LegacyGT.com

winter brake problems?

john_galt

hi guys- i just got back from winter break, where my legacy sat outside for about 3 weeks in the cold and wetness of NY. i dont know if my pads could've gotten stuck to the rotors, but when i went to pull away the driveline seemed stuck, just like the parking brake was on. I worked the pedal a bunch and the handbrake, and still no luck. I got the car to pull away after revving to almost 3k and, but only after a couple tries at 2k were unsuccessful (both in 1st and reverse), and it sounded pretty bad getting underway, like a major clunk and noises you hate hearing from your car. The car had to be moved (i'd unknowingly parked illegally while it was snowing heavily before xmas) but using the break produced so significant shuddering and just did not feel good.

I know i need to get the car in for an oil change soon, but it's only got ~32k miles... can anyone offer some insight into what could be wrong? My rotors looked really rusted, not a big surprise considering the car was sitting out in the wet for 3 weeks, could this have been the problem? It doesn't seem like it'd be great to drive on, but does this sound excessible serious?

If the rust is the problem, would i need new rotors and pads? i'd think the stockers would be good for more than 32k... and if it wasn't the rust, what other courses of action would i need to take?

finally, what would be a good dealership or local place to take to have work done. getting away from school is really tough, so being close (west point/newburgh area) would be great. I'm crossing my fingers that this isn't as bad as i think it could be.

thanks guys....

yep. Once a good warming or pressure to the brake pedal is applied the rust will be gone and you will be good to go.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

I've also had significant (and quick) rust issues on my '01. I've taken to not leaving the parking brake on when leaving the car sit for a while. I think the problem is when it rusts unevenly, because the discs don't rust where the pads are against it.

If your handbrake was on, it's possible the cable seized, and the pads wouldn't let go.

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

wehre i live high winds are common. So when it get really cold the brakes will seize up for a bit. Once you get going it will make a clunk but after you hit the brakes a couple times your back in buisness.

OTM.

I've also had significant (and quick) rust issues on my '01. I've taken to not leaving the parking brake on when leaving the car sit for a while. I think the problem is when it rusts unevenly, because the discs don't rust where the pads are against it.

If your handbrake was on, it's possible the cable seized, and the pads wouldn't let go.

The parking brake has nothing to do with the rotors and pads. Its connected to drum brake pads inside the rear rotors. Yes, its possible those pads can get stuck to the drum as well, but would be easily freed up when the car rolls back.

ignore him, he'll go away.

The parking brake has nothing to do with the rotors and pads. Its connected to drum brake pads inside the rear rotors. Yes, its possible those pads can get stuck to the drum as well, but would be easily freed up when the car rolls back.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have 4 wheel disc brakes...

Doesn't that mean no drums?

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

yes we have disc brakes. but the emergency brake works like a drum for the rear. one of those things that i wont be able to describe but a pic is worth a thousand words.

OTM.

I see it in the service manual. I was under the impression that the parking brake also snugs against the discs, as it doesn't seem to rust underneath the pads.

I see it in the service manual. I was under the impression that the parking brake also snugs against the discs, as it doesn't seem to rust underneath the pads.

the pads are basically still sitting on the rotor from when you parked the car and had the brake pedal pushed in which keeps water away from that part of the rotor surface.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Have good reports from Feder's in Middletown. The service manager who took

real good care (Tony) retired last year, but the new man seems good too.

Use kind words with mrs jones at the service desk, and it'll go far to getting you in and out.

i do my own basics,so i only go if I have warranty issues (none with the 07 so far and my anniversary is at the end of the month, with 24K now).

Haven't dealt with Hudson Valley Subaru in Wappingers Falls, since they moved and became independent.

O.

Archived