LegacyGT.com

Driveshaft blew up

artmor79

on highway taking with it the console shifter and center diff housing cover, I have looked around and found a few 5eats but what i was wondering was if I could just swap out the tail housing only?

I do not have the place to do a full trans swap as i just moved into a new apartment complex and have been working on it in my garage unit quietly. i have been able to manage taking some all the broken parts off, but after i did this i found the tail housing cover broken all the way around.

I found the part number online (31331AA1909L) so seems that i can buy that and just swap the internal parts from the broken one to the new/replacement one.

https://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/p/Subaru_2005_Legacy-25L-TURBO-5AT-4WD-GT-Limited-Wagon/CASE-COMPLETE-EXTENSION/49501618/31331AA1909L.html

i assume that the housing from a 4at is way different than that of the 5eat?

IMG_1240.thumb.jpg.bca5b4b43322442f097e0c9a0ba8a181.jpg

IMG_1246.thumb.jpg.e090d576cb9ddb1d9db28bc6ab6b636d.jpg

IMG_1245.thumb.jpg.f878cc32e2b6f4323f5225547dc1e7fe.jpg

Edited by artmor79

• 2 weeks later...

still in the process of getting everything sourced so that i can start the swap, I have all but the actual housing unit, i plan on getting that this week sometime but the weather has not been playing nice.

it was super loud! the shifter exploded up to the ceiling and smoke started filling up the cabin and outside the car instantly. i was going around 70 when it happened and guessing thats why so much carnage happened.

once i get all the parts in i plan on taking pics in case it helps someone else that has as much bad luck i do.

Any idea what caused it?

I saw an armada that snapped the drive shaft at the needle bearing. Claim was dude hit a pothole at highway speed but the hole in the floor plan indicated he was lucky to still have a foot. Shaft spun around and did enough damage to total the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any idea what caused it?

I saw an armada that snapped the drive shaft at the needle bearing. Claim was dude hit a pothole at highway speed but the hole in the floor plan indicated he was lucky to still have a foot. Shaft spun around and did enough damage to total the vehicle.

definitely a U-Joint bearing failure.

I think you can do a simple check by removing the driveshaft: 6 bolts, a bit of patience and you can slide it out and check the ujoints. They should move freely. Excessive 'notchiness' is no good.

I actually replaced the bearings on one of our cars a few months back.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5901263&postcount=29

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5902493&postcount=32

I'm mildly terrified of this happening. I hear about noise coming from the drive shafts on occasion.

Did you have any warning? I've thought about preemptive replacing of the drive shaft but I'm not rich.

Next time your under the car, grab the shaft near the ends and try to move it around. When my carrier bearing went, I could feel the vibration in the my right elbow as it rested on the center console. When I grabbed the shaft near the bearing I could feel play.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

there was some warning signs but i really didnt think the driveshaft was the issues, when i turned corners on random i would feel some sort of vibration almost as it a motor/tranny mount was loose and banging around. i would feel this from time to time but i guess the whole time it was the u-joint freezing up, finally gave out on this trip.

the worst part is i was in the middle of moving from KS to WI and was going to get it looked at as soon as i arrived to WI but i never made it that far.

had to rent a U-haul and tow it the last three hours on the trailer.

the engine has a complete rebuilt on it with less than 1000 miles on it so thats why im trying to get it fixed, i sourced a used tranny in Chicago and had planned to just use the tail housing, but now that i'm reading not sure if i can gamble the housing or getting caught in the garage and possible eviction.

damn bad luck!

unsure what to do now...

IMG_7611.thumb.JPG.9f55594edb9e7d542d5056ebcdeae4e2.JPG

IMG_7845.thumb.JPG.31224efb950cc008b21f0cbbe2359aff.JPG

IMG_7848.thumb.JPG.973d9b44541ccee301c83d3e157a1082.JPG

IMG_1822.thumb.JPG.e0e8fb1485baeec6e60dc3ed1a94f239.JPG

IMG_1678.thumb.JPG.07a82f394af81b0418b40b459bf47cba.JPG

IMG_1716.thumb.JPG.2ddf06357931422e60cf93c8b7dbd17a.JPG

IMG_7715.thumb.JPG.6eeec3a32606fa7c8c5c79986f534324.JPG

Wow that sucks. I bought my xt in NC and was driving it home to UT when the engine developed really bad rod knock in Topeka. I did not enjoy my 3 days there and the greyhound home.

