LegacyGT.com

Upgraded to an Evo16g dyno specs included..

I decided to pull my 8 year old VF52 off the car and swap out the side feed 740's for top feed 1050's, TGV deletes, and the old Walbro fuel pump with a DW 65c. Finally made sense to pull the OEM air intake off and put on a Cobb intake as the 16G is just starting to tip the scales maxing of the capabilities of the OEM unit. Once again thanks to Brandon, Chris and everyone at Cobb Surgeline here in Portland for doing great work. The car feels great, nice linear power delivery and it pulls hard. The BNR Evo 16g was a custom build, with an Iconel spindle and billet wheel with a few other tweaks for better oiling. Final numbers on Surgeline's Mustang dyno, (which can be a bit of a heart breaker) landed at 331whp / 333wtq. Super happy with it, looking forward to track season this summer!

SCAN0370.thumb.jpg.dc4373f3bc859800b0751065266688c5.jpg

Just running my usual 32oz can per full tank of gas and only at the track. Hoping to get on with the BMW day at PIR on Thursday. Registration is closed but they have spots left so we'll see. I wanted to wait until my dyno session incase anything went sideways :)

Max- the VF52 seems to be pretty good, a little side to side play but nothing appears to be coming into contact with anything. It was still putting down good power on on my retune a few months ago but they had to significantly modify the parameters to get it to put down the same power. Definitely no complaints on my time with the VF52, it’s what the car should have come with from the factory. I probably wouldn’t put it back in a car now just due to the age of the turbo, 8 years / 45k mi, and plenty of track days, but it will be a great candidate for re-build / customization from any of a number of the trusted builders in the Suby community.

Was not disappointed at the track yesterday! Shaved almost 3.5 sec off my personal best at PIR here in Portland with a 1:30:11. Could definitely feel the car pulling harder in the upper revs. Also really surprised with the comparison between my Perrin TMIC and the new Grimmspeed. While the hot side was warm for sure as you slide your hand towards the intake side it just got cooler and cooler with it being downright chilly at the end. Nice job GS, my Perrin never felt like that at the end of a 20 min session.

Amazing looking car. Wish I could have heard it run.

When I get things built up, I'd love to get a GS TMIC. Heck, even just a Perrin at this point would be nice over stock, but make do with what I have.

When I get things built up, I'd love to get a GS TMIC. Heck, even just a Perrin at this point would be nice over stock, but make do with what I have.

Might want to avoid the AVO/Perrin/Misimoto style TMIC's. Covertrussian found the stock TMIC performed better.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/post-intercooler-iat-testing-268293.html

shralp: Does your VF52 number include the GS IC, or was that added with the EVO3 16G? I'm curious what gains came from the turbo, and what came from supporting mods.

the gains were from the 16G and fueling upgrades. I had the Grimmspeed put on a few months ago while it was in for some other work and they put it on the dyno for me just to see if the tune was still ok with just swapping out the Perrin for the Grimmspeed. This was when they found that they had to significantly alter the tune to put down the same power I was putting down from my dyno a few years ago and what led them to believe that the turbo was getting long in the tooth, as well as my fueling set up. My DW740's are 8 yrs old as was the Walbro fuel pump so potential issues with efficiency in that area along with the turbo having been pushed pretty hard for that long is what made me make the swap. So a bit hard to say as its not totally apple to apple comparison but I can say that all they could safely get out of my old set up with the addition of the GS TMIC was 294whp, and now with the 1050 injectors, move to top feed, (OEM top feed fuel rails), TGV deletes and a DW65C pump puts me at the new numbers. Fueling (as in not enough) was never the issue with the VF52 on the 740's and Walbro, but that was 8 years ago so hard to say what they were doing as of now...

Might want to avoid the AVO/Perrin/Misimoto style TMIC's. Covertrussian found the stock TMIC performed better.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/post-intercooler-iat-testing-268293.html

shralp: Does your VF52 number include the GS IC, or was that added with the EVO3 16G? I'm curious what gains came from the turbo, and what came from supporting mods.

I was just finishing my way through that thread and saw his detailed info on that. Good stuff.

His methodology is very thorough. A bit crude at times, but hey, good data.

Fueling (as in not enough) was never the issue with the VF52 on the 740's and Walbro, but that was 8 years ago so hard to say what they were doing as of now...

