LegacyGT.com

What are yall doin about the standard maintenance intervals?

Just curious as to hear what you guys are doing when you have low mileage and you are told you have to service by "whichever comes first."

mysubar.com, subaru, and the car all like to remind me the 24m/24,000 mile service is due for example. i have 5500 miles on my car. i work from home. hell i dont think most people during the pandemic drove 12K a year anyways. subaru says ever 6 months you MUST change the oil (or you will be shot). Dealer says "don't go by that no one cares" and doesn't know what a 24 month service entails despite giving a print out from subaru.

I change the oil every 10k km and filters when needed. The recommended 2nd service at 20k km would have been $500 at the dealer. They can screw themselves, not paying for stuff that doesn't need done like "lubricating of the slider pins" at 20k km, yeah right.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I change the oil every 10k km and filters when needed. The recommended 2nd service at 20k km would have been $500 at the dealer. They can screw themselves, not paying for stuff that doesn't need done like "lubricating of the slider pins" at 20k km, yeah right.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

And then when your brake pads wear unevenly from your slider pins being seized you'll wish you had.

Near every one should follow the severe maintenance schedule. look at what the manual describes as 'normal' driving, and tell me you do that.

Edit: at '12 months 24k' they are going to change your oil, rotate your tires, and replace your cabin filter. if your car is only at 5500, do a 6k service which is just oil and rotation. I would do what ever they say you need to do to keep your warranty valid.

Just curious as to hear what you guys are doing when you have low mileage and you are told you have to service by "whichever comes first."

mysubar.com, subaru, and the car all like to remind me the 24m/24,000 mile service is due for example. i have 5500 miles on my car. i work from home. hell i dont think most people during the pandemic drove 12K a year anyways. subaru says ever 6 months you MUST change the oil (or you will be shot). Dealer says "don't go by that no one cares" and doesn't know what a 24 month service entails despite giving a print out from subaru.

If I drive fewer miles than the service calls for I default to the time. And vice versa. Or to say it another way, "whichever comes first". It really is that simple.

• 1 month later...

What I got from my salesman (purchased 3 cars over the years from him) was that the mileage is straight forward. But the months are from date purchased (in service date). So it would be 18k miles or 18 months in service, etc.

Now that I have the free 2 years mx completed, I plan to do everything myself. Except oil changes only because I purchased an extended warranty. So the dealership will do the oil changes (first 5 years) and I will do the rest of the items. I order the gaskets online and pick them up at the local dealership. I plan to do the CVT every 30-35k (drain and fill). Already bought the 5gal bucket of CVT fluid (CVTF-III color blue)($$$).

I will be going by month especially oil changes. I barely drive 5000 miles a year so that means my first oil change will be around 2500 miles on my 2022. But for it being a direct injected 2.4 and turbo build soot, changing the oil based off 6 months of driving is cheap insurance for me rather than hitting 6000 miles in a year+ time.

about 400 miles a month, good lord... why even have one? But then who am I to talk? I put about 12 miles a day on my car, so it works out about the same. I'm not walking those three miles to work!

about 400 miles a month, good lord... why even have one? But then who am I to talk? I put about 12 miles a day on my car, so it works out about the same. I'm not walking those three miles to work!

My new 2002 Toyota Tacoma at 18 years of ownership that had 135k miles on it when I sold it in 2020. My new 2020 Hyundai Tucson had 9.4k miles when I traded it into Subaru towards my new Legacy back in March 2022.

Default to which ever comes first really. Oil's lubrication properties will break down overtime even if you don't drive the car much.

I change my oil every 2500-3000 miles and have had no issues. 194k miles on the original engine

Default to which ever comes first really. Oil's lubrication properties will break down overtime even if you don't drive the car much.

I change my oil every 2500-3000 miles and have had no issues. 194k miles on the original engine

That is factually untrue according to my last oil analysis from blackstone labratories who if you dont know about them they do millions of oil analyses. I was actually happy to see on my last UOA they said don't go by date.

That is factually untrue according to my last oil analysis from blackstone labratories who if you dont know about them they do millions of oil analyses. I was actually happy to see on my last UOA they said don't go by date.

What’s factually untrue?

Unburnt gas that finds its way back into the oil is what can cause the oil to break down. I’m not saying that the oil is going to rapidly break down immediately after the time interval is passed. There is a reason that oil mileage and date is listed for oil changes. However the additives in synthetic oils do last much longer now but why not change the oil anyway for peace of mind?

I have been using blackstone for a while now and they always give me solid feedback on my oil analysis. Also I’ve never had the time pass before the miles have.

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm retired, the pandemic, etc and very little km on my garaged Legacy. I change the oil/filter once a year and look over the engine/cabin filters and other visual maintenance items. I check/lubricate the brakes when I do the seasonal tire changeover. I don't care much for the mileage nor for Subaru calls that I go visit them twice a year or whatever.