LegacyGT.com

Annoying abs issue

I've noticed this issue/flaw that I think is related to the abs module and was curious if anyone has experienced it or knows the fix to this.

Basically when youre braking at higher speed, not stomping the brake but getting on it, while getting off the freeway for example and hit a decent bump while braking. In my car the pedal goes soft like if abs briefly kicked in. The issue is that the pedal stays soft. At first it would stay soft then return to normal after stopping the car and turning it off then on again. But it's at the point where the pedal is now always soft. The brakes work fine and abs works still but the pedal remains soft.

Since this issue happened I had the Subaru dealer flush the brake fluid so there should be no air in the system or contaminated fluid but the issue remains.

I read on some other car forums people experiencing this and they said intentionally activating abs on a dirt road a few time can fix this but that didn't work either.

From what I've researched it sounds like a stick opened valve or something in the abs module. I was curious if anyone experienced this? and also how hard it is to replace a abs module like if there is any vin mismatch issues

Edited by brokentv

I've noticed this issue/flaw that I think is related to the abs module and was curious if anyone has experienced it or knows the fix to this.

Basically when youre braking at higher speed, not stomping the brake but getting on it, while getting off the freeway for example and hit a decent bump while braking. In my car the pedal goes soft like if abs briefly kicked in. The issue is that the pedal stays soft. At first it would stay soft then return to normal after stopping the car and turning it off then on again. But it's at the point where the pedal is now always soft. The brakes work fine and abs works still but the pedal remains soft.

Since this issue happened I had the Subaru dealer flush the brake fluid so there should be no air in the system or contaminated fluid but the issue remains.

I read on some other car forums people experiencing this and they said intentionally activating abs on a dirt road a few time can fix this but that didn't work either.

From what I've researched it sounds like a stick opened valve or something in the abs module. I was curious if anyone experienced this? and also how hard it is to replace a abs module like if there is any vin mismatch issues

If this is a problem with the car in your profile you should have this moved to appropriate generation of legacy, they can help you more than we can. I can't recall this being an issue on our cars (2010-2014) but the abs parts are substantially newer than 1997.

It's actually a 2013 legacy 2.5 sedan with cvt. I forgot to update my profile

Maybe another member can chime in then, I don't recall the ABS system being an issue with pedal feel. But it is certainly possible. I do think there is some kind of cycling program the dealer can do with the Subaru Select Monitor to verify the abs pump is working correctly and or to purge any air or contaminated fluid. It may go beyond a typical fluid change, so you might inquire as to whether it was performed or not when you had it serviced.

I've attached the FSM pdf for diagnostic from my 2010 fsm. Maybe it will help lead you from here but the ABS module isn't mentioned as a possibility for excessive pedal travel.

Brake diagnostic.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
I was really hoping someone had a solution for this already. I have a 2011 lgt with the same issue and I used to be able to turn car off and it went back to normal but then I took it to local Subaru and they said they couldn't find anything and might be glazed rotors which made no sense to me with the symptoms and now it is soft with little breaking power all the time instead of being intermittent issue.

I have a similiar "issue" if you want to call it that. If I come to a complete stop quickly while not bashing the brake pedal, I feel a little vibration in the front of my car. It feels like ABS slightly kicking on... I mean it doesn't bother me to be honest. I wonder what could also be causing this to happen.

Is there a flashing ABS light when braking? Or traction control light flashing during driving? I was thinking it could be a broken or failing wheel speed sensor. Barring that I would consider having the brake booster tested along with the master cylinder.

Is there a flashing ABS light when braking? Or traction control light flashing during driving? I was thinking it could be a broken or failing wheel speed sensor. Barring that I would consider having the brake booster tested along with the master cylinder.

Are you asking me or BrokenTV? I personally haven't seen any lights flash at all while driving. Not a big deal for me personally. BrokenTV's issue sounds a bit more severe than mine.

2 things I would do:

1. free sliding caliper pins, if they do not slide, replace the brackets. They are $50 or so each

2. I would do a brake bleed on each wheel until you get fresh fluid out of each one. have an assistant add fluid as you bleed each wheel. I used a hand vacuum pump on each caliper.

I had Subaru do my brake service and I had the soft spongy pedal on my 14 so I re-bled the system and voilla, no more issue... I will never use them again for service

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai