LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

not today, but last night (super late).

Replaced RH front LCA (B-Spec style aluminum with poly bushings), inner and outer tie rods, hub/bearing.

Found out that my car (no real list of what has been done) has Epic Engineering Springs on all 4 corners (thanks everyone who has tried to help with that) with Koni Inserts, solid adjustable Front Sway bar with solid end links, bar stops, everything... Someone has put some money into it. Oh, it also had whiteline tie rod ends and LCA to knuckle ball joint (ALK, both of which were pretty well shot).

have you searched the fir sale threads for the vin? you might find the builder

Welp not I, but a professional....

I had a my windshield replaced. Over spring break for my son, we road tripped down to Georgia then back up to Taxachusetts with another visit in Virginia. Anyways, while driving through SC I heard a loud smack on the windshield. First thought was "that's gonna be bad hit" welp it sure was... the final length of the crack was almost halfway across the windshield. Original windshield finally got replaced and WOW! It's amazing the difference... LOL

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Subaru windshield glass is soft, OEM or not. Two years and you see pitting on it all over on LGT. Maximum I got from it was 5 years or so. I replaced them couple of times on mine and son's car just because it was hard to drive against sun due to all pitting.

Don't know if it was due to my year round driving, sitting low you hear the sand hitting the windshield on the highway. Ugh.

$200 or so at reputable glass replacement shop is worth it imo.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

On Subaru news, helped my older son bring home his new 2022 BRZ 6MT from the dealer.

When your kids drive cooler cars than you do, what is that called? :lol:

time for a rebuild?

You might be right, 240K on the original block and SuperGramps looks very tempting. Choices, choices...

You might be right, 240K on the original block and SuperGramps looks very tempting. Choices, choices...

you already have the 6mt, rbp, and wagon. A new high hp build with a full suspension upgrade would bring it up. Add a jdm swap with choice madrig cf bits. That brz would be just another wannabe.

Of course, competing with your kid over cars probably isn't healthy. That dr phil episode was a tear jerker...

Not my car, but went through a friend's car that I built a motor for about a year ago after he nuked an IAG Stage 2 Tuff block with 20k on it due to a suspected failed 1000cc sidefeed injector. Cracked a piston crown off of the piston to the point where the top ring was visible when looking down into the bore - nasty stuff.

Motor that replaced it was a Type RA shorblock with rings gapped out a bit over OEM, chosen instead of another IAG block because we discussed and concluded that the shop over-sold him all the way to a $15k build (with other parts he didn't need) just to hit a 300 whp target for a safe daily. Rectified all the questionable decisions on that build this time around (top feeds instead of sidefeeds, etc). The Type RA block now has low compression in cylinder 2 after another ~20k miles.

The car got dyno tuned this time around by the same guy who tuned it on the IAG block, the house tuner of the shop that did the IAG build. Talked to my friend, and it turns out the car's been pulling timing at WOT since the day it came off the dyno. 2-4 degrees most days, but says the worst he's seen is 8 degrees pulled at WOT. He has no idea what his DAM was. My friend is technically competent (automotive engineer), but takes a 'hands-off' approach to the car whenever he can because of how much else he has going on in his life. He assumed that since the tuner let the car leave the shop like this, that it was fine. Here we are.

I'm beyond frustrated that the tuner let the car leave the shop in this condition. Apparently he took the car for some street pulls when it came off the dyno, so I don't see how he couldn't have seen this happening. You can find reviews from folks in the Detroit metro area accusing him of being sloppy (and plenty of others singing his praises), but this is egregious. It brings up questions about the previous block that failed as well. There were obvious signs of detonation in the bore with the cracked piston on that one (highly distorted cylinder compared to the others, severe rod bearing wear), and we assumed that it was because an injector failed (blame the sidefeeds when everything else looks OK, right), but he elected not to have them tested to verify.

Motor's coming out, with a piston and accoutrements on order. I'm very concerned that even if I replace the obviously-damaged piston, there may be failures in progress in the other bores and bearings may have kissed the crank. Pending some disassembly and measurements, he may be buying a whole new RA shortblock as reward for making the assumption that things were fine because the car was tuned by a 'pro' tuner.

Ugh. /vent over

Edited by awfulwaffle

Not my car, but went through a friend's car that I built a motor for about a year ago after he nuked an IAG Stage 2 Tuff block with 20k on it due to a suspected failed 1000cc sidefeed injector. Cracked a piston crown off of the piston to the point where the top ring was visible when looking down into the bore - nasty stuff.

Motor that replaced it was a Type RA shorblock with rings gapped out a bit over OEM, chosen instead of another IAG block because we discussed and concluded that the shop over-sold him all the way to a $15k build (with other parts he didn't need) just to hit a 300 whp target for a safe daily. Rectified all the questionable decisions on that build this time around (top feeds instead of sidefeeds, etc). The Type RA block now has low compression in cylinder 2 after another ~20k miles.

The car got dyno tuned this time around by the same guy who tuned it on the IAG block, the house tuner of the shop that did the IAG build. Talked to my friend, and it turns out the car's been pulling timing at WOT since the day it came off the dyno. 2-4 degrees most days, but says the worst he's seen is 8 degrees pulled at WOT. My friend is technically competent (automotive engineer), but takes a 'hands-off' approach to the car whenever he can because of how much else he has going on in his life. He assumed that since the tuner let the car leave the shop like this, that it was fine. Here we are.

I'm beyond frustrated that the tuner let the car leave the shop in this condition. Apparently he took the car for some street pulls when it came off the dyno, so I don't see how he couldn't have seen this happening. He has a reputation in the Detroit metro area for being a bit on the sloppy side, but this is egregious.

Motor's coming out, with a piston on order. I'm very concerned that even if I replace the obviously-damaged piston, there may be failures in progress in the other bores and bearings may have kissed. Pending some disassembly and measurements, he may be buying a whole new RA shortblock as reward for making the assumption that things were fine because the car was tuned by a 'pro' tuner.

Ugh. /vent over

You're a good friend.

You're a good friend.

Folks who've developed unhealthy ties between their emotional well-being and the state of mechanical maintenance of a machine gotta stick together right :lol:.

Nah, he's a good friend and we do work trades whenever possible (he builds performance mopeds for a side gig so I got a pretty sweet shop bike out of the last escapade. Going 50 mph atop a weedwacker turned out to be way more fun than I thought).

Here at DumpsterFire Industries we convert your Subaru headaches into peace of mind, in exchange for cash or other stupid/questionable machines.

dfi2.thumb.png.febef1a0c55c43b13d55d747d66df70a.png

Folks who've developed unhealthy ties between their emotional well-being and the state of mechanical maintenance of a machine gotta stick together right :lol:.

Nah, he's a good friend and we do work trades whenever possible (he builds performance mopeds for a side gig so I got a pretty sweet shop bike out of the last escapade. Going 50 mph atop a weedwacker turned out to be way more fun than I thought).

Here at DumpsterFire Industries we convert your Subaru headaches into peace of mind, in exchange for cash or other stupid/questionable machines.

I am adamantly against decals, but if you produced those I would 100% slap it on my LGT.

Re: It really is crazy to me how much tuners can get away with because most people have zero idea what's going on with the motor. Especially with the Subaru forum crowd, it seems that tuning is thought to be some esoteric and magical topic, when in reality, it's just another internal combustion engine.

Edited by solidxsnake

Absolutely. I've heard tell of some tuners not even being willing to answer questions during the process for curious customers who want to be better informed. I credit the beginning of the process that led me to being able to tune my own car as the tune I got from Cryo, who was very patient and willing to explain things as we went. Need more like him.

Absolutely. I've heard tell of some tuners not even being willing to answer questions during the process for curious customers who want to be better informed. I credit the beginning of the process that led me to being able to tune my own car as the tune I got from Cryo, who was very patient and willing to explain things as we went. Need more like him.

Cobb is partly to blame on this, I think. The current version requires a dealer contract and dyno to access full suite. Maybe this requirement has changed, but it was this way when v3 first came out.

I'd have been willing to sign any waivers to get access.

Today I replaced the rear sway bar end links on the Spec B. What a PITA. Something that looks so straight forward... Glad I have a great selection of air tools. Ended up having to cut all four studs with either the straight or right angle cut off tools, but the air saw seemed to be the most useful. The old nuts would back off the studs and then strip the threads and stop moving. I seem to recall having to cut the end links off the wagon years ago.

Funny thing is, before this job, I used the air saw to cut a rotting board out of the deck on the back of the house. Those little saw blades cut wood really easy.

The Moog end links, of course, have different size nuts and flats than the OEMs. I found it easier to remove the brake calipers to get a ratchet on the upper studs. Yes, I snugged the new end links up, then put the tires back on and sat the car back on the ramps then tighten the end links. Then greased them. I'll look around and see what's out there for a 15mm flex head ratching box end wrench...

I'll say, I started these jobs just after 9am today and was finished at 12:20PM. Having a nice garage is wonderful. It was 64F in there, while outside, it's 81F now.

Edit, Looking around the tools, I did find my stubby 15mm ratching box end, it's in a set of them. I see HF has a normal set which has a 15mm flex head ratching box end for $26.00

Next edit, last night went to HF, spent some money, I now have that set and a set of metric tubing wrenches.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

These last few weeks have been quite busy with my Spec B. While I've had a small bin full of parts waiting on my lazy ass to get them installed, the recent cobb news made me get moving.

• DW Pump
  • ID1000 Injectors
  • Cobb EBCS
  • AEM Wideband for tuning then removed
  • GS Intake
  • All this on top of the existing built longblock and BNR 18g with supporting inlet/IC/exhaust mods.

Then of course tuned before the ridiculous software changes were made. Still working out some small adjustments and waiting on an upgraded wastegate actuator, but overall I am enjoying the car a lot. I would say I can't wait to dyno it but really, I don't care so much. As long as it drives nicely, has a safe tune and is pulling this strong I'm not so interested in what the number is.

