LegacyGT.com

Transmission Serial Number?

DSTG

Hello all. Long story short, I'm trying to figure out if I have my original transmission installed after a shop did a reverse gear replacement. 2010 Legacy GT, US version.

Problem is, what's installed right now is painted gray and the original wasn't, and I don't know if it's common practice for the shop to put a layer of paint whenever they take apart and rebuild a transmission, or if instead of actually ordering and installing the parts they listed, they just found it easier to put another transmission in from some other source. They had the car for a couple months waiting on parts.

From what I understand is that there *should* be a VIN number on the driver's side of the transmission somewhere. I don't know if this is supposed to be etched or stamped in, or on some plate they it's on that may very well have been removed or painted over. Does anyone have a pic or a moment to have a peek at their untampered 6MT?

I know "call the shop and ask them." Not really an option right now. They are so far pretty resistant to backing up their work, and on top of that, refuse to actually go on a test drive with me in the car, as they claim there's no clutch slipping, when it clearly is in 3rd-6th gear from around 3000 rpm. So, I'm not interested in more of their BS. Ultimately, I intend to just take them to court for a refund since they refuse to warranty their work. Thanks in advance.