LegacyGT.com

Nexus 7 Tablet Install for Dummies (Guide)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be pretty self explanatory, the wire going onto the blade connector goes to my alarm, it's simply a ground when the hood is open and an open circuit with the hood closed. Typically you use a star washer (the one with sharp edges) to cut through the paint to get to bare metal to get a good ground. In my case I didn't want to mess up the paint (even though it wouldn't be visible) as it would just start to rust. So I put a ring terminal under the nut and ran that to the ground point behind the fuse/relay box.

Upload images to this site blows, ugh

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.
Going up on imgur then....

REQsMAzm.jpg

Ihb7zt3m.jpg

NNAtSlpm.jpg

Sorry for going off topic.... (If anyone has a link to DIY hood strut install, opening my hood reminded me I want to do that)

Ok, I picked up a couple of diodes, NTE 5801 - Standard recovery diode, Axial Lead, 100v, 3A, Single, 1.2V, 200A. Will those work? I figured 12v/3A would be enough?

Also, bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CE75K0W for the power supply - couple $$ more, but had better reviews than the Tobsun.

Anyway - assuming I tap a couple of wires off the clock connector (which I need to move to the ashtray location), and wire this power supply up, where do I send the output? Do I hack up a USB cable on the other end, and plug that cable into the power side of the OTG-Y cable I have? If so, which USB-cable wires need to be hooked up?

Does hooking a USB hub up to ACC power only (I'm thinking in the storage area between the seats, using the lighter already there - I already have a nice USB charger plugged in there) cause any issues? In the sense that the attached devices power up, then down, then up again? Or can I use this new "uninterrupted" power line to power the hub too? Just find one with 12v input, and tap the combined lines before the power converter?

Any issue with putting the hub in the storage bin between the front seats? It would be a very convenient location to plug/unplug things. Although it might be a little long or a run for the DAC audio cable? Is the glovebox a better location?

Thanks again for all the help. It makes things SO much easier!

Edited by hadvw
remove blank lines

One more question (for now): what's the best way to mount the table to the bezel? I have the JDM non-nav bezel that has a small gap on one side, IIRC. I was thinking of creating some kind of slot that the tablet slides into, and can be lifted out when the bezel is removed?

Alternatively, I thought of creating some kind of shallow frame (with cutouts for pins), similar to a rubber case, but made of wood maybe with a small amount of padding, and attaching that to the metal center piece that the cubby slots into? Almost like the suction-cup arm mounts, but a very shallow frame, and then the bezel pops into place in front to hold it in.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I tried to do the power supply install today, and.. UGH. Got the "zap" sound..

Looking at WI-175 (see attachment), I tapped pins 8 & 9 for IG and ACC. Then ran each of those into a diode (model mentioned above), anode side, soldered the cathodes together, tapped ground, and soldered in an old 12v car charger I had already re-wired for this purpose from another thing.

Started the car and "zap", got one of those big "something blew" zaps.

Took it all apart, car still starts, there's still 12v on the ACC circuit.. IGN circuit seems weird. Maybe I blew that fuse? Did I do something wrong? Wrong diode? Or was the charger messed up? Will go check fuses, but.. Something's off..

40 - Clock System.pdf

So, I tried to do the power supply install today, and.. UGH. Got the "zap" sound..

Looking at WI-175 (see attachment), I tapped pins 8 & 9 for IG and ACC. Then ran each of those into a diode (model mentioned above), anode side, soldered the cathodes together, tapped ground, and soldered in an old 12v car charger I had already re-wired for this purpose from another thing.

Started the car and "zap", got one of those big "something blew" zaps.

Took it all apart, car still starts, there's still 12v on the ACC circuit.. IGN circuit seems weird. Maybe I blew that fuse? Did I do something wrong? Wrong diode? Or was the charger messed up? Will go check fuses, but.. Something's off..

Everything sounds right to me. Just to confirm I guess.