Looking for a clean radiator shroud that would compliment the setup nicely. Pardon the dusty bay, I need to detail it

20220430_195736.thumb.jpg.dafed350543908b25668eb684e42d32c.jpg

The Koni Sport shocks/struts + SWIFT lowering springs combo lowers the car 1.5-2". Good look! and the quieter and much more compliant ride are well worth the upgrades. The strut setting to the softest mark, it is perfect as a daily driver.

To continue my post from above, while playing in the garage today I opened a drawer on the tool box and found an 18mm and a 15mm combination wrench in a set... LOL. I'll blame that on me trying to find a place for everything in the new garage. I've put so many things away... I stumble onto them every now and then...

I'll also add the fully insulated garage is staying at 64F to 69F even though it's in the 80's the past few days. For those that haven't been following, https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/construction-has-begun-286605.html?p=6063811#post6063811

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There is a value that you have to adjust that the dash uses to calculate mpg. The first pass is multiplying it by the percent change in the scalar, then you can fine tune by calculating mpg yourself over a few full-to-empty tanks. Mine still reads 1 or 2 mog high and hasn't bothered me enough to fix...

I've tried finding this in the map and searching the forums, if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Same sentiment towards Mike @ Tuning Alliance. Not sure he's still tuning actively anymore, but he was always happy to chat with me and give me advice, even kept my Cobb AP tune unlocked so I could look at it, question it, and modify it myself, etc., with the promise to not share it.

My car was e-tuned by Shamar when the Infamous Tuning was still operational. I am sad the enterprise ended the way it ended. Too bad for all of us in Subaru community.

I am happy with the tune after all these years. One of the things Shamar said at the time he was addressing on stock tune was timing on cyl2.

I lost access to Yahoo email account I used to exchange with him.

Edited by SubOperator

To continue my post from above, while playing in the garage today I opened a drawer on the tool box and found an 18mm and a 15mm combination wrench in a set... LOL. I'll blame that on me trying to find a place for everything in the new garage. I've put so many things away... I stumble onto them every now and then...

I'll also add the fully insulated garage is staying at 64F to 69F even though it's in the 80's the past few days. For those that haven't been following, https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/construction-has-begun-286605.html?p=6063811#post6063811

Love the 3 car garage we have... However, with the arrival of BRZ my wagon is back on the driveway! Gotta talk to boys about it one day :lol:

you already have the 6mt, rbp, and wagon. A new high hp build with a full suspension upgrade would bring it up. Add a jdm swap with choice madrig cf bits. That brz would be just another wannabe.

Of course, competing with your kid over cars probably isn't healthy. That dr phil episode was a tear jerker...

Well that was the actual reason for going for an STI 6MT as opposed to SpecB... Already have 09 JDM SpecB front end cutout in RBP sitting in the basement...And already on Pinks with Bilsteins...

Reading all these horror stories about built IAG and Type RA blocks I am leaning towards EZ30 with high-flow Raptor headers and mild low pressure turbo build.. 300-350 hp at the wheels on the daily is fine by me. Already talked to a reputable local tuner with years of experience about it...

And while I did best my middle son's time by 0.1 second last year at AutoX, he is now on new RT660s and sure will kick my rear in his 97 Miata. Don't even want to think about BRZ, sons says it has a lot of power and he knows my LGT as his own.

Fun times...

Edited by SubOperator
Double spacing huh?

2nd autox of the season for me yesterday. 7 runs, got my best time (66.4) on the 2nd morning run, then couldn't beat it for the afternoon. Closest I got was a clean 66.5. Turns out, my car stopped boosting to what it's supposed to (10psi instead of ~19psi). Suspect my BPV is starting to leak. Oh well, nothing damaging and I still always have a blast throwing the car around even if I'm slow :D

Edit: turns out the car was boosting just fine. Hose from MAP sensor to manifold popped off the nipple on the manifold.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4X240Owaiw]SCCA NER Solo 2022 #3 - 15 May 2022 - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by solidxsnake

My car was e-tuned by Shamar when the Infamous Tuning was still operational. I am sad the enterprise ended the way it ended. Too bad for all of us in Subaru community.

I am happy with the tune after all these years. One of the things Shamar said at the time he was addressing on stock tune was timing on cyl2.

I lost access to Yahoo email account I used to exchange with him.

I would love to understand more about how one goes about tuning per-cylinder comps! Were you set up for 4 channel EGT logging?

I went on a reasonably long trip on Saturday (about 450 km return) and got 7.8 litres/100 km = 36.2 miles per imperial gallon = 30.2 miles per US gallon. Not bad for a wagon and definitely better than my 2001 Miata would get. But my last fillup was CDN $92.76 in the Toronto area. It has never been that high before and there is no sign of anything coming down. This is a stock naturally aspirated 2.5 litre SOHC engine. I am happy with the mileage but it could get better.