LegacyGT.com

Turbo making a noise

My 05 gt with a vf40 started to make a slight moaning/hum/whistle noise that seemed to correlate roughly with expected turbo speed (not boost). I drove it home very gently and parked it (a few miles). I assumed the turbo was dying and drained the oil (I run Rotella T6 which was due anyhow, was dark but zero glitter to be seen). It has always consumed oil, and was lower than I'd expected but not hugely so. I was not burning enough oil for the smoke to be noticeable from the drivers seat. I ordered a rebuilt turbo from bustedfingermotorsports.com.

I just pulled the turbo, and the impeller does have some very slight motion but there doesn't seem to be any housing rubbing or chewed up vanes. They seem to spin fine (possibly slightly stiffer than the rebuilt unit, but hard to tell).

My question is basically: does this still sound like a failed turbo, or am I looking the wrong direction? I didn't take the time to do a pressure test, or other troubleshooting as I didn't want to chew things up worse, and just assumed I had the typical failed vf40. The sound I heard didn't seem to be a boost leak whistle sound, and wasn't consistent.

How much play is in the new turbo compared to the old one ?

If you can feel the play...you have be close to the edge...

How many miles on the old turbo ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It is hard to tell, I didn't compare directly a-b.

The old turbo was replaced at some point, if PO was to be believed, roughly 30k, but it seems like it may have been a half assed attempt as there are some weird details like mismatched fasteners, and a crummy paint job.

Either way I am going to complete the install this weekend and go from there.