LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would feel a lot better about my CVT if it had a fluid change interval in the manual to be honest. 60k would be fine for me. But I am freaking out about it because there have been a lot of posts. The new head gasket problems...

Back to square one. Wish I kept the 09 Legacy. :/ or got a stick!

Never to late to trade up to a GT!

I think it's around 97k miles on the clock right now on my 2013 2.5i Prem. I need to take it in for an air bag recall and I get them to check the CVT fluid.

I know Both diffs fluid been replaced at 71k.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick look at the complaints of the CVT transmission, not just subbies but the magical mileage for failure is around 100,000 miles. So if it is going to fail, it may just be in the 60,000 > 100,000 mile range.

https://www.carfax.com/blog/CVT-pros-and-cons

My 1997 Subbie outback had 170,00 miles on the car and 250,000 on the engine. The 1995 had 205,000 miles.

My Volvo 2002 V60 had 205,000 miles on it and would run east coast west coast without any problem. My 2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD had 110,000 on it and would also run east coast west coast without any problems.

Our 2011 Honda CRV with 117,000 miles on it runs up and down the east coast to Florida and back without any problems.

The above cars all have / had high mileage but none were CVT cars.

My 2015 OB Limited is a CVT with 36,000 miles on it and I am crossing my fingers that I can get the same miles out of it as my other cars. At least there is the extended CVT warranty.

Edited by urdrwho

Currently at 155k miles on the '13 Legacy 2.5i CVT. Have had no issues with the engine. *knocks on wood* Simply have done the maintenance intervals, had a reputable 3rd party subie shop perform the work, and kept the oil guzzler happy every 5k miles with a quart (the recall requires a quart every 3k >_<).

Major maintenance done by subie shop was replacing the water pump and pulley tensioners (apparently there is no belt to replace, but rather a chain I learned).

I've done DIY for suspension and braking. Unrelated to motor work!

A quick look at the complaints of the CVT transmission, not just subbies but the magical mileage for failure is around 100,000 miles. So if it is going to fail, it may just be in the 60,000 > 100,000 mile range.

https://www.carfax.com/blog/CVT-pros-and-cons

My 1997 Subbie outback had 170,00 miles on the car and 250,000 on the engine. The 1995 had 205,000 miles.

My Volvo 2002 V60 had 205,000 miles on it and would run east coast west coast without any problem. My 2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD had 110,000 on it and would also run east coast west coast without any problems.

Our 2011 Honda CRV with 117,000 miles on it runs up and down the east coast to Florida and back without any problems.

The above cars all have / had high mileage but none were CVT cars.

My 2015 OB Limited is a CVT with 36,000 miles on it and I am crossing my fingers that I can get the same miles out of it as my other cars. At least there is the extended CVT warranty.

JATCO does not make Subaru CVT transmissions... cannot compare them in trying to estimating their reliability..

• 2 weeks later...
Well, you're past the 7/31/18 deadline, and well over the 100,000 mile limit, so unfortunately, you may end up footing the bill for this one yourself. Your options are likely to replace the torque converter (assuming that's the problem, you'd want to do some diagnosis first) or drop in a lower-mileage used transmission- your choice, probably worth looking into both to see how much each route would cost you.

Well, you're past the 7/31/18 deadline, and well over the 100,000 mile limit, so unfortunately, you may end up footing the bill for this one yourself. Your options are likely to replace the torque converter (assuming that's the problem, you'd want to do some diagnosis first) or drop in a lower-mileage used transmission- your choice, probably worth looking into both to see how much each route would cost you.

What do you mean 7/31 deadline? An thanks for the suggestion on the torque convert I'll look into it. I'm trying to make an appointment to get it looked at.

Subaru had an extended warranty on the CVT starting last July or so, which covered all CVT vehicles until they were 10 years old or had 100,000 miles on them. It covered all vehicles regardless of mileage up until July 31, 2018, so that would have been your window. Since it sounds like this is something you're just now hearing about, you may be able to try to make a case for Subaru to cover part or all of it if you've been experiencing the issue since before the cutoff. There was a letter that went out (a couple people attached a PDF scan to their posts a few pages back), but depending on when and where you bought the vehicle, you may not have gotten it.

