LegacyGT.com

Spark Plug Install Instructions

Seriously doubt this...

Also 07+'s tend to not benefit much from stg 1 tuning due to their higher stock boost levels compared to the 05-06's.

They're higher stock? My mistake.. I do recall someone testing OEM up vs. non-catted up on an '05, IIRC, and getting around 15 hp/lb-ft.. I figured at OEM diameter, maybe good for 10..

But, if they're already boosting more, then less of a benefit there - although it's probably WHY they can boost moer.. But, it is generally one less part to replace to go stage 2, I would think. And the hardest one at that.

I did the DP myself, and it took 3-4 hours (my first time doing anything with a Subaru - not that I'm super fast usually or anything).. Way too tired at that point to even consider tackling the UP..

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're higher stock? My mistake.. I do recall someone testing OEM up vs. non-catted up on an '05, IIRC, and getting around 15 hp/lb-ft.. I figured at OEM diameter, maybe good for 10..

But, if they're already boosting more, then less of a benefit there - although it's probably WHY they can boost moer.. But, it is generally one less part to replace to go stage 2, I would think. And the hardest one at that.

I did the DP myself, and it took 3-4 hours (my first time doing anything with a Subaru - not that I'm super fast usually or anything).. Way too tired at that point to even consider tackling the UP..

The 07+ roms target slightly more boost up top yet the same peak psi(13.5) however they went to a smaller restrictor pill on the BCS which in turn will generate more boost. I would say the catless UP would have an effect on the torque output and spool more than peak HP numbers. Also with a turbo the size of ours I would think a larger diameter UP would be a negative more than positive. The greatest benefit I see is the ability to just slap on a DP and be stg 2.

Ugh just finished doing mine. Old plugs with 52k looked good as far as I can tell. My biggest problem was the plug socket became really stuck on the newly installed plug on the passenger side rear. I spent 25 minutes with trying to get the socket off the plug. My other major problem is that I did not any appopriate 2" extension and had to use a universal where a 2" extension would have been MUCH easier to work with for plug removal and install. I think a 2" extension is key.

It took me 3 hours including battery and intake removal and reinstall. Started engine and took it for a drive. No detectable difference from before, which is a good thing, I suppose. I put in the NGK 6619's (LFR6AIX-11).

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Ugh just finished doing mine. Old plugs with 52k looked good as far as I can tell. My biggest problem was the plug socket became really stuck on the newly installed plug on the passenger side rear. I spent 25 minutes with trying to get the socket off the plug. My other major problem is that I did not any appopriate 2" extension and had to use a universal where a 2" extension would have been MUCH easier to work with for plug removal and install. I think a 2" extension is key.

2" wobble extension was VERY useful for hand tightening, etc. Then regular 2" extension for final tightening and removing socket from plug. I also used vice grips at times to turn the extension when there wasn't quite enough room for the ratchet to fit onto the end of the socket. Vice grips rock!

• 2 weeks later...
Any of you that have done your plugs have you used a torque wrench and if so what is the torque specification on spark plugs? I think it should be somewhere from 15 to 19ft pounds? Edited by DAFTEK

That doesn't look too bad, actually. More deposits than mine had ... but other than that...

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/faq/faqread2.asp

IMHO, no need (or way) to torque the plugs while the engine is in the car. I always just go hand tight with a 3/8" ratchet.

Edited by mccorry

:D

I have the thank the OP for this great how-to that made my first 05XT tuneup so much easier :)

Just finished doing mine, 28k miles replaced with Pulstar's. The hardest part was removing and getting the coil packs back on especially the rear ones.

Removing the intake and battery made it so easy. I also removed one of the small plastic clips "there are two, one on each side" that holds that piece of plastic on the side of the chassis right in front of the packs and slide it down, this made it easier to wiglet the packs back on

Well i took the car out for a drive and noticed at the stop light the car started shaking, like hiccups, misfire? In does it in drive or park once it gets warm. I gaped the plugs to what the old plugs wore, about .25 but now im thinking i might have done them .25 tight where the stocks wore kinda like .25 looser. Can that be?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

any question to revive a great older thread.

Can data logging detect anything to determine that plugs need to be changed?

has anyone datalogged thier car before and after and been able to see any significant changes in parameters such as ignition timing?

:D

I have the thank the OP for this great how-to that made my first 05XT tuneup so much easier :)

Just finished doing mine, 28k miles replaced with Pulstar's. The hardest part was removing and getting the coil packs back on especially the rear ones.

Removing the intake and battery made it so easy. I also removed one of the small plastic clips "there are two, one on each side" that holds that piece of plastic on the side of the chassis right in front of the packs and slide it down, this made it easier to wiglet the packs back on

I just ordered a set of pulstar plugs for my 05 GT. Are you still having trouble with the idle?

Took me just under two hours... of course a good portion of that was cleaning up the coroded battery/terminals. Never had a car do that to such a degree.

sleeper, I'd be careful with those plugs. The Evo guys had less than stelar results, and I think IRC that one member had a plug come a part on him and cause damage. Might want to go over there and see what the issue was before you install those.

Took me just under two hours... of course a good portion of that was cleaning up the coroded battery/terminals. Never had a car do that to such a degree.

sleeper, I'd be careful with those plugs. The Evo guys had less than stelar results, and I think IRC that one member had a plug come a part on him and cause damage. Might want to go over there and see what the issue was before you install those.

What do you mean by less than stellar results?

Not the original posters results as that's a different story. However, people post of losing hp here and there in the body of the thread. There are other threads in other forums for different cars. It seems the only repeated positive results came from either people selling them, or people who were being fed advertising money.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=345851

What would happen if platinum plugs were installed instead of iridium? I just had my 60,000 mile work done at a local mechanic who seems very competent and is into Subaru's and I'm pretty sure he said he installed double platinum. Also, what effect do spark plugs have on fuel efficiency? Edited by J33DMB

• 3 months later...
The turbo motor requires Iridium, I just made the change over last weekend, it was a pain in the a**, we went in from the bottom, much easier, no need to remove battery or intake.

Really, easier from the bottom? Yes, it was pretty annoying, but I think I got it done in 2-3 hours. Hardest part was getting the connectors actually back over the plugs (for the back two connectors)..

...it was a pain in the a**, we went in from the bottom, much easier, no need to remove battery or intake.

^ Interesting idea!

I'll give this a try the next time around!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family