LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Sitting at the dealer buying the wife a ‘20 Ascent as I write this. OTD is going to be $4k under sticker before trade for a red Premium. 4:45 on a Saturday afternoon in NoVa and every sales person is engaged and moving vehicles. Our sales person is doing our deal and one other at the same time. I have no idea why they feel the need to deal given the amount of inventory they’re apparently moving, but they are. Not complaining a bit.

Well, Hazard Fraught (Harbor Freight) lived up to it's name yesterday - had a heat gun burn out. It was weird - at first it stopped heating and the fan motor went really fast, so I turned it off - then turned it back on again - it went really fast, then I was treated to an impressive spark show in the back of the unit, so I turned it off... I was just doing some heat shrink, so didn't even have it on much! I've had the thing for a 3-4 years, but don't use it much. Debating getting something better, or just picking up another cheapie...

Well, Hazard Fraught (Harbor Freight) lived up to it's name yesterday - had a heat gun burn out. It was weird - at first it stopped heating and the fan motor went really fast, so I turned it off - then turned it back on again - it went really fast, then I was treated to an impressive spark show in the back of the unit, so I turned it off... I was just doing some heat shrink, so didn't even have it on much! I've had the thing for a 3-4 years, but don't use it much. Debating getting something better, or just picking up another cheapie...

Mine did that, it turned out to be a fairly easy repair of the heating element.

Falcor, that one doesn't temp me. I think those wheels look hideous on it

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I feel like it's near sacrilege to say in the Subaru community, but I absolutely HATE how Method wheels look (and the Sparco's that look similar to them as well, or any other wheels that resemble this style). I think they're ugly as sin wheels to begin with, and they seem to just be the easy-first-stop for someone that wants to make their car look "offroad-y" without doing much else to the car.

The newer ones are much better. We have had the old orange ones fail right out of the box. I feel HF is kind of like Kia/Hyundai. They started out with cheap and cheaply made products, but have slowly gotten better.

Mine did that, it turned out to be a fairly easy repair of the heating element.

Out of morbid curiousity, I tore mine down - no easy fix here - the armature is pretty much destroyed (one of the contacts broke off, the other melted, and a bunch of wires broke off - the contact portion (where the brushes contact it) is charred/fried!

The newer ones are much better. We have had the old orange ones fail right out of the box. I feel HF is kind of like Kia/Hyundai. They started out with cheap and cheaply made products, but have slowly gotten better.

This is one of the Drillmaster black bodied 2-speed/temperature units - the ones that they sell on sale for like $10 - this guy

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-5721112-63104.html

maybe I'll "step up" to their Bauer or Chicago Electric brand ones... (they are more like $30...)

Capture3.thumb.JPG.a8761b6c4952090ee7ef5f466179c88f.JPG

I got sucker in working on a sending unit on a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (It suppose to be my relax day). My god dropping the fuel tank with half full of gas (holds total of 22.5 gallon) was a nightmare. I even used a transmission Jack with a ply wood attach to support the tank. Edited by amusa

Those do have some big tanks. With the 15mpg our Unlimited Rubicon got, it burns through it quick also.

I had a 1988 Grand Wagoneer with a swapped in 401 on 33's and a 30 gallon tank. Now that was big, and got like 11mpg.

Those do have some big tanks. With the 15mpg our Unlimited Rubicon got, it burns through it quick also.

I had a 1988 Grand Wagoneer with a swapped in 401 on 33's and a 30 gallon tank. Now that was big, and got like 11mpg.

I have dropped a bunch of older Acura/Honda tanks and 1920-1979 American Detroit muscles before. This one in this Jeep sits vertical on the passenger side held with 8 bolts and the rear lower arm bolt was in the way. If Jeep was smart they should of notch the tank a bit to clear that lower control bolt.

Edited by amusa

That sounds like a good price... very unusual to say the least.

$13k is what I think I could currently sell my 2012 LGT as a private party sale. I don't know the details of the trade in, but the dealer may not negotiate off of MSRP which would bring it close the current $10K trade in value. My next Subaru, I think is going to Outback XT, but I am few years away from making that purchase. I am happy with my Subarus and how they are running (excluding my project).

I started working on the timing belt on my girlfriend's Toyota Highlander yesterday. It is my last mechanic project I need to do to clear out my mechanic work queue, so I can work on the 2011 LGT.

The car has 185k miles, so it due for its 2nd timing belt (every 90k miles) I know it had a timing belt done at 91k miles, but I wasn't sure if it was full timing components/waterpump so I didn't want to risk it. I have done a timing belt on a Toyota Highlander before so I thought I knew what to expect. The good news is clearly had a full timing belt & appears to have used all original Toyota parts. The nightmare is that the mechanic who did the work appears to be in love with an impact to tighten the bolts. I have broken three bolts including one of the tensioners and a few over stretch bolts. It absolutely ridiculous that the idlers pulleys were on so tight that I had to use an impact and even that struggled. (I have a good impact and air compressor) The idler pulley should not be torqued to 250+ft-lbs. The upper motor mount I couldn't even get off with an impact and I had to use my break bar with a 4' extension to break them free. The threads are on are total screwed over. Today, my plan is to drop the motor down do I can drill out the tensioner bolt in the block. I am half tempted when I goto the dealership on Monday to get bolts and parts to see if a Toyota dealership did the timing belt service. If they did, put in a complaint.

After 2.5-3hrs finally got the 1986 GTS-S Corolla (AE86) fired up (Jump the battery and whacking the alternator) after sitting for 5 years maybe more. Put air in all (4) tires and got it to the shop so we (shop crew) can plan/start the restoration.

I reached out the poster who did the 4th Gen Legacy production numbers and asked him about doing the 2011 GT color breakdown and the 2012 Legacy GT US color breakdown (currently it is done with the both US and CA) He responded saying that he will try get to looking them up in the next few days. This would be awesome to get this information. fingers crossed