Couldn't hurt to ask, at least- worst they can say is no.

for cars over 100K miles, Subaru had a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty that expired on 7/31/18

the warranty terms are as a follows

1. 1 year unlimited mileage warranty for all cars. (expired)

2. 10 year/100K mile warranty (whichever occurs first) for all other cars (cars will start dropping off any time now due to age (2010 cars bought in 2009 for example) or mileage goes over 100K... in my car's case, I will run out of years before I run out of miles as my car is 5 years old with only 53K on it.

• 1 month later...
I have a little over 40,000 miles on mine and it recently started doing something weird that has me a little concerned. So in the north east it's started to get cold and I've noticed that the transmission doesn't want to shift by itself past 4th gear, so around town I'm revving at like 2,000 rpm. This problem started when it started getting colder, has this happened to anyone else? Is it anything serious, and is there any fix?

I have a little over 40,000 miles on mine and it recently started doing something weird that has me a little concerned. So in the north east it's started to get cold and I've noticed that the transmission doesn't want to shift by itself past 4th gear, so around town I'm revving at like 2,000 rpm. This problem started when it started getting colder, has this happened to anyone else? Is it anything serious, and is there any fix?

I have a 2017 with 39k miles, but my car has done this since it was brand new. When it's cold the RPMs will be higher to allow things to come up to operating temperature. Once you are near operating temperature (about 15 minutes into your drive) it should behave normally. Depending on how cold it is, I will be driving at 3,000 RPMs at 35mph until the car is warmed up.

I have a 2017 with 39k miles, but my car has done this since it was brand new. When it's cold the RPMs will be higher to allow things to come up to operating temperature. Once you are near operating temperature (about 15 minutes into your drive) it should behave normally. Depending on how cold it is, I will be driving at 3,000 RPMs at 35mph until the car is warmed up.

Oohh okay, thanks. It just started doing this to me recently and I noticed that it does go away after a few minutes of driving.

• 2 months later...

2014 2.5i rolling over 93K miles any day now. No issues other than the occasional very-slight dip in RPM when coming to a complete stop. Has never stalled or done anything else strange.

I'm concerned it will die at 101k and effectively total the car. Anyone know what replacement costs might run either at a dealer or aftermarket for if it fails after the 100k warranty?

The car is paid off and I feel like it makes sense to try and keep driving it a while. It's 95% highway miles and will continue to be a commuter.

Should I sell it at 99K miles and cut my losses?

I have around 112k on my 2012 and haven't had any issues (knock on wood) after getting spark plugs replaced it had an issue that felt like driving over rumbul strips but they contributed that to a misfire due to a loose connection at the coil.

2014 2.5i rolling over 93K miles any day now. No issues other than the occasional very-slight dip in RPM when coming to a complete stop. Has never stalled or done anything else strange.

I'm concerned it will die at 101k and effectively total the car. Anyone know what replacement costs might run either at a dealer or aftermarket for if it fails after the 100k warranty?

The car is paid off and I feel like it makes sense to try and keep driving it a while. It's 95% highway miles and will continue to be a commuter.

Depends on what it's worth, book value vs possible repair costs vs cost of a new vehicle. But most CVTs after the initial 2010/2011s haven't been problematic. I would have the dealer look at the dio in rpm now and see if it isnt just a firmware issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have 217k on my 2010 Legacy, with zero issues. CVT and Engine have been solid for me over the last 5 years of ownership, averaging a good 40,000 miles a year. I'm getting it in this week for a new Timing Belt (2nd one for the car), but that is routine maintenance. I would not be afraid of the car, nor the CVT.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey bro how's it going I have a 12 with 235000 miles. The only problem I had was a couple months ago. My car felt like it wanted to to stall when I would take off from stops. So I changed my cvt fuild a couple times hoping it would get better and it was slowly getting worse. So I called Subaru and told them what was happening soil took it in. And it turned out to be a one of my solenoid was bad. And they replaced for $1500 and I haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ang323

Hey bro how's it going I have a 12 with 235000 miles. The only problem I had was a couple months ago. My car felt like it wanted to to stall when I would take off from stops. So I changed my cvt fuild a couple times hoping it would get better and it was slowly getting worse. So I called Subaru and told them what was happening soil took it in. And it turned out to be a one of my solenoid was bad. And they replaced for $1500 and I haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did they do just the solenoid or the entire valve body?