LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

It’s a mid-2015 85D. That means that the “range” is 260 miles when fully charged. I’m not sure at what speed that range is determined but if you go 80-85mph you aren’t going to get 260 miles. I’d guess closer to 200. Between Los Altos (in the Bay Area, near San Jose for those not familiar with the geography) and Portland I need to stop 5 times, Vacaville-Corning-Mt Shasta-Grants Pass-Eugene. With a 100D or P100D I’m sure you can eliminate at least one of those.

Since I road trip with my dog, stopping every 2 hours to get out walk around, go to the bathroom, get some food/coffee or even just relax, in conjunction with the AutoPilot make driving long distances even with Supercharger stops much less strenuous. I drove Phoenix to Santa Monica, hung out with a friend for a couple hours and Santa Monica to Los Altos on the same day (technically it spilled over into the next) which was almost 800 miles, and walked 22k steps and my dog got 220 minutes of activity (he has a Whistle activity tracker).

I haven’t really pushed it that hard in regards to handling but the low COG is very apparent in emergency handling situations on the freeway. I’ve been in several close calls with oblivious people trying to wreck into to me.

No engine sound is really nice especially on road trips.

Edited by WRX USA

Just finished another OCI after ripping to Burbank and back. Perfect round trip to finish of this interval. Ripped down there on Tuesday and back Friday night. Car sat at the hotel otherwise.

Did some calculations later.

If I could maintain 186% of the posted speed limit on I5 I could get one way done in 2.25 hours as opposed to 5 hours.

Holding Boost at 9psi is a sure way to suck some fuel. My average plummeted. But I wanted to get home.

Thankful for the Waze community posting speed traps.

Disappointed cruise control is limited to 90mph.

Have done down town LA to Tri Valley in 4.5 hours ago years ago. This was in a VW rabbit geared for 55 MPH. She was singing all the way for sure.

Would prefer a I5 Autobahn as opposed to a bullet train. People just don't get it. Pay attention and get over to the right lane if not passing. I have to let off one too many times waiting for a clear pocket to leave groups of cars behind me.

1. Don't do it. Costs too much. The cars might be cheap now. But none of the parts are. I. E. Engine blows (and it probably will) that's at least $6k if you want it to last. Timing belt / water pump will need to be done that's $1200 etc.

2. This is the soccer-mom area of the forum where we all pretend our cars are race cars and not uncool wagons. I suggest you go read a bunch of threads in the Legacy GT side of things. You want to go the the 05-09 forum.

3. If you really want to build it still have fun there is a lot of good information here. But, it requires you to research on your own. Anytime you go with the "cheap" option it will probably come back to bite you.

It's been a month without driving my car. H6 heads being repaired and rebuild, I cannot wait to drive it again. Multiple things have failed after a strong and unexpected bump, then head gaskets decided to blow. So I decided to not only replace them but to refurbish the whole thing. The block itself is ok thankfuly.

About a week ago I picked up an 06 OB XT w/5MT!

mksCgZH.jpg

It's super clean even though it has 186k miles on the chassis. Interior is about an 8.7 out of 10, Looks almost brand new. Exterior is about an 8.7 as well. A couple tiny dings but that's about it.

The engine is leaking from every seal, as you'd expect a Subaru with this many miles, haha. I'm going to pull the engine in a couple months when it warms up and replace all seals, hoses, vacuum lines, etc. Refresh the heads, and do the HGs. If the block seems janky I'll throw in a new OEM SB or maybe just replace the bearings, a light hone, and throw in some new piston rings.

I'm not looking to do a crazy high HP build on the XT. I have the 360 whp bugeye for that, haha. The XT is meant to be a desert camping vehicle to get to the climbing crags I love. So I am planning on a 1" Subtle Solutions lift, some Method or Sparco 15" rims, and some big tires (maybe Geolanders). I'll throw on some KYB-AGXs or Excel G too. Thought about getting King springs, but the reports of them slowly compressing to stock spring height has me concerned, so I'll probably keep the stock springs.

Once I get the motor out, I'll decide on what I want to do with the VF40. At the very least I'll replace the center cartridge. Maybe a vf52, but the BNR EVo3 16g looks pretty good and isn't that much. An upgraded tmic would be nice, but I don't think it's necessary for my power goals. I'll at least bulletproof it.

Also gonna ditch the catted uppipe and replace the clutch. And get some HIDs (haven't looked into that for the XT headlights yet, but I've retrofitted HID projectors into JDM headlights before so I can figure it out).

Then a big ass roof basket for gear and that should about do it. Already has a trailer hitch.

Anyway, looking forward to working on it and dumping $$$ down the toilet. I'm trying to keep myself from throwing in an IAG block and a 20g lol. I really like the VF40 for a daily though. The range is better than a TD04 for sure, and it doesn't have the lag of my 20G-XT that's in the bugeye.

If anyone has any catback recomendations let me know. The seem pretty damn expensive but that's probably due to the fact that the XT has two mufflers.