When I get those 740's back from Deatsch, I'll put up the results for you.

I want to give a quick shout out to John (forum member JmP6889928) for building this custom 16G for me. I just happened to get lucky as I was aware that he's taking a little break from turbo services right now because he's quite busy with other aspects of life. I contacted him to see if and when he might jump back into the build game and he happened to have a 16G that had been built for someone else and the sale fell through. It was ready to go and after talking with him about my goals we opted to swap in a billet wheel instead of the cast one that was already installed. With his 11 blade VF52 in my Stage 2 Outback daily driver and now the custom 16G in my GT Wagon track car, I can say I'm backing his skills. John knows whats up and its obvious his attention to detail and meticulous skill set pay off in spades for building reliable power. Thanks again John, let us know when you're back in the game, you've got another happy customer!

IMG_4404.thumb.jpg.18a44b0d153fe6d92a8141f4df88f52f.jpg

FWIW, for others looking to have a turbo rebuilt. Tuning Alliance also rebuilds them.

TuningAlliance@gmail.com

You should see Mikes new toy on his face book page. He knows Evo's too.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=tuningalliance.com&form=IENTHT&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=f917fae61f484a76a0ddb1bf61dc88b8&sp=-1&pq=tuningalliance.com&sc=2-18&qs=n&sk=&cvid=f917fae61f484a76a0ddb1bf61dc88b8

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

shralp, do you happen to have the airflow numbers for your car now?

We're running pretty similar setups (Aftermarket intake, BNR16g, GS IC, TGV deletes, ID1050X's), so presuming they used the published ID scaling our G/sec should be comparable. I'm working on scaling an intake and want to sanity check it.

shralp, do you happen to have the airflow numbers for your car now?

We're running pretty similar setups (Aftermarket intake, BNR16g, GS IC, TGV deletes, ID1050X's), so presuming they used the published ID scaling our G/sec should be comparable. I'm working on scaling an intake and want to sanity check it.

I don't have airflow numbers currently but I'll contact Cobb Surgeline to see if they have that data and let you know

Great numbers! Curious about how much boost you were running on VF52, about 18-19psi too? If so this confirms that 16G is superior to the VF52. Though going from 15 to 19 psi only netted you 5whp per psi, could mean the turbo is running out of breath or you are starting to hit another restriction.

Also I see your making 311whp on 15psi, which is pretty close to what my Virtual Dyno's are showing on a good day on my evo3 16g.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Great numbers! Curious about how much boost you were running on VF52, about 18-19psi too? If so this confirms that 16G is superior to the VF52. Though going from 15 to 19 psi only netted you 5whp per psi, could mean the turbo is running out of breath or you are starting to hit another restriction.

Also I see your making 311whp on 15psi, which is pretty close to what my Virtual Dyno's are showing on a good day on my evo3 16g.

Yup I was running 18.5 lbs on the VF-52. Based on what Chris at Cobb Surgeline finds with the VF-52, you just aren't going to get any more out of that turbo beyond that on pump gas, (92). My Torco tune on the VF-52 was the same as well at 18.5 lbs. I can definitely say that the 16G felt better on track, it pulled much better up in the higher revs where it typically lives in that scenario. Really felt that behind the wheel, (and dropped almost 3.5 sec. off my personal best for Portland Intl. Raceway). I'm sure something more 18G / 20G 'ish would feel even better in the upper revs but I could definitely feel a noticeable difference on track for sure. Not sure if the billet wheel or Iconel spindle is helping with numbers, or just spool up time. I assume its running out of breath up top as its still just a 16G after all. Running stock exhaust manifolds on this set up currently, could do better with a EL header I assume.

Could you log a 3rd gear pull on your AP? Only need Maf flow (g/sec), manifold pressure, rpm, and throttle angle.

Yup can do that for you but it might be a little while :) Other than the occasional weekend country road toss, I pretty much drive it to the track, on the track, and home these days. Looks like it won't be on track for another 4 weeks, if I get it out on the road before then I'll do a third gear pull as well.

What is your suspension setup? I see very little body lean in that picture.

RCE Tarmac coilovers with Swift 10k springs F & R, Perrin rear sway with Perrin brackets, Whiteline adj end links. Perrin front sway with Rallitek HD endlinks. Cusco rear strut tower brace. Camber is -2.5 front -.75 rear 0 toe

Archived