LegacyGT.com

2014 Base Stereo to 2014 Premium with color screen

Samets

So I want to upgrade the base 2014 to the Premium models stereo. Premium does not have the HK system so the amp is not the issue but the wiring on the back of the units is different. Can someone identify what all of the connectors on each unit are used for?

This is the 2014 base unit:

617_1.JPG.6d8869e2a156c3d5e6537598934d6793.JPG

PE617U1.thumb.JPG.1c5160422c7a4f5e626bb69005256cba.JPG

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a non-trivial swap, I think. The base radio uses three connectors - a 4 pin, a 16 pin, and a 20 pin. The display radio uses four connectors - a 4 pin (the same), a 6 pin, a 10 pin, and a 28 pin.

Most of the leads are there and could be moved around (pins look to be different, though - so maybe not a simple plug and play), but you really want the wiring harness pigtails from a donor vehicle so that you can adapt your harness to that.

You'll want to take a look at this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wants-see-my-vacation-pixi-6216p10.html

So I want to upgrade the base 2014 to the Premium models stereo. ...

Can someone identify what all of the connectors on each unit are used for?

Your '2014 base' HU (which first appeared as a step-up-from-base model in 2012) is CE617U1 (printed on the front). I describe all of the rear sockets and connections in this post.

The 2014 Premium HU is PE669U1. See my post here for descriptions of the pin-outs (on the 2012 model PE627U1). Rear connectors and their pin-outs on all of the 2012-2014 'display' HUs are the same.

Audio section of Subaru's 2013 owner's manual (PDF) is here. In 2013-2014 cars, CE617U1 HU is the "type A audio" and the display HU is the "type B audio". In 2012, the lowest-level HU (without BT) is type A, CE617U1 is type B, and display HU is type C.

Complete OM's sets are available here (Subaru Resource Center).

To "transplant" one of the newer display HUs into your car, you'll need adapter harnesses similar to this:

Legacy_Outback_transplant_harness-CE.thumb.jpg.2d3dc527131acaab2f7cf9e8b479a0e3.jpg

With that, the new HU will be virtually "plug-and-play" (for all of the main audio functions). The factory USB cable will connect straight into the new HU.

If you had the OEM sat radio tuner accessory, its antenna cable will connect directly to the XM antenna connector on the newer display HU.

For the dual AM/FM antenna connection, you'll need either a couple of aftermarket adapters, or the OEM adapter normally used with the display HU. I'm trying to track down the Subaru part number on the OEM piece, since it would have several advantages, including that it's a single piece with an outer sheath protecting the coax cables.

The above picture doesn't show the rear camera input RCA jack, but it would be the same as on the picture below...

People with the 'even-more-base' HU PE605U6 (with built-in BT but no USB) will need harnesses like these:

Legacy_Outback_transplant_harness-PE.thumb.jpg.4e107268e055fee8a969bc7c517d1a13.jpg

People with the bottom-end PE645U1 (no BT or USB) will need that except without the 8-pin mic socket (and you'll have to jump through some extra hoops to get BT phone call capability).

Replacing either of those HUs (PE605U6 and PE645U1), if you want to use the new HU's USB port you'll probably also want this reverse Subaru USB adapter:

AE-USBSUB-R.thumb.jpg.a10b3c7abe1216a968303f4fa6b91459.jpg

Europe, Australia, and other countries get similar base HUs with different model numbers (e.g., PE415L6, PE315R6, PE205K6, etc.). This should be doable in those cars too.

For general questions, please ask in this thread. For questions about ordering, use e-mail (not private messages through the forum). You can find my contact info on my site, ae64.com .

I continue to have a large queue of e-mails to reply to, so it could take several days. For the fastest response, try to ask as few questions as possible (do your homework) and tell me all of the information I ask for (see my site).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Can some help me I try to upgrade my stock ce617u1 radio to a pe 627u1 Panasonic i have all the connectors but I need the locations from the 16 pin connector to the 28 pin connector I try to reach the guy that sells the complete connector but he never respond any help will be appreciated

Did he sell you the one pictured here? it looks like that's all color coded already... ( think he sells the adapter kit for aftermarket stereos to either system, so all he did was provide the 2 kits, then wired up the 28 pin connector with what transfers from the 20 and 16 pin connectors)

all of the wiring diagrams are available on this site - I was bored so here's a key for you as well. You'll need to find the reverse lead somewhere (not sure where it is)

attachment.thumb.jpg.8edb0fad451c6f4a5d9e15245cb69371.jpg

Capture.thumb.JPG.07ea38f09e37388e7917e441be79811f.JPG

Yes but I'm having issues with feedback while trying to use the microphone... There's a spot for a ground wire in the speaker harness that is not there and that may be the issue... I've been trying to get a hold of him to get that one wire so I can plug it in and test but he's not answering my emails...

the ground for the microphone should be pin 6 on the 28 pin connector (for the shield) If it's set up for a rear-view camera, then pins 6 and 8 should be tied together (both ground - should pass from pin 6 on the new 28 pin connector to pin 10 on the 16 pin connector from the car harness, I think)

According to all of the diagrams I have, that pin (to F/B 14) is not used with any of the display audio units (with or without the HK speakers and amp) - it's only there for the base audio wiring harness.

Thank you for your help I found that the reverse wire on pin 2 of the 28 pin connector goes to a blue wire with red stripes on the bottom right side of the 20 pin connector now my next question is what do I need to connect the antenna I see a lexus part but I'm not sure

unfortunately, the service manuals don't show what the antenna connectors look like for different radios. I am guessing you have the big round style - the stereo you have now uses a 2-pin connector - there are adapter harnesses available (from svxdc and on ebay) but I don't know if that connector is the same (looks like it has square contacts - from what I remember when I had my stereo out, that's not what the newer display headunits use) - I think this is a question for SVXdc - I would bet he can even make said adapter, too.

I am currently working on a similar transplant: CE617U1 to PE658U1.

CE617U1 uses round 2-pin Nissan diversity antenna plug, which in turn is an adapter plugged into the vehicle's harness down below. I wanted to minimize the number of connections and avoid a daisy chain of adapters, so I ordered Metra 40-SB30 kit on ebay.

Alternatively, a combination of Metra 40-NI10 plus Metra 40-LX21 should work

Thank you to all that help me I have the pe 627u1 working everything works but two things the antenna adapter lx 21 fits but the reception is noisy and the usb skips I don't know if is the radio or something is wrong

Thank you to all that help me I have the pe 627u1 working everything works but two things the antenna adapter lx 21 fits but the reception is noisy and the usb skips I don't know if is the radio or something is wrong

What year Legacy did this go into?

Archived