ascent GT. They made a weird humming noise for me (and some other assorted folks based on tire rack reviews), but they were superb in the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only need tires to be decent in the snow about 1 week a year. I put my the Yoko Avid Ascend GTs on my wife's Forester last time around, but, thanks to the pandemic, they haven't seen snow yet. They only sing on really fresh pavement, but so have a lot of other tires we've owned with good traction characteristics.

Sounds like my experience with the Goodyears isn't surprising.

The OE Goodyears are the OE tire for this car regardless of the state. Of course they are going to be crap in the snow unless they are factory fresh with 10/32 of tread on them and even then they are just MEH!.

The only ALL Season tire that can even stand up to any snow in my opinion is the Continental DWS. And even then only in anything about 2 inches is pushing it.

As others have said Snow tires are the way to go if you are going to be driving in snow daily regardless of car. I prefer the Blizzak WS90. Just remember as I always forget when I change to my snow tires is your cornering ability just got reduced 50% as well as your mileage is going to go down compared to all season V, W, or Z rated tires.

BTW the Michelin Premier A/S they really cheaped out on. Only 8/32 of tread new. I had them on my Honda for a few months. They were responsive I will give them that. But not a snow tire at all. The Geolanders are an SUV tire so that could explain why you felt more in control as the tread is deep and pushes the snow away better.

I was thinking back to all the times I've driven in snow with all season tires, and I could only think of one experience that was worse. I had to drive to the airport in my 2003 Miata SV with Toyo Proxes T1S, an ultra high performance summer tire, after a snowstorm in January 2004. I made it, but it was very slippery. That experience was worse than the OE Goodyears -- barely.

I've had snows on my 2015 Legacy since the first February, which I believe was 2015. They are hellish noisy at highway speeds, and I drive slower than most -- 70 mph on the Interstate. So noisy I don't bother with the radio. And the vibration is bad as well.

It doesn't help that the Interstates in NH are old and the surface worn.

I can't remember what's on there now; I bought them using Tire Rack's reviews, probably stressing traction. Favorite mechanic I think recommended Yokohama snows.

@Oldpilot,

You are very correct. The snows are louder then all seasons. Now I have had Michelin Ice-X as well as my personal favorite the Bridgestone Blizzak in the WS70,80, and now the 90 series tires(Bridgestone just updates the model and tread design every few years) and have found the Bridgestones to be very quiet. If the vibration is an issue that’s just a balance issue from the installer. That can be corrected easily. But as far as noise once again some roads do that especially when going from crap pavement to good pavement. I have also found that in anything above 32 degrees you will feel a big difference in performance as well.

@JRu17 you probably have the 980s unless you got old stock of the 970s. It’s a good tire nothing to complain about. I still am hooked on the Conti DWS series.

I've used the OEs, yoko avid ascend GTs and Advan sport A/S, and DWS06 Plus contis as well as blizzacks (though the latter were on a WRX) and I gotta say, after swapping from front wheel drive cars all my life to 2 WRXs and 2 3.6R Legacy's, driving in NY has never been easier. I never hurt for the traction to go forward and as long as you don't carry too much speed into a corner any decent all season will do the trick.

I think what surprised me most is that I went to 245 DWS06+s on my 3.6 recently and was sure it would be a drift monster in the snow.....nope still got traction for days ...

It seems to matter more that you not let the tread depth get too low than any other factor.

@Dougkelly20,

I have found with the DWS the “S” will start to rub away at about 6/32 or so of tread, the W at about 5/32, and then the “D” goes at about 4/32. Generally I replace my tires at 4/32 regardless and that’s the tread depth needed for max proration credit on a new set.

Yokohama’s to me just feel weird. Not saying I have ever had an issue with any Yolks I have owned but to me they just feel non responsive. And the warranty of the Yokohama’s are junk. Continental, General, and Michelin all give time based test ride warranty’s where you can exchange them if you don’t like them.

I will say this. The DWS is a very smooth driving tire at speeds over triple digits for an extended amount of time.

Goodyears are good for one year.

If you’re not going to get a dedicated set for winter, look into all weather tires like the Michelin CrossClimate2s.

this,

I am still happy with the 2018 OEM goodyears on my legacy. quiet, long life, quiet.

but, as soon as I got it, I got some cooper studded snows for winter.

I live in the mountains of upstate NY. studs as they outlast the sticky ice tires on the clock.

I would pick year round snows/ cross climate/ all weather things,....if I had to pick one year round tire.

(but all seasons on rims / studded snow on rims,....is pretty nice as long as you got the place to store them)

• 2 weeks later...
I had to go out during our snow on Saturday, so I went in my wife's Forester with the Avid Ascend GTs. Assuming it was the tires, but they were great in a mix of snowy, slushy, icy conditions.

@Ncted,

Funny you should say that. While I dislike Yolks because of the feel I will say I had a brand new pair of Avid Ascends put on a 2012 Camry V6 I had and got caught in a pretty bad snow storm on a mountain pass. They did fairly well getting me to where I needed to go without any major slippage. However that was at a full 10/32 of tread.

Seeing your screen name you are probably located in North Carolina. You can get away with all seasons in that area. Where I am located sometimes studded snow tires are pushed because of the weather.

@Ncted,

Funny you should say that. While I dislike Yolks because of the feel I will say I had a brand new pair of Avid Ascends put on a 2012 Camry V6 I had and got caught in a pretty bad snow storm on a mountain pass. They did fairly well getting me to where I needed to go without any major slippage. However that was at a full 10/32 of tread.

Seeing your screen name you are probably located in North Carolina. You can get away with all seasons in that area. Where I am located sometimes studded snow tires are pushed because of the weather.

Yeah, they don't feel as nice as the Pirelli and Michelins we had on the Forester in the past. So many tradeoffs. If I didn't need to travel to NY to see my elderly parents, any random all-season tire would probably be fine for where I live in NC.

• 3 months later...
Update: time to replace my OE Goodyears. I am leaning towards the Michelin CrossClimate2, but that price is a little hard to swallow.

Just saying, In the overall total cost, is that $100 or little more, that much of an added expense over time...

I just checked http://www.tirerack.com I guess the price of tires has increased...have you looked at these, https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+Pro&partnum=25WR8QTPXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Legacy&autoModClar=2.5i%20Limited

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had to go out during our snow on Saturday, so I went in my wife's Forester with the Avid Ascend GTs. Assuming it was the tires, but they were great in a mix of snowy, slushy, icy conditions.

If you like the Avid's, have you looked at them.

Or maybe these,

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+All+Season+4&partnum=25YR8PSAS4XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Legacy&autoModClar=2.5i%20Limited

I like tirerack because of all the info on the site, and I can pick the tires up locally and have them mounted.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Just saying, In the overall total cost, is that $100 or little more, that much of an added expense over time...

I just checked http://www.tirerack.com I guess the price of tires has increased...have you looked at these, https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+Pro&partnum=25WR8QTPXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Legacy&autoModClar=2.5i%20Limited

Yes, they are probably worth it. I did look at that other tire and strongly considered it. I found the CrossClimate2s locally for just under $200 each, so I am just going to go with those. Tires are too important a safety feature to skimp on.

CrossClimate2s are perfect! They were on sale just before winter but of course my size wasn't in so I ended up with the Pilot All Season 4s. Great tire but more sporty than I would've liked. Sticking with CrossClimate2s for all future purchases. Waiting for the next sale to get a set for my daughter's Impreza. Not going to do the winter/summer tire switchover anymore.

CrossClimate2s are perfect! They were on sale just before winter but of course my size wasn't in so I ended up with the Pilot All Season 4s. Great tire but more sporty than I would've liked. Sticking with CrossClimate2s for all future purchases. Waiting for the next sale to get a set for my daughter's Impreza. Not going to do the winter/summer tire switchover anymore.

Ironically, I ended up ordering the Pilot All Season 4s. For some reason the CrossClimate2 in my size was backordered at my local shop even though their website said they were available. I could've gotten them elsewhere, but not at that price. Do you dislike your AS 4s?

I like the AS4s for the performance and handling. They did okay this past winter but I think the CrossClimate2s would be a better fit for winter in Ohio. I live and work in the snow belt, I've been doing dedicated winter setups for the past few cars but not my current. Also the CC2s were going to be 10mm wider for my car which is what I wanted. lol. CC2s I wanted were 235/45/19. Factory size (and the AS4S) were 225/45/19.

I like the AS4s for the performance and handling. They did okay this past winter but I think the CrossClimate2s would be a better fit for winter in Ohio. I live and work in the snow belt, I've been doing dedicated winter setups for the past few cars but not my current. Also the CC2s were going to be 10mm wider for my car which is what I wanted. lol. CC2s I wanted were 235/45/19. Factory size (and the AS4S) were 225/45/19.

Well, we don't get that much winter here in NC. Traveling to NY at Christmas is the time I'd most need the snow traction. The AS4s are still going to be a big upgrade from the LS2s in all respects.

With these cars AWD system, you will be fine for the short time your in NY. It's about how you drive, not so much about the tire.

Example; my 1992 Honda Civic Si only had Michelin MXV4's, we took that car north to VT most winter weekends, my son was on a ski racing team for Okemo Mt VT, we did fine with the MXV4's and front wheel drive. Used that car until I bought my 98' Legacy GT wagon in March of 1998. Even that car and the 00' GT wagon never had snow tires. Both went to VT every winter weekend.

Use your head, you'll be fine.

One story, 98' GT wagon on OEM tires, One snowy evening I took friends up the hill after dinner in a snow storm. When I pulled into the parking spot at the condo, when they opened the back doors of the car, they were pushing snow with the doors. The car did fine never spun a tire.

I have a ton of winter driving stories in these cars.