LegacyGT.com

Paint problems

I got what I thought was pine tar on my Legacy during a vacation in Wisconsin. However multiple attempts to remove it have failed.

Really sucks, it happened one month after I've bought the car and I've always hoped to be able to have a nice car I could wax and take care of. Always looks like hell with these white spots all over it. Metallic black in color too.

This pine tar has totally resisted everything I've thrown at it. It basically became one with the clear coat and blistered and is one spot where it was the thinnest and any treatment might be more effective. It's now been more than 6 months.

Supposedly isopropyl alcohol soaking and gentle buffing/a little fingernail action takes it off. Well it does. And the paint too. The tar essentially destroyed the clear coat and base coat everywhere it hit.

I've tried everything from cleaner wax to bug and tar remover to Goo gone to multiple coats of wax. The car had a perfect wax job just before getting the tar on it.

Looking like I have to shell out for a respray now.

Edited by Tr00b
Attachments didn't work

Most likely it was burned in through the clear coat. Complain to SOA and they will determine if they can help you. They paid to have my hood, roof and trunk lid repainted on my 2016 I had before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried Wd40... and re-tried it on a spot on a door that I hadn't noticed before. It removes the pine tar just fine but leaves the clear coat all blistery and distorted looking where the tar was. Regardless of what takes it off the damage is done. I wish I had left it alone because the dealership isn't going to warranty a fingenail scratch all the way to the primer... They might warranty the blistery crap.

It's not so much the tar but the damage to the clear underneath the tar. I thought it was still tar and kept going after it, just thinking that it was super hard pine tar. It was distorted clear coat. I could about puke thinking about it. In reality the tar came right off no problem. I've been hammering on my clear coat with polishes and chemicals... Anyway the second picture is where paint actually came off.

Better than stuffing grocery bags in rust holes so the heater could catch up, I guess (which was the reality with my last car) but still makes me about want to puke.

I wouldn't expect a dealer to warranty it but it just seems flimsy to me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F5qPpkCOPHIyvass1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6h2Vs3yazbGT5ct23

This is really bad after seeing those photos. The best thing to do is to respray it at a body shop or if you feel comfy try to wet sand, clearcoat and polish it yourself. If you live in a climate where rust is bad then get it done sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check with a auto body place to see what they say. That looks like that tree sap was left in for a little bit of time and it baked on. Bird crap left to bake by the sun does the same thing.
---

Sorry to hear and see above.

Sadly, Subaru and most other manufacturer's paint is terrible nowadays. Water based thin layer bs.

Subaru is fairly high up toward the top of the worst paint quality list (been there for maybe 13-18 years), only 'beaten' out by say Tesla and Porsche.

If you want a pristine paint job then either 'invest' in a museum showpiece or full mechanical paint correction followed by CQuartz Finest Reserve + full clear wrap at taking delivery (don't even let the dealer remove the protective shipping film all over the various body panels). The question is why on an econobox or any DD car?

I use the highest percent rubbing alcohol for pine sap. You have to rub easily or leave some on there for a bit and make sure the towel/applicator is soaked good. The harder you rub the more chances for scratches especially on a dark color car. The sap and bird shite will "lift" the clear if left on there too long or in the sun baking and leave the residue outline.

Beerguy, Well, its lifted... Now what? Going to go to the dealer body shop and see what they say.

I'm fairly proficient with sanding and polishing but EVERY attempt at home body work has been straight out of a horror movie.

If the touch up paint from the dealer is a perfect match, you can fix this to be almost not noticeable. You just keep adding layer after layer to fill in the chip. Once it is filled a little past the void, you can wet sand it down smooth to the finish and buff it out. I had to do this to mine, unfortunately the oem pearl white is not an exact match to mine. Edited by FAILBOT

I would wet sand it if you know how to do it properly, and fill in whatever void you may have with the dealership touch up paint. Just like Failbot said. It will probably need some buffing and then a nice coat of wax. Otherwise go to a reputable body shop and have them do it. They are going to have to paint a much larger area to get it to blend properly though.

I'm going to try to get into the body shop at the dealership and see what they say...

I have a place for a paint booth in my garage so I could try it myself, And I'm thinking about restoring my truck anyway.

The one spot on the trunk lid is the only place that the touch up paint might help. The rest is blistered up and just looks bad. Looks like runs in the paint or someone dropped clear nail polish on it.

Did not ask any questions, took the pictures and they submitted for warranty approval by Subaru. I already know the service manager hates my guts from a little incident where he was having a bad day, so hopefully he submits it in an impartial way (or at least, submits it at all) Said it would take a week to get a response.

The body shop manager said, and I quote:

Paint just doesn't hold up anymore like it used to.

Did not ask any questions, took the pictures and they submitted for warranty approval by Subaru. I already know the service manager hates my guts from a little incident where he was having a bad day, so hopefully he submits it in an impartial way (or at least, submits it at all) Said it would take a week to get a response.

That's because it is all WATER-based now versus the past due to Federal laws. That's why you can't buy oil-based paint anymore in the stores.

A rep from SOA had to come to my dealership to look at my older car and they ended up approving it to get resprayed even though the service manager didn't want to do it. I saw the final bill and it came to about $6300 to get resprayed.

A rep from SOA had to come to my dealership to look at my older car and they ended up approving it to get resprayed even though the service manager didn't want to do it. I saw the final bill and it came to about $6300 to get resprayed.

I would have pressed for another $1-$2K in depreciation based on the fact it had to be "resprayed". That's never a good thing and never as "good" as a factory paint job IMPO but, in this thread, I'm sure folks will argue the point:)

MrCobbs:

What exactly happened to your paint? Same deal? and how long did it take to get it resolved?

Securityguy:

What do you mean by "push for the depreciation"?

No response yet...

Securityguy: What do you mean by "push for the depreciation"?

Whenever something major is done to a car like repainting it, it can have a negative effect on the value of the vehicle at trade or retail sale. Depending upon who does it, it could even show up on a CarFax report. Either way, it will effect the value of the vehicle.

• 2 months later...

So I waited for a good while then checked on my claim when I got an oil filter for my next change. They never submitted the claim. Service manager still had pics on phone. He claimed to resubmit. Called a week later and said Subaru rejected the claim. Really a bummer. No idea if said service manager really followed through with the claim. They said that the damage was from an outside influence and not thier fault. In a sense it is, their awful paint is.

Essentially the car has paint flaws that are going to severely detract from the value. I had nuggety ass junk for 10 years that wasn't worth detailing. Now I spent 20 grand for more nuggety ass junk not worth detailing.

Sweet.