LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I did mine with quick jacks as well (the older version, not the newer ones that are 3" taller). You could probably do it with jack stands, just make sure they are big enough to safely lift the car ~20" or so. I had to slide the tranny under, then wrangle it onto a tranny jack, then lift it into place.

I finished the 6MT swap last night. It's SOOOOO much nicer than the 5MT. It's crazy how much quieter the cabin is with a cable shifter.

I may have to adjust the horizontal alignment a tad and I'm getting a weird noise from the starter (like it's not fully engaging). Flywheel and clutch setup are new so I'm curious if the noise subsides as the new flywheel wears a tad.

That weird noise just might be from the starter not being totally centered. I noticed that with mine when I first did it. I ended up loosening mine, centering it by hand then tightening down.

My starter was on its way out to begin with so I just initially chalked it up to a bad starter.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

That weird noise just might be from the starter not being totally centered. I noticed that with mine when I first did it. I ended up loosening mine, centering it by hand then tightening down.

My starter was on its way out to begin with so I just initially chalked it up to a bad starter.

Interesting. I'll try that. Thanks.

For the last 9 months I have been maintaining my '09 Legacy SE EJ253 2.5i naturally aspirated sedan. I bought it with 137K miles, 156K now. (19K mostly freeway miles).

DTC codes: 0013, 0420, 0138, (As of today, there are finally no pending or permanent codes) We will see how long that lasts!

Replaced: O2/air-fuel/PCV sensors, brakes/rotors, air filter, spark plugs, cat., wipers, driver door switch, hood stay grommet, battery hold-down, ATF (x2), several oil & filter changes.

Yet to replace: Rocker/Valve cover gaskets and spark tube seals. (There is oil getting into the spark plug tubes. I suspect it is affecting the spark). Passenger window regulator. Timing belt, Suspension components.

Body work: Front bumper cover, hood, head light set,

Cleaned: MAF, EGR, throttle body, cabin air-filter.

Additives: Techron x3, Blue Devil power steering stop leak, Blue Devil engine oil stop leak, Cataclean.

Repaired: Trunk light, center console lid, LR door latch,

Added: roof racks, 12v power plug in console for BT connectivity. Dash cover (missed the sticky dash recall!)

Love the way it looks and drives. Fun to work on. Sometimes frustrating to figure out problems

Edited by 58Tucker

Sooo I'm on vacation. Developed a minor misfire. Left home Saturday, knowing it'll only act up if I really use it. Welp I'm in Virginia at stay number 2 and it decided to get a little worse. Used my AP and found cyl.3 being the culprit. Thank heavens for a nearby autozone and my tool set. I think it's good.. I'll find out in the AM.

*update* back to normal!! Thank heavens!!!

Edited by Scottydunno

P2227 after limping it home after the last 16 hours from NM to Nor Cal.

Time to dive into major maintenance.

MAP sensor diagnosis first. Interesting to see residual oil in the nooks and crannies.

Belt change on the books. Well see soon if compression is even in all 4. I'm not going to do this hot like the book states.

Yanked the engine.

Exhaust system had a bunch of oil in it, compression numbers from cylinder 1-4 respectively were 130, 100, 140, 100 psi. Turbo looks to be in good shape and the intercooler isn't full of oil so guessing I'm going to find at least a blown right side head gasket and possibly some broken ring lands and / or scored cylinders.

Anyone here currently have their engine bay splash shield off with the intention to put it back on? I need to buy new hardware for mine and I'm think I can deduce most of the mounting points. Just don't want to make sure I don't miss anything

Yanked the engine.

Exhaust system had a bunch of oil in it, compression numbers from cylinder 1-4 respectively were 130, 100, 140, 100 psi. Turbo looks to be in good shape and the intercooler isn't full of oil so guessing I'm going to find at least a blown right side head gasket and possibly some broken ring lands and / or scored cylinders.

In the same position. Compression numbers not even and shimmery coolant???

Packing it in for the day and get ready to pull this motor.

Anyone here currently have their engine bay splash shield off with the intention to put it back on? I need to buy new hardware for mine and I'm think I can deduce most of the mounting points. Just don't want to make sure I don't miss anything

The hardware is three bolts with 12mm heads (two by the radiator, and one on the center jack mount behind the engine) and two plastic push pins/clips for the wings.

In the same position. Compression numbers not even and shimmery coolant???

Packing it in for the day and get ready to pull this motor.

My coolant actually looked surprisingly clean. Didn't bother checking with the test strips though.

Wow that's it? I thought for sure there should be 37. I'm assuming the bolts are something like m8x1.5. Or something there abouts.

More like 8mmx 1.25

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah I went out and tested the m8x1.25 successfully. I just need to clean those threads out. 5 years of crud makes them not friendly to bolts.

I used the part catalog to get the shield itself, but wanted to not spend $15 on 3 bolts and push clips. But now I see those bolts are a mildly unique shape. I'm sure I could slap anything up there and call it a day, though $15 to not have to spend time and think about it isn't that bad.

Had to give up my SPT intake to help out a friend in a pinch, so finally got on the 08-14 WRX big tube intake I've had sitting in a bin forever. Finishing scaling MAF on my way home from work so I can keep tuning the X500 which, on the SPT intake and wastegate pressure w/ no timing and rich fuel, made the car feel like my old stage 2 setup. Can't wait to get it choochin for real.

Yeah a bit of oil residue tells me I have a head gasket leak. Hopefully no cracks on these head castings. Only 95K on these castings.

Just saying, these turbo motors don't seem to have HG issues. Are you sure your not seeing the passenger side valve cover leak ?

DSCN4732.thumb.JPG.5c6c88912d820bef6274493f252ebce6.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here