LegacyGT.com

Weak 5 Speed Manual Tranmissions?

KartRacerBoy

I ran into an acquaintance with a 2005 LGT 5 spd Manual wagon today from New Jersey with PDX 1.5 stage mods (UP, D/P, Cobb AP w/ PDX maps, and Perrin TMIC). He has only 20,000 miles on his car but admits he hammers the heck out of it. He doesn't post on forums to protect his fraudulent warranty claims.

He said his 5th gear teeth recently stripped and Subaru is giving him a new tranny under warranty (brought his car to shop stock). One of the mechs said that the 5 spd manual is too weak for anything over 250 hp.

First, it seems odd that 5th gear would go first and second, it seems odd that Subaru would choose a tranny with so little buffer for extra power.

Anyone else suffered this problem?

there are plenty of people throwing more than 250hp through the stock 5-spd (shaggygt, farmerjonbmx, edmundu, etc.) and they have not encountered these types of problems. i know that it doesn't answer your specific question, but it should count for something

Our tranny is supposed to be a "reinforced" version of the WRX tranny. In the WRX it hasn't exactly been a paragon of reliability under increased power, but it's longevity seems to be tied heavily to driver ability and habits. Similarly, I have a couple old Merkur XR4Ti's that still have their stock T9 trannies. Those were some really weak trannies that could barely cope with the torque of a stock motor. Both of my cars are modded and neither tranny has given me any problems.

Several people on this forum have run signifigantly increased power through their trannies without issue. Power levels that would likely have killed a WRX transmission. I personally feel that if not abused the stock 5MT is plenty strong for most folks. Beat on it like a rented mule and expect to pay the price.

I am running Stage 2 and running in the low 13's in the 1/4 mile with a 2005 LGT MT, I have 50,000 miles on my car and running at the dragstrip atleast once a month sometimes every week. Making sometimes 7 or 8 passes a night. I have not had any problems whatsoever with the transmission.. Its still working just as good as when it was new. I havent had any problems anywhere with the car. This is the only car (including trucks) I have ever had that could put up with my driving and not break..

Ask PDX about the tranny. They havent been able to break it yet. With thier super clamping SPEC clutch setup and thier rotated mount GT30R. They have beaten on it and broken halfshafts but thier tranny is still fine.

Maybe the tech was talking about the clutch that thing cant handle my huffy bicycle.

this is exactly what is happening to me.. any idea what shop he went to to have it replaced under warantee? Mine grinds above 85 shifting into 5th no matter what at this point. EDIT: It seems strange to me why subaru would not just reinforce all of the gears and not just 1st and 2nd.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

this is exactly what is happening to me.. any idea what shop he went to to have it replaced under warantee? Mine grinds above 85 shifting into 5th no matter what at this point. EDIT: It seems strange to me why subaru would not just reinforce all of the gears and not just 1st and 2nd.

I have never had problems shifting into 5th at high speed, 100 plus ... oops, did i say that, i dont actually drive that fast ... :icon_wink:icon_wink

Then again my car only has 4800 miles.

I love my car ... basically.

same here. reverse is horrible. complete stop and everything. very hard to get into gear.

After changing the gear oil to MTL-R, I noted a distinct improvement in smoothness. Much less gear notchiness feeling, and more of a hydraulic cushioned/dampened feeling instead.

This wasn't only with the MTL-R, when I had Penn Synthetic in there it did well, also. Only when it was 90*+, did it feel thinned out, hence why I'm running the MTL-R oil.:icon_bigg

I just reached 98,000kms on my 05LGT and when I press

firmly on the throttle ( without mashing it ) the car kinda jolts

a bit. I feel this mostly in 3rd gear. I'm not sure whether it's

the clutch going or whether there's a little 'looseness' in the

tranny. I'm no expert but what do you guys think...my

warranty expires at 100K kms so I got a little time left.

I pamper my car pretty much, no hard launches or anything

like that, car is stock, I don't ride the clutch or leave

my hand on the shifter. Sorry, not trying to hijack thread just

need a few 'expert' opinions, I don't want to waste a day

at my dealer if I don't have to... heh ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Grinding when going into gear is usually more of a synchro issue than a gear strength issue.

• 5 years later...
HTA68 on E85 is showing 400+wtq on the road dyno. No issues...but I don't launch or powershift ever.

I think the last part is the secret hint there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived