LegacyGT.com

Hello all,

Extremely happy to be a new owner of a Atlantic Blue 2005 Legacy GT 5 speed with 112,000 miles on it. Also happy to be a new member of the forum. I have been browsing the threads for a few days now.

I do have a few issues Id like to share and get some input on.

My CEL came on with the cruise light flashing a few days ago. I have a misfire in every cylinder as well as a lean fuel mixture from bank 1.

The car idles fairly rough. It hesitates and has a huge amount of power loss. Sometimes when the car is not warmed up i can barely get through first and second gear. When accelerating the car bucks, only sometimes though. Sometimes ill crawl through the lower half of the gear and all of a sudden all the power comes back and ill take off. the One other issue is that when pulling hard through second or third gear at around 4.5k rmps the engine completely dumps off and i lose all power (no acceleration at all).

The timing belt was just done 200 miles ago

apparently one of the valve cover gaskets was done recently but it is definitely still leaking. either that or the other one is now leaking.

My ideas are, coil pack, spark plugs, mass air flow sensor or whoever did the timing belt didnt do it right.

the dealer needs to fix these issues as it will not pass inspection. In MA the vehicle needs to pass inspection or the dealer needs to fix it. Any insight would be gratefully appreciated.

Ill try to get some pictures of the car later. Its bone stock for now and very clean.

Sounds like you bought a car with a blown turbo. I would have it checked out before driving any further and possible consider returning the car to whoever sold it to you this way

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

OK but if the turbo is blown then the dealer would have to fix it in order for it to pass inspection. Would there be other symptoms of a blown turbo like smoke. If I'm in neutral the car revs fine.

Keep searching around the forum for other posts similar to your issues... I just wouldn't be so happy to own the car if you are already having problems and you just purchased it... just my opinion

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

What codes did you get on the CEL? You should start there... How much do you pay for it? I would take it back have them fix every single thing if you paid top dollar for it... Otherwise get a refund...

i paid $8000 for it. i cant remember the codes exactly i will look at them again tmrw. It was a misfire in cylinder 1, 2, 3, and 4 as well as a lean fuel mixture from bank 1. At first it was only misfiring on cylinder 4 but now its throwing a code for every cylinder. I am going to hook it up to the snap-on diagnostic tool tmrw at work.

The snap on will help out... It could be a number of things. Maybe the coil packs maybe the timing is off, 8k sounds decent, I would take it back to dealer and have them address those issues, avoid driving it if you can. But then again these cars are moody and it could be something simple... Dx dx n dx some more...

Either way I wouldn't be happy after spending 8 grand on a car that has these kind of issues. You should have gotten a pre purchase inspection before buying the vehicle regardless of if the dealer will replace things that are wrong. I wouldn't have the dealer fix the issues that are wrong either I would take it somewhere and have it done right

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Could also be a vacuum leak. The lean issue would be a sign. Mass air flow cars don't like unmetered air 1 bit. I've seen a bunch of the turbo inlet pipes Crack fairly substantially.

• 3 weeks later...
Just updating everyone with what happened. Car has been at the dealer for two weeks. Turns out the issue was cause by a cracked piston. Dealer rebuilt the motor and did throw out bearing for clutch. Turbo was replaced before I purchased the car. Timing belt was also done before i purchased the car. Should have it back Friday. All this work done is free of charge because of lemon law. I've been driving an 03 civic hybrid loaner car -_- can't wait

Just updating everyone with what happened. Car has been at the dealer for two weeks. Turns out the issue was cause by a cracked piston. Dealer rebuilt the motor and did throw out bearing for clutch. Turbo was replaced before I purchased the car. Timing belt was also done before i purchased the car. Should have it back Friday. All this work done is free of charge because of lemon law. I've been driving an 03 civic hybrid loaner car -_- can't wait

They giving you a warranty on the new motor? Hopefully the work done fixes the issues, but you never know. The cracked piston could possibly be a sympton of another problem, not the cause of the problem. Keep an eye on the oil that comes out of the motor, maybe get it tested. General consensus is that the stock tune is garbage and can lead to accelerated wear on the engine, so its a good idea to get a good tune. If anything seems off, don't drive it and get it to a shop that is knowledgeable of subarus.

Good luck with the car

Archived