LegacyGT.com

Which oil pan, pick up, dipstick? for refresh

My engine is out and the oil pan looks a little rusty.

What is the current recommendation for oil pan replacement? I am assuming changing the pickup is a good preventative measure too?

I've seen recommendations for Killer B, Moroso oil pickups, and STI oil pans but it is confusing which model year STI, or should I stick with OEM for a pan? If changing oil pans, do they come with corresponding dipstick.

This is for a daily driver application, not track, or hill climb racing. 2005 Legacy GT wagon, VIN: 4S3BP676X56337331

thanks.

I would recommend switching to 2006+ LGT oil pan setup. It doesn't have the stupid restrictors on the drain plug hole, which makes changing the oil way less messy. They also have a slightly different oil pan baffle design, which I believe the 2006+ is better (with less left over dirty oil per change).

2006 LGT:

Oil Pan: 11109AA151

Dipstick: 11140AA150

Oil baffle and Dipstick guide show to be the same part numbers, but for sake of having it in one spot:

Baffle: 10915AA010

Dipstick Guide: 15144AA011

Also I would go with aftermarket pickup tube as others have mentioned, especially since OEM 2006+ tend to crack easily. I think 2005's do eventually too but not nearly as much.

2005 Pickup Tube: 15049AA070

2006 Pickup Tube: 15049AA110

Edited by covertrussian

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I still can’t understand under what conditions / for what reasons pickup tube breaks.

Especially if someone does not use his car at track/drug.

I do not track my car and the pick up on my 06 failed. I am so so glad I suspected it to be the reason for lower than usual oil pressure at start up for the first couple of seconds after cold start up.

Reason could be resonance, harmonics at a certain RPM range, causing vibrations just right to make parts fail.

The answer on the oil pick up seems to be more or less bad brazing on a large batch. It cracks at the brazing usually and only for a very narrow range of years. I think it's only early 06. Mine was fine.

That said I did oe oil pan and killer b baffle and pickup. I was feeling spendy. It's a dd as well. My understanding of why people like the killer b pan is because it holds 2qts more oil. And more oil is better especially in cars that use lots of oil and especially when people start pushing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually prefer the lower oil quantity, it's really nice to just buy one 5QT jug to change the oil, especially on a daily. That's why I went with 11109AA15 oil pan and will do a Moroso pickup, more then good enough for daily.

22 Ascent STOCK

My oilpan's partnumber # 11109-AA131.

Is it good enough?

That's the 2005 design, it's the one that has the multi-hole drain plug hole. If you can live with that, it's fine. You can use a fumito valve to help with that, which is what honestly prevented me from ripping mine out still. But between rusting pan and leaking fumito valve, it's time for me to switch to 11109AA151 (which is still used in 2019 STI's)

22 Ascent STOCK

The 5qt thing kills me. I decided to start out with rotella and see how that goes until I spend time to look more into oil. 4qt jugs though.

Yea I don't see the need for a big one on a daily. And I don't really see why you wouldn't do a fumoto valve. I still make a mess without one as the oil SHOOTS out. And I always get messy with the filter so maybe it doesn't matter much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk