LegacyGT.com

Xforce cat back cabin noise?

CBRRICH

My 05 stock pipes and mufflers are disintegrating so I have to get a new cat back system. The resonator was removed (rusted out) and that made it a bit louder but totally fine.

A stock system is going to be~$900 but the Xforce caught my eye due to price ($500). I'm sure it will be louder but my biggest concern is highway drone. Drone can be affected by other modifications (downpipes and cats for instance).

Anyone installed the Xforce catback on a stock (no change to turbo, downpipe or cats) GT wagon (or GT sedan) and how was the cabin noise in general and in particular drone at highway speeds?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 months later...

I just had my shop install an X-Force catback on my 2005 Legacy Wagon (Cobb catted downpipe) yesterday. Drove it first time today. I have little experience with anything other my stock, sitting in a friends loud ass WRX, and hearing other people's exhaust. Which got me here in the first place, that I wanted a Subie rumble from my exhaust

Starting it with the window down, it is definitely louder than stock.  I do like the deep, low tone, rumbly.  For the price, the sound is very nice and seems along the Borla sound and not as raspy as others.    

Based on my understanding, I would say it does drone.  Driving around town in the 2800-3300 RPM it does vibrate the air in the cabin. Highway the sound is definitely there. I got what I wished for in the that Subaru sound. But I got what I wished for and am feeling the sound waves.

I'll take some pictures of the exhaust tips as they currently sit which are closer to where the stock tips were, inside of the bumper edge.  It looks like the tips are separate and can be extended. 

Edited by ashwinearl

Here is a picture of the X-force exhaust tip and where the end currently sits at my bumber.  I am not sure yet how much I have to work with on the exit of the muffler to move the stock tips out.  

I recall Max Capcity talking about after market tips that are longer, or there are these slip on tips from Amazon. That will be my first step is moving the tips out past the bumber. Next step will be vibrant resonator install, or custom fabricated 1/4 wave resonator.

As always with this car, all the warnings were there in the forums/posts about drone with afermarket CBE, but just have to experience it yourself and work through it. 

IMG_20220729_114311.jpg

IMG_20220729_114324.jpg

You may be able to get a roll of metal flashing, like they put on houses to add length and test for little money.  I think that idea has been used on here in the past.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chimibyflashing&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS906US906&oq=chimibyflashing+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i13l6j0i13i457j0i13l2.17171j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here