(IG) Pin 8 - Green/Black ->anode---cathode -> Red wire on Dork DC-DC

(ACC) Pin 9 - Yellow/Red ->anode---cathode -> Red wire on Dork DC-DC

Ground--------------------------------------------> Black wire on Dork DC-DC

5v out to USB

Yellow wire on Dork DC-DC

Black wire on Dork DC-DC

I know most of that was pretty redundant but I don't see where anything is wrong. Try without the 12v to 5v adapter?

Yeah, that's more or less what I did. Except, instead of the Dork, I had a "brilliant" idea. I had an old cigarette-lighter charger (2.1A) that I'd already soldered up to the lighter in the ashtray 2 or 3 years ago as an experiment.. Since I also did the clock relocation, didn't need that anymore. So I cut the wires and resoldered those instead.

And a quick google seems to show that that was my goof - lighters are center-positive, whereas I just brain-dead assumed center-negative, and so I think I mis-wired the actual car charger, and blew something in there.. Doh. I was trying to do too many things, and so that's what I messed up. At least, it protected me..

Why did I try to put the car charger in there? Because I didn't have a female USB plug handy to wire up to plug into the male USB-A plug of the OTG cable.. And I didn't want to directly wire up the Dork to the OTG cable. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and have to buy a cheap extension cord or female USB-A plug.

Still have this....$400 shipped.

sorry, I'm not sure where I got 2.0 from

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...SABEgLw0_D_BwE

Its a bluetooth module for our 07+ radio...

Its the Nexus7 gen2 so the 2013+ I want to say.

The cables are to and from the unit for power with the timur kernal mod, then the usb station where you would plug in your obd2 cable etc)

This kit was put together for me by a customer, it worked great but I only drive about 5min back and forth to work now so it never gets charged.

Dave

1932046877_navsetup.jpg.4b4daf9178b5957d840f65f08b72f232.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• 2 months later...
Still have this....$400 shipped.

sorry, I'm not sure where I got 2.0 from

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...SABEgLw0_D_BwE

Its a bluetooth module for our 07+ radio...

Its the Nexus7 gen2 so the 2013+ I want to say.

The cables are to and from the unit for power with the timur kernal mod, then the usb station where you would plug in your obd2 cable etc)

This kit was put together for me by a customer, it worked great but I only drive about 5min back and forth to work now so it never gets charged.

Dave

Can you help from where I can get the 2 din pezel please

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I get quite a few random PMs on my various Nexus 7 tablet installs. I’ll be updating this post to include a well-documented easy to follow DIY install guide. Most other tablet install guides I've seen are overly complicated or are skimpy on details, however this guide will simplify the process a bit for those less technically capable ;).

Please note that this guide is currently incomplete. I will be working to populate all areas as time allows.

My Current Setup:

http://i66.tinypic.com/14t8qoz.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/mhvndw.jpg

Other Setups:

2012 1st Gen Nexus 7 built for a friend

http://i64.tinypic.com/m950tk.jpg

How can i contact you please i have alot of question

And first one

From where i can get the double din pezel modified right now

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

The double-DIN bezel you're seeing was discontinued probably around 3 years ago. When it was still available, it was JDM only and could be imported for probably 150-250 USD. Now that it's discontinued it's very rare. The part number is H0017AG915. There's another bezel with a different part number that has a larger opening (for the JDM Panasonic nav system) that is not what you want for an in-dash Nexus 7 install.

The double-DIN bezel you're seeing was discontinued probably around 3 years ago. When it was still available, it was JDM only and could be imported for probably 150-250 USD. Now that it's discontinued it's very rare. The part number is H0017AG915. There's another bezel with a different part number that has a larger opening (for the JDM Panasonic nav system) that is not what you want for an in-dash Nexus 7 install.

Thanks for your response

I just confused also what items i need to achieve this project to install nexus 7 in my legacy

For the double din bezel i will cut my original one since the JDM is too expensive and rare in the same time

For now i need your help what is the updated equipment i need to do this

As this post 3 years ago if you can help please

There really isn't updated equipment.

