LegacyGT.com

TSK3 or OEM bearing? Which is better? (clutch release bearing/throwout bearing)

caramall2

After having the noise now for a couple weeks and it getting worse, took it to the dealer and the mech there said it is the clutch release ("throwout") bearing or the pilot bearing. For the TOB, which is better to replace it: TSK3 or just an OEM bearing?

I'm about Stage 2.5, ACT clutch with WRX flywheel, 10k miles on the setup.

If they make noise, there is at least some chance that the snout is getting pretty gouged up by the TOB. There have been issues of them snapping the snout off. Whole case needs to be replaced if that happens, a repair that closes in on $1500USD PDQ.

If it's coming out, just do the snout kit.

I'm probably going to do one as preventative maintenance when it comes time to put a clutch in my car.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The snout is a part of the transmission case. It is where the output shaft comes out of the transmission. It is also the place where the throw-out bearing resides. Over times this snout may become out of round because of wear. The tsk3 kit is a cover for this "snout" as well as a new, slightly larger throw-out bearing. The shift fork is the lever beside the snout that moves the throw-out bearing to engage and disengage the clutch. I hope this helps.

p.s. - I have some good pictures of a snout that has been chewed completely off if you want to see it. It is pure carnage :).

Thank you for clarifying. I will be dropping my trans this weekend to do a clutch.. just inspect the area? Or is this a preventative maintaince item I should do even if everything looks great? Ive had no abnormal noises, so I dont expect any grenaded bearings.. just have a slipping clutch.

Thank you for clarifying. I will be dropping my trans this weekend to do a clutch.. just inspect the area? Or is this a preventative maintaince item I should do even if everything looks great? Ive had no abnormal noises, so I dont expect any grenaded bearings.. just have a slipping clutch.

If it were me I would use the tsk3 kit. This is coming from someone who experienced a catastrophic failure of a throw-out bearing, however. I believe the real issue in my case was that the lubrication on the snout dried out and the TO bearing wore down the snout. You might consider it $130 worth of insurance insurance. If you are like me you have probably spent a lot more on a lot less.

I have the 2.5i and am having the same issue as everyone else it seems of a bad bearing. Looking at the TSK3 and it seems it will not fit. Does that seem correct to you?

I have only about 75k miles on this thing and don't really drive it hard so I am surprised that this thing is going.

Anyone know where I could pick up a whole kit for the 2.5i? Everywhere I look it seems to be for GTs. Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

I have the 2.5i and am having the same issue as everyone else it seems of a bad bearing. Looking at the TSK3 and it seems it will not fit. Does that seem correct to you?

I have only about 75k miles on this thing and don't really drive it hard so I am surprised that this thing is going.

Anyone know where I could pick up a whole kit for the 2.5i? Everywhere I look it seems to be for GTs. Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

Super great question. I wish I had a super great answer. I know the GT and 2.5i transmissions are different in terms of internals. I believe the case is the same, however. I guess the questions are :

1) Do both transmissions engage the clutch in the same way (pull vs. push style clutch engagment)

2) Does the tsk3 fit ?

3) Is it needed?

and

4) Does anyone with first hand experience know the answers to these questions?

so...the sound went away yesterday...does that happen sometime? Maybe it quieted down after wearing out worse? Possible?

Mechanical problems rarely fix themselves.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

+1 to that last comment. Mine has a very faint squeal, definitely the TOB. Was going to replace it @ end of last winter, but it "went away" come springtime & the warmer temps. Now it's back. To OP, some forum members have a had success in getting the dealer to warranty TOB replacement.

so...the sound went away yesterday...does that happen sometime? Maybe it quieted down after wearing out worse? Possible?

Temperature effects the sound of the TO bearing. Usually colder weather makes it worse. In any case, It will not fix itself. Just get it fixed when you can.

• 9 years later...

I am going to bump a 10 year old thread :spin: :spin:

I think the title of this thread is still relevant today. And we may be able to get more feedback now that more people used the TSK3 kit. I've been using these for a while on my cars. And my feeling is that these bearings are not as high quality as the OEM ones. Yes, we have the sleeve to protect the snout. But still, I feel the tsk3 bearings fail sooner than the oem ones. I just removed the engine from the 05. tsk3 kit has 25000 miles and it needs to be changed already.

I am going to bump a 10 year old thread :spin: :spin:

I think the title of this thread is still relevant today. And we may be able to get more feedback now that more people used the TSK3 kit. I've been using these for a while on my cars. And my feeling is that these bearings are not as high quality as the OEM ones. Yes, we have the sleeve to protect the snout. But still, I feel the tsk3 bearings fail sooner than the oem ones. I just removed the engine from the 05. tsk3 kit has 25000 miles and it needs to be changed already.

I don't think the oem bearings really are that great either, hence the need for the snout cover. Sure the oem bearing is better quality overall but both throwout bearings fail far sooner than the clutch pressure plate or clutch disc. It always becomes a "while you're in there" repair.

I'm not a machinist but I bet the lubricant (grease or antiseize) used on the snout is the actual reason for premature wear rather than the bearing itself.

• 2 weeks later...

here is what I know from my shop that I am taking my car too soon. I told them about the TSK kit and they said I could bring it if I want, but If I used it, I would have to stick with it and if things went wrong I would have to get the same parts to fix it. If I used OEM stuff I would have no worry and would be fine.

I decided not to go with it after talking to them more. They did not recommend it. So it saved me another 160 bucks. Love this shop cause they do not try to sell you stuff. Oh and the build rally cars also.

Yeah. That kit is expensive. I installed both of them on my cars. On one of them, the sleeve actually came loose and was moving along with the bearing (which explains why I had issues when changing gears during the past few months)...

Anyway, I still went ahead and got another one. It hurt when I clicked 'purchase'...

But regarding what they said, if it fails, you don't have to get another one of these, you could always replace it with OEM.

I bought the TSK3 kit when my throw out bearing went out with my southbend stage 3 daily smfw setup. The guy who installed my clutch was a master subaru tech and told me to get an ACT HD clutch and theor lightweight flywheel. I had all the parts and he did not install the tsk3 kit at all. I ended up selling it. 2 years later I think and still no issues. I'm sure there will be mixed reviews. But I'm happy with the ACT setup without the tsk3 kit. Keep in mind I have grimmspeed tmic, id1000s, stx71 turbo, perrin ELH on e85 and it's going strong no issues with clutch etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Still no 'bird chirping' at idle? Mine did it pretty quick.
It was chirping last month for about 3 weeks. That's about it. I literally thought it was time to finally go 6 speed swap lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano