LegacyGT.com

Wanting information on 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited

Johnder96

5EAT is not a CVT. You have not provided much pertinent information about the condition of the car, so I'll make an attempt to give you some background on these cars. If you do not have the access to tools and spare $5-6k in emergency funds to buy another car or replacement engine shortblock and turbo, do not consider it. It is a 15-16 year old turbo engine and the cars are notorious for dashboard rattles, rust in the rear wheel wells, door belt trim needing replacement, and some have issues with the #4 cylinder ringland or turbo failure. Others have issues with the center differential transfer drive bearings. The radiator is probably going to fail at some point >150k miles. The intercooler is probably leaking by now as well. Rear wheel bearings fail occasionally.

I am at 186k miles now on the original drivetrain. I have done most of my own work. I have replaced my center transfer drive bearings at ~100k (and again at 180k when I replaced the center diff and transfer gear shafts). I've replaced my left rear wheel bearing twice. Water pump and radiator within a few months of each other at 150k or so. I perform regular service to fluids (~5k miles on Rotella T6, 60k on the gear oils). My starter needs to be removed and greased because it hangs during warm restarts in the winter now, but that is a fairly straightforward DIY.

I think I have averaged a mechanical breakdown of some sort every two or three years of ownership (going on 10 years now).

• 2 weeks later...

Man do not move on, save up and find a good one. these are the under dogs of the tuning world. I bought mine with the intention's of putting all new stuff in the car. I am doing that in April at a great shop. Do not forget that other car have their problems also.

If you want to learn about cars and not just drive them, put gas in them, and get oil changes at a shop, then this is the car for you.