The latest Nexus people really have working is the Nexus 7 2013 model.

The walkthroughs for doing this are still basically accurate.

Links provided 3 years ago not opened

So i have no idea what is the items looks like even

For example let me explain more so you can help

I will use my original pezel and will cut it as the JDM one very expensive and rare ( correct me if I am wrong and where Can I find it ) please alao let me the part no and correct name so i try to search again on it

Regarding to the other items as following :

1- OTG Cable ($8.47)

Link:*https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Female-...iglink20901-20

The above is the old link that it not work anymore so I need to know what kind of OTG I will need ( please anybody send to me link for quality one that will fit in my system)

---_---------

2- 2x USB Extension Cables ($6.99 x 2 = $13.98)

Link:*https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019DZG9DY

Thia link also not working anymore (invalid)

So I dont know what exactly i need and for what usage

Is it Male- Female or male male

And why He said we need 2 of this item

Please any body can clarify this also !

-_---------

3- USB Car Charger ($7.49)

Link:*https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P060MRK

Also link not working so i need valid link and what is the specific should i got it with 2 usb output or what !

-------

4-USB DAC ($6.90)

Link:*https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MSS6CS

Thia one is working and i will but it

Please correct me for all the above and provide me with working links

And also let me know if I miss any important item to start the project then

I might have some double dins still left . Ill check, imported quite a few couple years ago.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

I was reading through this and found a lot of people using this mostly for media (bluetooth/music/video/nav) purposes with a lot involved . I have a jdm double din already in my 05 GT wagon with Bluetooth phone/music, app radio with nav etc, dvd video. All the usual goods.

So getting to the point, instead of doing a 3 gauge pod in my vent cubby, I was thinking of installing one of these just for real-time engine monitoring with btssm (or other app) and a backup cam only.

Can anyone give me some tips of what I’d need for this? Obviously a backup cam kit with wiring etc. What type of OBD2 cable would I need (at the tablet end) for btssm? Is this hardwired from the OBD2 plug to the tablet thru USB on the tablet end or something else? I’d personally like to be able to hardwire it from my OBD2 to the tablet if that’s possible so no WiFi/Bluetooth etc is needed and I can just run the app with gauges of choice displayed. Can this be done?

Keep in mind I’m a bit technologically challenged wen it comes to stuff like this. Answers and any other input would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Wooosh

I used to use the N7 in my LGT for logging and real-time gauges with BtSsm.

Things I used in my install:

• Nexus 7 2013 Tablet
  • 4-port USB hub
  • Tactrix OpenPort 2 (I also opensource tune my car, so I already had it)
  • RS232-USB serial converter for my wideband O2 (could also just get it from ECU but wanted the digital connection offered by my Innovate LC-1 and BtSsm)

Besides that, the install is the same as all of your other media nexus7 installs (modified kernel to allow USB-OTG charging, and a USB-OTG charge/data y-cable).

Shameless plug: I'm selling the JDM double-DIN vent/nav bezel from my LGT since it's been sitting for over a year now.

Edited by solidxsnake

I used to use the N7 in my LGT for logging and real-time gauges with BtSsm.

Things I used in my install:

• Nexus 7 2013 Tablet
  • 4-port USB hub
  • Tactrix OpenPort 2 (I also opensource tune my car, so I already had it)
  • RS232-USB serial converter for my wideband O2 (could also just get it from ECU but wanted the digital connection offered by my Innovate LC-1 and BtSsm)

Besides that, the install is the same as all of your other media nexus7 installs (modified kernel to allow USB-OTG charging, and a USB-OTG charge/data y-cable).

Shameless plug: I'm selling the JDM double-DIN vent/nav bezel from my LGT since it's been sitting for over a year now.

Cool. Thanks. If you don’t mind me asking why did u take urs out? Is there flaws with these tablets that make em not so good a choice? Think I’m better off going with gauges?