LegacyGT.com

Which tire on 17x8: 235/40, 235/45, 245/40?

caramall2

I've gotten good feedback from a couple members and read some good posts, but thought I'd throw this out there to the masses.

I’m about ready to buy new summer tires (Dunlop Z1...hear they run wide) for 17x8” rims (I have Zeal coilovers, lowered about 1”). I may autocross them a little or maybe some track time, but I have R-compounds I use for the track. Trying to decide between the three (may even throw in 225/45…what I have now, but wanted to go wider).

235/40: Would be my choice except one thing…I don’t like the fact that their diam is less than stock (I actually like being a little over stock). This is for two reasons—rim protection, slightly higher gearing (though I realize it’s minimal).

235/45: Plenty of protection, but wondering about sidewall being too high, or diam too large (both for fit, sloppiness, acceleration, etc).

245/40: Want to make sure this wouldn’t rub. Also, is this too wide for 8”? It will be my “daily driver” tire in the summer so I don’t want to go too extreme. I also am a little concerned about getting into trade-offs with camber--cornering vs straightline braking.

Comments?

I can't really comment on any but the 235/45. I run that in a Potenza s-03 on STI BBS takeoffs. It's taller than stock, but not by a lot and doesn't throw the speed-o off too much (except on the track, it was off about 5-7 mph at around 115). Sidewall protection is good and no problems with sloppiness, etc

And I can only comment on the 235/40's. While they are a little smaller you can't really tell visually or by the speedometer/tach. I'm lower 1 inch on iON springs and no rub. I probably would have went with the 245/40's but the tire I chose (Falken Azenis) didn't come it 245/40. I think the 245's will rub slightly but you can get by with it by rolling the inner lip on the rears. And 245's aren't too wide for an 8 inch rim.

Oh and that's with a 48mm offset...

Archived