Unfortuantely I think I am going to sell my beloved '93 Turbo Legacy finally. Never thought I would sell it. It's taught me everything I know about Subarus, but it's time has come. :'(

Edited by monkeyposeur

Shocked at my average MPG running at 24.6 up 99 today, all Highway miles. But as soon as get off the call it plummets.

Rough startup this morning. Even stalled on me backing out of the driveway.

Btssm logs?

So I blew out the flex joint in My stock up-pipe. Do I bother re-installing the stupid manifold heat shields?

I would

Btssm logs?

Negative. AP, but I like were your going here.

Need to read up more on Btssm. On the apple so never really considered it as an option. An android tablet would be neat though.

Will have to log with eh AP for now.

So I blew out the flex joint in My stock up-pipe. Do I bother re-installing the stupid manifold heat shields?

Mine rusted out when I replaced my uppipe 4 years ago. I haven't replaced them since. :lol:

My driveshaft went out. Loud vibrations when going above 40mph, so bad it shook the car.

I had to do careful measurements for a replacement as I realized there were TWO lengths of automatic driveshafts for the 4th gen - the more common 5 spd one is 58" long and the 4 spd (only found in base/2.5i) one is 63" long. If you have an STI 6 spd in your OBXT, the 4spd driveshaft is the one to get :lol:

(I guess I got lucky the first time around, I just picked up a "regular" auto driveshaft for my swap and it fit without any issues).

I think I want to raise my car up a little. In the back that's throwing the same king springs back on (KSRS-29) and then playing any spacer game I feel like.

Unsure what to do about the front though. I have a 3/4 inch spacer. But, it's not threaded and removing it was super painful. But, I have it.

so my options are epoxy nuts into my spacers or try and guess what springs I need. From a cost standpoint I like epoxy nuts, but spacers don't really fit right with Spec.B tophats.

If anyone has any catback recomendations let me know. The seem pretty damn expensive but that's probably due to the fact that the XT has two mufflers.

The OBXT looks great!

As far as recommendations:

Turbo: VF52. It's the best daily turbo out there. Great spool characteristics, capable of more than enough power for a daily, they're very common, bolt right on, and they're pretty reliable.

Headlights: Buy the brackets from Custom Brackets and Designs to swap a Mini H1 projector into the stock USDM headlights. Or, for less money and better output, you can buy JDM pre-facelift headlights, open the projectors, flip the shields, and have the superior D2S setup. No need to change the actual projector.

Along with your catless up pipe as a reliability mod, you should remove the filters from the oil banjo bolts to prevent the VF40 from blowing up and taking your motor with it before you get a chance to change it.

Drove to Big Bear (43ft elevation at home to 8400 ft) on Friday and back on Sunday. Got 19.7 MPG which feels pretty good to me considering it was a 30mph average stop n go crawl on the freeway portion on Friday, and 75 mph with four snowboards on top on the way back. Also was able to make it round trip on one tank, which was not possible on E85 (~14 mpg ave on E85 for this round trip)

Speaking of the boards on top, I can feel them up there lifting the car. The nose is light and feels like it is wandering just a touch. Reminds me to keep the speeds below 80.

I think I want to raise my car up a little. In the back that's throwing the same king springs back on (KSRS-29) and then playing any spacer game I feel like.

Unsure what to do about the front though. I have a 3/4 inch spacer. But, it's not threaded and removing it was super painful. But, I have it.

I was looking to King springs. I was warned on reddit that the King Springs collapse over time and end up at the stock spring height. Is there any truth to this?

The OBXT looks great!

As far as recommendations:

Turbo: VF52. It's the best daily turbo out there. Great spool characteristics, capable of more than enough power for a daily, they're very common, bolt right on, and they're pretty reliable.

Headlights: Buy the brackets from Custom Brackets and Designs to swap a Mini H1 projector into the stock USDM headlights. Or, for less money and better output, you can buy JDM pre-facelift headlights, open the projectors, flip the shields, and have the superior D2S setup. No need to change the actual projector.

Along with your catless up pipe as a reliability mod, you should remove the filters from the oil banjo bolts to prevent the VF40 from blowing up and taking your motor with it before you get a chance to change it.

Thanks Somac!

OK, sounds like the VF52 is a good way to go. I have a 20G in my bugeye and it is awesome but since the wagon is more of a cruiser camping vehicle I don't think I'd go bigger than an 18g.

Thanks for the tip on the pre-facelift lights. What year would that be exactly?

And yeah, I plan on removing the banjo bolt filters as soon as I get a chance. I'm busy with work and finishing up another degree so I am busy! But would suck to block the turbo and engine. I wonder if they have been removed already, but I don't think there is any way to tell unless I get in there, right?

I only hammered it once, so mild boost mostly. In fact this was the first road trip on this 91 map and I saw a little part throttle knock, so I sent logs to my tuner for a revision.

Loaded revision and the knock seems to be gone. Tried all sorts of ways, and it seems solid.

Pulled my chains out of storage, bc I might need them this weekend. I'll totally pay to have someone install them if it comes to that. F that noise.