LegacyGT.com

Trouble after ocv replacement?

Made a post about my situation but didnt get much help, cant really find what I'm looking for on older threads. Basically the oil control valves were acting up with the p0021 code. Cleaned em, drove fine for a week, then my replacements came in and replaced both sides just to be sure. The ocv % is dead on with each other, stay synced nearly all the time. Weird part is my avcs isnt moving much. I got a 9 on left 8 on right and they always stay within 2 degrees but under all sorts of driving loads they mostly stayed at 0 or 1. Before the replacements they were actually moving up to the 40s but one was lagging hence the replacement. This cant be right? Did I miss something on the install? I mean they're super simple, cant imagine I messed anything up too bad? Again any help is greatly appreciated, just cant figure this one out

Just searched the forums for about 2 hours and cant seem to find what my avcs numbers should look like. I may be missing something, anybody know a thread or site or anything that could point me in the right direction?

Made sure oil levels were good then let her warm up for about 10 mins before driving it for another 20 under different conditions. Gently and hard throttle, no change

Part numbers were

beck/arnley 0241957

“The 40s” sounds like duty cycles.

“8/9” is degrees of advance.

Kinda sounds like you might be comparing two different measurements.

Mine are 40-50 duty cycle for cruising and 8-9 degrees.

I’ll get up to 12-14 degrees if I’m getting into it.

I suppose I could have been confusing the 2, didnt really take a picture of the readings before the replacement. I'm getting up to about 9 if I'm wot but cruise around anywhere between 1 and 5. It just seemed odd to me but would you say those are average numbers? Dont really know what else to go off of

What are you using to monitor? The ocv duty cycle L&R is where you would see 9% etc. and avcs in L&R is where you’d see numbers up to like 40*.

If it is your avcs that is rising to only around 9* at wot hopefully someone else here will chime in with some insight. How’s your DAM look?

Using those 2 indeed. Reading both, the DAM is solid at 1.000. What's weird is over the past few days the avcs is starting to move around a little more. Just now for example under just regular driving advanced the left side to 18 and the right at 13, which is better then staying at 0 but isnt it bad if they advance not within 2 of each other?

Alright I take it back. Literally the same drive home from the store i got the p0021 and p0011 code this time instead of just the one. DAM dropped 0.625, both ocv while driving were only at 9.4, avcs pegged at 0. Previously I only got the p0021 code but now I have both, is there a chance i bought some dodgy oil valves?

Could be. Do you still have the old ones laying around? If so throw them back in and see if you get an immediate difference. Put both back though for comparison. Not sure if DAM will cause a pull in cam timing or just ignition timing so that may not play into this. Someone here with more knowledge of that may chime in.

Yeah idk if this is a uncommon issue but I havent been finding much. Thank you much for the responses. After I restarted the engine they started working again, they just seek iffy as hell. I'll try putting the old ones but should I clear the engine code or leave it there to see if the ecu turns it off eventually?

Sure enough some driving and the DAM has hopped back up to 1.000. Car runs fine and seems to be doing nicely but I've been watching the avcs and ofcvs, ofcvs are actually working ever since and they seem to be doing well but the avcs seems to be off. I have my left side advancing to 21 and my right side advancing to 15. Does this mean the driver side is still over advancing? What do I need to do to fix this? Keep my car on the road a reliable daily driver?

Earlier you wrote that the right was at 15 and left at 21. If left is the one that’s lagging I’d double check that the banjo screen is gone on the front of the head behind the timing cover. I believe 08 had it there just like my 06. There is a writeup somewhere on here for how to dremel down the head to make room to get it out without removing the cam gears to get to it. If it’s the right side lagging then check the one on the back of the right side head just in front of the turbo.

Oil level is brand new 5w-30, full synthetic pennzoil. I've checked the banjos above each avcs, in 08 they moved the turbo feed banjo from behind the passenger side head to directly beneath the turbo inlet pipe. It sounds like it might be the one behind the timing cover, I didnt pull that one yet simply because the difficulty but I may have to. I'm gonna be really upset if i pull it and theres no banjo screen lol because them I'm left guessing again. Thank you

I dont remember a banjo being underneath the timing cover. There are no oil lines there. Avcs gets oil from cams/caps. The filter you want is underneath intake, accessible from the rear. There might be one on turbo and one on driver side ocv if your in usa.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Interesting, mine dont seem accessible from the rear? It's like right under the turbo inlet pipe right before it meets the turbo. I haven't found a right up for pulling that guy out, sure would be nice to find lol it's different on 08s but most have a write up on 05 through 07

They do indeed have that one on the drivers side. As for the turbo feed I was following that thread but that's for an 05 to 07. In 08 and 09 they moved the turbo feed banjo. Didnt realize until I unbolted the uppipe support bracket

I believe the indicator that a filter is present is the nub on top of the bolt but not 100% sure.

Here’s a couple threads on how to get the drivers side out if you need to.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/avcs-banjo-bolt-screen-228189.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1326330&postcount=158

Passenger side can be removed with a short box wrench and some muscle. Reinstalling the bolt is tricky. I (like others here) used dental floss to get the inner crush washer back into place. It’s definitely a test of patience.... but what isn’t on these cars??

If the nub is a sign of a filter then maybe I dont have one? Theres no nub on the drivers side banjo behind the timing cover on the 08 spec b. As for the others I thought there was only 4? The two on top of the heads for the avcs, the turbo feed, and then the drivers side one behind the timing? Is there more? I've pulled the 2 on top of the heads and there was no banjo in place. Havent pulled the turbo feed yet due to being under the turbo inlet pipe, gonna need some time to work on that one