Why not just swap the whole trans? Wouldn't that be easier and quicker than trying to pull it apart and put things places?

I see. Man that sucks. And you went all out to actually rebuild the SB instead of 'just' getting a new one?

if i ever get another shot at it, i will def get an IAG or something like that to to replace the block. this rebuild has no issues and it runs beautiful and super strong. I still have not gotten it tuned along with a bunch of other stuff that should of happened by now, long story i gave this car to my 17 year old son. i just need to get it running again so that he can enjoy it.

Wow that sucks. I bought my xt in NC and was driving it home to UT when the engine developed really bad rod knock in Topeka. I did not enjoy my 3 days there and the greyhound home.

Why not just swap the whole trans? Wouldn't that be easier and quicker than trying to pull it apart and put things places?

yea topeka is pure junk!

i will need to see what is all involved with the swapping, scared of the damn cv shafts, i have not impact of any kind, if i can get away with it i may just go that route. just trying to not make so much noise in the garage unit i have. i have that rear housing off now and was pretty easy so not really sure what i'll do at this moment.

I pulled the trans from a 2012 outback recently. We just pried them out with a short crow bar. Marked the camber bolts with a paint pin and pulled those and left the axle on the hub. When we put it back together (myself and my dad which helped a lot) we just lined up the splines and pushed it in by hand. Used the articulation from the missing camber bolt and knocked it in by basically just tilting the rotor to positive camber and smacking it good.

It wasn't too crazy loud or difficult. Way easier than I expected. Driveline also came off easily. I mean it took the two of us all weekend on and off on it so I'm not sure.

I understand not having a space. My lady friends landlord is out of town for the weekend and I live in an apartment so I'll be taking over her driveway to do rear hub bearings while he's gone.

I pulled the trans from a 2012 outback recently. We just pried them out with a short crow bar. Marked the camber bolts with a paint pin and pulled those and left the axle on the hub. When we put it back together (myself and my dad which helped a lot) we just lined up the splines and pushed it in by hand. Used the articulation from the missing camber bolt and knocked it in by basically just tilting the rotor to positive camber and smacking it good.

It wasn't too crazy loud or difficult. Way easier than I expected. Driveline also came off easily. I mean it took the two of us all weekend on and off on it so I'm not sure.

I understand not having a space. My lady friends landlord is out of town for the weekend and I live in an apartment so I'll be taking over her driveway to do rear hub bearings while he's gone.

I pretty much do all my work solo, I'm going to see what my car looks like to remove the whole tranny...

I pretty much do all my work solo, I'm going to see what my car looks like to remove the whole tranny...

Yea I get that. It just happened to be a friend from sc whose throwout bearing seized on the way to Florida to visit me while I was at my parents.

For pulling the whole thing, I was very very happy we bought a transmission jack. It can definitely be done. Covertrussian has some posts in his build thread about it for a clutch change.

I hope your son is helping you in the process!!

growing up i loved helping my brother out working on cars, he was a shade tree mechanic and thats how he made money, I learned to work on all sorts of cars and an super grateful. my son is total opposite and its like pulling teeth to get him to help, but now thats its his car he had been more interested for sure.

going to make him help, even if its just him sitting handing tools and talking!!

growing up i loved helping my brother out working on cars, he was a shade tree mechanic and thats how he made money, I learned to work on all sorts of cars and an super grateful. my son is total opposite and its like pulling teeth to get him to help, but now thats its his car he had been more interested for sure.

going to make him help, even if its just him sitting handing tools and talking!!

Simply not having to crawl out from under the car again because I forgot a socket is amazingly helpful.

Get the whole car up about 24" if you have the Harbor fright tranny jack. There is a spot between the front LCA and engine to wheel the tranny and jack under the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here