LegacyGT.com

Preemptive Turbo Replacement?

Okay so looking for opinions here. I have a 2006 obxt 5mt w/187k on the body and 90k on new engine and turbo. When I had the new motor and turbo out in I immediately had a tune out on it from tuning alliance and the tune and motor have run flawlessly since. With 90k on the turbo I was thinking of replacing the stock turbo with a vf52 and an updated tune just to be on the same side of having my old turbo fail. Any thoughts? I drive pretty conservative and mostly freeway with the stage two upgraded fuel pump injectors and TMIC it’s been great. Just want to keep this old girl going for as many miles as I can. Thanks in advance. Cheers

So you had a new VF-40 put in 90k mi ago yes? If it was brand new at install and you have been good with oil change intervals the you are fine. Wouldn’t spend the cash at this point from a preemptive standpoint but if you want a nice bump in power, your set to maximize that VF52 since you’ve already got an upgraded pump/ injectors. Ran this set up for a number of years and it was super fun on the street :)

Thanks for the reply. Yes brand new vf40 90k ago always good on oil changes nothing but rotella t6 every time. I have been considering the vf52 for a while considering I already have the supporting mods. May still have to even though it’s not neeeded haha

Yep, the vf52 and Mikes tune is great. He tuned my vf52 over 161,000 miles ago on stock fueling, it still runs great. That was Aug 2011.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well you’ve convinced me. Time to pull the trigger on a VF-52

FWIW, my VF52 instantly ran me out of fuel on 565cc topfeed injectors, and the factory fuel pump should be upgraded just due to age of the pump. Many say you can get by with factory injectors but you'd have to run the turbo pretty conservatively and you lose some of the early spool of the little turbo by swapping it in for a VF52.

I regret putting a VF52 on my car with stock fueling. The car ran so lean (98% IDC) with a VF52 at 18PSI that I always had to keep it at lower RPMs to not run the car uber lean when it was cold out. If I were to do it again, I'd keep the fun spool characteristics of the VF46 I had before with stock fuel (90% IDC) and then do a VF52 when I had the money for a topfeed 1050X conversion. Just my two cents.

My car makes almost 30WHP more with 1050X. I can also redline it in winter now. The car also pulls like a train above 5K RPM. With stock fueling I basically noticed a big extra lump of power at around 3.5K-4K RPM compared to the VF46 and they otherwise felt similar, just more lag. The thing keeping my car going at higher RPMs was literally just ignition timing, which isn't as fun as big boost.

Edit: just noticed you have injectors already. Go hog wild man.

Edited by Pleides

It's probably a real turbo, just not a well-made one.

I bought mine used for $450 with a Kinugawa billet wheel (I believe). Had about 10K miles. I'd go that way if you're looking to save some cash.